bok choy help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

bok choy is dh's fave green, but i prefer kale or collards. 

i have cooked it in a little oil with tons of garlic (my standard greens treatment), even added a chili to the oil.  it is just not very exciting to me.  especially the stems!  i think of bok choy as a very gentle soothing food, but need some interesting preparations to get me hooked.

ideas?  thanks

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#2 of 4 Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Hey Kangamitroo. I was also never a big fan of bok choy until I started preparing it in different ways.You could easily incorporate it into some Asian-inspired soups and stews near the end of cooking (similar to adding spinach). I like it in stir-fries, curry dishes and a simple dish with chickpeas and cashews. Here a few dishes to get you started:

Stir-Fry:

1. Marinate one cut-up block of tofu in 1-2 T tamari and 1.5 T red wine or rice vinegar. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes at 350.

2. Meanwhile, cut up some onion, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage and bok choy. Stir fry in following order. You may need to add a touch of water to pan to steam the harder veggies a bit. Add bok choy last and allow it to wilt for a few minutes.

3. While this is cooking, mix together 1/3 c tamari, 1/4 c water, 3.5 T agave, 1.5 T lemon juice, 1 T toasted sesame oil, 1 t blackstrap molasses, 5 garlic cloves, 2 t fresh gingerroot and 1 T arrowroot. Add this to stir-fry in the last few minutes of cooking. It should bubble up and thicken to a nice syrupy consistency.

4. Garnish all with cashews and green onions. This is nice with brown rice or spelt soba noodles. Enjoy!!!

My favorite bok choy recipe of all times - Bok Choy and Chickpeas with Cashews:

1. Saute 1 T gingerroot in 1 T oil for one minute. Add 1-2 T tamari, 1 T mirin (rice wine) and 1 cup cooked chickpeas.

2. Add 6 cups bok choy and saute another 2-3 minutes until greens are tender.

3. Garnish with toasted cashews. Oh, so yummy!!!

The key to eating bok choy for me is the addition of tamari. The saltiness of the tamari blends well with the bitterness of the bok choy. I hope this helps a bit. Surf the net for more wonderful recipes. Cheers!!!

#3 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your great suggestions!

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#4 of 4 Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM

My husband loves baby bok choy. I serve them whole if tiny enough or just sliced in half. Just make sure they are clean ones if. you serve them whole. I usually just stir fry and top with teriyaki sauce.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page