bok choy is dh's fave green, but i prefer kale or collards.
i have cooked it in a little oil with tons of garlic (my standard greens treatment), even added a chili to the oil. it is just not very exciting to me. especially the stems! i think of bok choy as a very gentle soothing food, but need some interesting preparations to get me hooked.
Hey Kangamitroo. I was also never a big fan of bok choy until I started preparing it in different ways.You could easily incorporate it into some Asian-inspired soups and stews near the end of cooking (similar to adding spinach). I like it in stir-fries, curry dishes and a simple dish with chickpeas and cashews. Here a few dishes to get you started:
1. Marinate one cut-up block of tofu in 1-2 T tamari and 1.5 T red wine or rice vinegar. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes at 350.
2. Meanwhile, cut up some onion, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage and bok choy. Stir fry in following order. You may need to add a touch of water to pan to steam the harder veggies a bit. Add bok choy last and allow it to wilt for a few minutes.
3. While this is cooking, mix together 1/3 c tamari, 1/4 c water, 3.5 T agave, 1.5 T lemon juice, 1 T toasted sesame oil, 1 t blackstrap molasses, 5 garlic cloves, 2 t fresh gingerroot and 1 T arrowroot. Add this to stir-fry in the last few minutes of cooking. It should bubble up and thicken to a nice syrupy consistency.
4. Garnish all with cashews and green onions. This is nice with brown rice or spelt soba noodles. Enjoy!!!
My favorite bok choy recipe of all times - Bok Choy and Chickpeas with Cashews:
1. Saute 1 T gingerroot in 1 T oil for one minute. Add 1-2 T tamari, 1 T mirin (rice wine) and 1 cup cooked chickpeas.
2. Add 6 cups bok choy and saute another 2-3 minutes until greens are tender.
3. Garnish with toasted cashews. Oh, so yummy!!!
The key to eating bok choy for me is the addition of tamari. The saltiness of the tamari blends well with the bitterness of the bok choy. I hope this helps a bit. Surf the net for more wonderful recipes. Cheers!!!
Dready Homeschooling Mom
|9 members and 8,266 guests|
|Damnora6 , girlspn , GotProbs , jaho.lore , jamesmorrow , katelove , lisak1234 , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|