Freezing Tofu? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In all my years of being veg*n I have never frozen tofu even though everyone always says it does wonderful things for the texture.  I'm going to be trying out a new recipe though that calls for frozen and thawed tofu and I don't want to mess it up.  Sooooo, tell me, do you freeze the tofu still sealed in the package, water and all, or do you take it out of the water first?  I'm confused!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#2 of 7 Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM

When I've done it - I take it out of the package and dump out its water, put in its own plastic bag or container and freeze like that.  Then defrost and use it (or whatever your recipe says).

#3 of 7 Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 AM

I only do that to the Mori-Nu vacuum packaged ones, I can hardly stand the texture in a regular stir fry, thought the soft tofu makes a killer pie.  So I have done that to other tofu too it just makes it more chewy and the cells in the tofu walls collapse a little bit and then freeze, the texture becomes more like tvp.

#4 of 7 Old 11-08-2011, 03:04 AM

You can do it either way, but it takes a bit longer to thaw out if you freeze it in water.  My method of thawing it out is to dump boiling water over it multiple times, but you can also just transfer it to the fridge and wait (a long time).

orvis likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM

You can crumble it first and then freeze it like in TVP size chunks or whatever.  You can freeze it in the liquid straight in the box, or container.  The box Mori's work well for that, then yes it is a pain to defrost those under running water, and would take a long time otheways.    You can pre cut cutlets and put in ziplock bag for ease of removel.  You can freeze the whole block whole and drained. 

#6 of 7 Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 AM

I drain it, press it, and then slice it into like 4 thin pieces.  I lay it out on a plate or baking sheet, then freeze it.  I'll take it out early on in the day before I'm going to use it.  it makes the texture so much better!  Try it!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 7 Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 AM

I drain, dry, and cube it...then I can use the cubes or crumble it...

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page