birthday cake help, please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i want to make a fairly traditional-style birthday cake for dd, but vegan.  i have usually made white cakes with cream cheese icing, using a better homes & gardens recipe. 

what non-dairy milk do you use for your cakes?  with soymilk it was was much too sweet (tho i could reduce sugar), and since i like a buttermilk flavor in a cake, the soy flavor also was....disappointing.

which egg replacement do you find works best?  i found that applesauce made the cake almost too moist.  in cookies i usually use bakingpowder +water&oil.

for frosting, i used earth balance sticks, confectioners sugar and vanilla.  however, i miss the slight tang of the cream cheese, and without the milk added it would be too thick.  suggestions?

TIA for any ideas.  i really want to master vegan cakes.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have made this cake and loved it, but maybe you don't want chocolate for your DD? Perhaps the ideas might help convert a recipe you like. 

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/making-mandys-chocolate-cake

eta: I have much better luck using creamers instead of soy milk. You can use the soy creamer or I use the coconut creamer. Not flavored, the plain ones. I make a killer vegan ganache with it, you would never know it was not heavy cream. Caramel as well. 

#3 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM

I use coconut milk (either out of the can or so delicious) for milk

I use ground flax + 3 tbs water for the eggs. If you want to add nutrition you could to bananas or pumpkin instead of applesauce

with frosting I use coconut milk too. If you want a cream cheese tang try adding softened tofutti better than cream cheese to it (I add it to shrimp scampi to add a creamy cheesy flavor yum)

if you want a "whipped" frosting you can skim the fatty coconut milk from the top of the can (full fat coconut milk) and whip it then fold it into the frosting.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#4 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM

I've yet to come up with a white cake I really like. I stick with chocolate. :)

With the icing, though, try adding the juice of about 1/2 a Meyer lemon for every half-cup of fat, that is what I do, and I think it is cream cheese-like. Also, I like to go 50/50 EB and shortening, the EB alone is just too ... something. Salty, maybe.

#5 of 9 Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks very much to each of you for these suggestions!

catnip: i tend to believe lemon makes everything better, so yours will be an easy method to employ.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#6 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM

I love this recipe for chocolate cake. So moist. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Eggless-Chocolate-Cake

I too found that EB alone makes icing kinda icky.  Haven't actually perfected vegan icing myself.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#7 of 9 Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 AM

The best vegan icing I've made has been 1/4 cup each tofutti cream cheese, eb and spectrum palm shortening, the juice of 1 Meyer lemon, a tablespoon or 2 of soymilk, 2 tsps vanilla, and 4-5 cups of icing sugar.
#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/fluffy-white-cupcakes.html

I've been using this for a white cake. I use coconut rum instead of extract though (don't worry there is only like a tsp and the alcohol cooks out anyway), and adding about 4 tsps of orange extract makes it a really nice orange cake. It takes a little longer in the oven as a cake than cupcakes. Maybe 5 minutes?

#9 of 9 Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM

I've made frosting with vegan cream cheese and had great luck. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page