Going Vegetarian? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For various reasons I've been thinking about going vegetarian.  Mostly because it feels like the next healthy step in eating clean.  I get filled up and satisfied on fruits, veggies and whole grains.  I still eat meats, but gradually I've come to not desire them.  I also don't like working with raw meat anymore.  I am paranoid for the yucky stuff that is in meats and all the recalls of meat and so forth.  Plus, meat is expensive!  I'm really leaning towards cutting it out, gradually.  I'd keep the dairy and eggs (I know some don't go that route, but for now I would.)  I really don't think I'd miss meat all that much.  

Here's the thing, my husband likes meat, not like a slab on his plate at every meal, but he likes chicken noodle soup and beef chunks in chili and stuff like that.  He LOVES fish.  And here's the sticker, he hates beans.  He'll only eat beans if it's in a soup and not too many.  He will do things like TVP or other such meat substitutes.  He likes those and finds them an ok compromise.  

Here's the other thing, I run and I love it.  Can I go vegetarian and still have enough energy to run?  

How do I handle my husband?  I think my kids could care less right now.  They are 5 and 2 and will eat meat, maybe, if it's soft enough.  But they love cheese and milk, that's another reason why I want to keep the dairy and eggs.  

What do you think?

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#2 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 03:14 PM

If your DH wants to go veg as well, then you could keep meat substitutes (or cooked, cut up meat if he doesn't want to go veg) that he can toss into whatever the rest of the family is making -- veg. or meat-based meatballs that he can throw into pasta, chicken he could throw into a veggie soup, ground veggie beef or cooked fish he can add to his tacos while the rest of the family uses beans, etc. I would get on the same page as much as possible because you'll go nuts trying to cook separate meals! Maybe he would be willing to eat veg at home & have his meat/fish at lunch at work, or maybe you could do veg meals half the week & meals where he could easily add meat to his portion the rest of the week. In our family, we eat 100% vegan at home, but DH occasionally has non-veg meals when out of the house, and for him that's plenty.

You can definitely run while veg. I used to work out daily (went down the tubes when DS was born!) and have been vegetarian or vegan since I was 12. I ran cross-country/track & played tennis in high school too. If you find you don't have as much energy (I kind of doubt it though) you can add extra fat & protein to your meals/snacks (flax oil, coconut milk, nuts, etc.)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 03:57 PM

It's really not that difficult to have a non-veg in the household esp if you're still eating dairy. A lot of what you'll make can be easily modified like crunchy mama suggests. Your energy will be fine as long as you're still getting in enough nutrients and cals. Again esp while taking in dairy this isn't likely to be an issue!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
#4 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 PM

When DH & I met, I was veg and he wasn't. My rule was, if you want meat, you can cook it! I continued to serve vegetarian meals, and he quickly realized that it was a lot more work to make meat to add into things than to just eat what I was making. It's not that hard to separate out a portion of a meal you're making so he can add whatever meat he wants to it. After a while, he rarely ate meat, except when we went out to restaurants or he ate out for lunch. Years later, he ended up becoming vegetarian himself, mostly vegan as a matter of fact. He just started realizing how much better he felt when he wasn't eating meat or dairy.

I also wouldn't buy meat for him, so if you husband wanted fish for dinner or something, then I would be expecting him to plan and shop for his own meal that night. If he put non-meat things on the list, I'd buy them, but I sure wouldn't plan, buy, or cook anything special for him. But you'll have to figure out where you draw the line for yourself.

As for having energy--many athletes are vegetarian or vegan. My husband has some intense exercise that he does, and he's found that giving up meat has made him feel healthier all around, less weighted down, in better condition.

Here's a list I found of professional athletes and Olympians (including marathoners) who are vegetarian:

http://www.veganathlete.com/vegan_vegetarian_athletes.php

There are a ton more pages about it, just google vegetarian athletes.
#5 of 11 Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 PM

A lot of us keep a veg*n household, but have spouses/partners who still eat meat outside the home.  Possibly your Dh would be happy as a pescitarian (fish eater,) which some view as a form of vegetarianism.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM

We have a vegetarian household and my DH eats fish when we are out. Like sushi or at restaurants. He has not had any land animals since we started dating. He had been vegetarian for a decade earlier in his life. I don't think it is a big deal if your DH doesn't want to, but perhaps he would be okay with just eating meat when he is not in the house. 

#7 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM

Regarding running - my husband has been a vegetarian for 12 years and walks 12-15 miles a day.

#8 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffsKat View Post

For various reasons I've been thinking about going vegetarian.  Mostly because it feels like the next healthy step in eating clean.  I get filled up and satisfied on fruits, veggies and whole grains.  I still eat meats, but gradually I've come to not desire them.  I also don't like working with raw meat anymore.  I am paranoid for the yucky stuff that is in meats and all the recalls of meat and so forth.  Plus, meat is expensive!  I'm really leaning towards cutting it out, gradually.  I'd keep the dairy and eggs (I know some don't go that route, but for now I would.)  I really don't think I'd miss meat all that much.  

Here's the thing, my husband likes meat, not like a slab on his plate at every meal, but he likes chicken noodle soup and beef chunks in chili and stuff like that.  He LOVES fish.  And here's the sticker, he hates beans.  He'll only eat beans if it's in a soup and not too many.  He will do things like TVP or other such meat substitutes.  He likes those and finds them an ok compromise.  

Here's the other thing, I run and I love it.  Can I go vegetarian and still have enough energy to run?  

How do I handle my husband?  I think my kids could care less right now.  They are 5 and 2 and will eat meat, maybe, if it's soft enough.  But they love cheese and milk, that's another reason why I want to keep the dairy and eggs.  

What do you think?

YES! I've been veggie for 15+ years and run. I have run A LOT in the past. I'm took a break this fall for some personal stuff, but I have run upward of 50 miles per week for long periods of time, even doing back to back 20 miles. Check out Scott Jurek... he's a vegan ultra runner who is basically considered one of the best, if not the best ultra runner around.

http://www.scottjurek.com/#/home/

http://www.scottjurek.com/blog/

#9 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, sounds good with the running.  I'm wondering if I might not be able to run better without meat?  Maybe.  I guess I'll have to see.

I guess I could keep making the same main dishes and if it's a dish that lends itself to a meat substitute, just use it, or leave it out if I can (like lasagna).  And for other meals, continue to make the meat, not eat it and eat something else that has protein in it, or compensate at another meal (I eat several 'meals' a day, so that would be easy.)  I think I can do it.  And I really want to try, as I just don't crave it, I don't miss it.

I am a bit concerned about the iron deal, though.  I run anemic as it is.  My periods are heavy, although that will change with surgery next week.  How can I get my iron in?  And what other nutrients do I need to be watching for that I make sure I get enough of?  

#10 of 11 Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Iron's the big one for vegetarians. Good vegetable sources include dark green leafy veggies, beans, and whole grains. Cooking in cast iron can boost your intake, and eating iron-rich foods with vitamin C rich ones can help boost absorbtion. Iron deficiency anemia isn't more common in vegetarians than it is in the general population, though. If you are prone to anemia, you may wind up needing a supplement, but you may have needed one as an omnivore, too.

#11 of 11 Old 12-30-2010, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

I did need one as an omnivore.  I guess I wondered if I would need one even more so now.  We'll have to see, I guess.  I dislike taking supplements, but will if needed.  I much rather get my nutrients from the foods I eat, but I realize sometimes that's not possible. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page