Crazy Questions We Get While Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Being veg*n amongst meat-eaters can be hard enough, but when you're pregnant it's like everybody loses heir filter, period. What are some of the silliest/strangest questions you've gotten from folks? 

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Mostly the basic "You're going to eat meat while you're pregnant and nursing, right?" like it is a forgone conclusion. "Where are you getting your protein?" "What if you start craving meat? You'll eat it then, right?"

I blame the TV show 'Friends' for that last one ... I've never watched it, but I was very seriously approached by someone who offered to eat veg for the duration of my pregnancy so that I could eat meat "guilt free" and not deprive my child. Apparently two of the characters on that show had that arrangement.

I only had one meat craving while I was pregnant. It was like 10 at night, I had eaten a good dinner, I wasn't hungry at all, but I was reading a book and someone made beef stew in the book, and I had this sudden, overwheming craving for my mom's beef stew. I don't even LIKE my mom's beef stew. I called her, and asked her how to make it, with some vague thought of maybe veganizing it, but it passed after about 5 minutes or so, before I could form a coherent plan of what to do about it. Mostly I just had food aversions, not cravings.

#3 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks lady! That's so funny that someone sincerely offered you that deal. People are ca-RAZY!  =D

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#4 of 12 Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Catnip, whata hoot. "I'll give up meat for you!". Ummm... it doesn't work like that but thanks for the thought :)

I too got the "At least eat cheese!" And while not diet related, my in-laws and my parents pressured us to take our adopted animals to the pound!! At the time, 4 dogs and 4 cats. As if being pregnant meant we no longer cared about these things that were incredibly important to us anymore?? Oh, and "What about giving your baby breastmilk?? She won't be vegan then!"

Some people just don't get it :)

Vegan, radical homemakin', Waldorf-y mama to the lovely Miss Juniper Belle (3yo).
#5 of 12 Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Catnip - I'm not a Friends fan, but my sister is. I remeber that whole thing. Phoebe was pregnant with triplets (she was acting as a gestational surrogate for her brother and SIL - obviously they had done IVF so the babies would be biologically the SIL's.) and was seriously craving meat. She was veg for ethical reasons, not for health. So Joey, a huge carnivore, offered to go veg while she was pregnant so that she could "eat his cows and no more cows would have to die for her." Somehow, it worked for them. Ridiculous, yes, but I had to admire him for his willingness to give up something he loved so his friend could do what her body was telling her was best for the babies she was carrying without feeling guilty about all the cows she was killing.

#6 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

I also was told my baby wouldn't be vegan because she was breastfed. ????? Also, I had more aversions.  The only thing I craved was ice.  No iron problems, though..

I get more comments now that I am raising a vegan than when I was a pregnant vegan.  Mainly about how "when she is old enough, she will choose to eat meat".  Maybe, but when she is old enough, I am going to tell her why we make the choices we do with our food.  Children are naturally compassionate.  I hope she will choose to stay vegan.   

mdcblog5.gif  http://annapodrisworksinprogress.blogspot.com/  
 namaste.gif  Yoga loving bohemian vegan artist mom of one girl- 10-08hearts.gif, married to my best friend,shamrocksmile.gif who is also an artist.  
#7 of 12 Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanmomma View Post

I also was told my baby wouldn't be vegan because she was breastfed. ?????

Ok, that's just about the silliest/dumbest thing I've ever heard! Obviously some people really have no idea what being vegan means.

orvis likes this.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 12 Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

Ok, that's just about the silliest/dumbest thing I've ever heard! Obviously some people really have no idea what being vegan means.

That is really funny.  I hope they weren't being serious or judgmental of you when they said that and hopefully this person was just being humerus.

#9 of 12 Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceanmomma View Post

I also was told my baby wouldn't be vegan because she was breastfed. ????? Also, I had more aversions.  The only thing I craved was ice.  No iron problems, though..

I get more comments now that I am raising a vegan than when I was a pregnant vegan.  Mainly about how "when she is old enough, she will choose to eat meat".  Maybe, but when she is old enough, I am going to tell her why we make the choices we do with our food.  Children are naturally compassionate.  I hope she will choose to stay vegan.   

A lady who sells cheese at a farmer's market told me the same thing about me vegan breastfed baby....GIVE ME A BREAK!

While pregnant, my mom constantly told me, "Maybe you should think about eating eggs...."

Honestly, I have always hated eggs. The smell of cooked eggs made me nauseous before I was even vegan so I can't imagine how I would react to the smell pregnant.

#10 of 12 Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM

When I went vegan, my aunt said to me (after expressing her disapproval for my inconveniencing my parents, since vegan food is so difficult to cook) "Well, I guess that's okay for you, but of course if you ever had any children, you wouldn't dream of forcing your diet on them.  Right?"  "Of course not."  I said as I demonically cackled in my mind.  Little did she know, I was a few weeks pregnant.  All three of my kiddos have been raised mostly vegan.   

#11 of 12 Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM

My MIL is convinced that my anemia (that I have gotten through my previous three omnivorous pregnancies) will be SO MUCH WORSE now that we're vegan.

The last time she made that comment, I happened to be chowing down on a massive spinach salad.  winky.gif 

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#12 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirdlady View Post

My MIL is convinced that my anemia (that I have gotten through my previous three omnivorous pregnancies) will be SO MUCH WORSE now that we're vegan.

The last time she made that comment, I happened to be chowing down on a massive spinach salad.  winky.gif

And drinking it down with Floradex too huh?  Well I love the taste of that stuff, damn its expensive though.  Spinach salads ain't too bad either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page