Mothering Forum banner

Vegan food for kids party ideas?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DevaMajka 
#1 ·
Hi ladies,

I need some ideas!

My son's 7th birthday party is this weekend. What are some foods, preferably finger foods, that I can serve that are vegan? Obviously things like veggies, hummus, chips, salsa....but what else? It's during lunch time, so I want to have some food to feed the kiddos, not just cake.

I am so bad at coming up with food for parties, I need some help!

#2 ·
Whatever nut butter and jelly sandwiches cut into shapes, ants on a log, tofu chunks breaded in seasoned cornmeal and almond meal and baked, kebabs with veggies and grilled or fried tofu, chickpeas - roasted or plain or mashed into chickpea "tuna," samosa "quesadillas," blanched broccoli and peanut butter dip, mini spring rolls, mild samosas, mini crustless tofu quiches, lots of fruits and veggies and a couple of different dips.

#3 ·
This may be more work that you want, but I made black bean tamales from "Vegan Lunch Box" for a football game get together, and the kids were crazy about them. They're a great finger food that can double as a meal. And you can make them ahead and just reheat them for the party.

A fresh fruit bowl always goes over well, too. I think a lot of prepared pie crusts in the store are vegan, too, so you could buy those and make little pizza pockets (spagghetti sauce, vegan cheese and veggies) or vegan empanadas (vegan meat crumbles and vegan ground meat).

#4 ·
I'm having a party for DS in a few days too & I think we've finally decided on a menu... was tricky because I also need it to be soy-free & mostly gluten-free. I think we'll do:

Moosewood potato salad (has onions, white beans, & green beans)

Quinoa tabouleh

Rice with roasted red peppers, olives, spinach, & artichokes

Dates stuffed with a mixture of chopped nuts, orange zest, & maple syrup

Hummus platter

Loaf of bread with olive oil

Fruit

(and cake, of course... drinks will be water & tea)

I'm a little worried the palate will be too 'adult' for the kids (toddlers, though most of them are pretty adventurous eaters) but half the guests will be adults anyway & I am hoping the bread, potato salad, & fruit will appeal to pickier kids... Still on the fence though, I might adjust it some, or leave some plain rice out too or something.

OK I admit I am actually terrified of feeding other people & I'm so worried they aren't going to like anything.
uhoh3.gif

#5 ·
Sandwich Wraps

whole grain wraps with different combos

You can wrap up whatever you think of really.

-nut butters and sliced bananas

-roasted veggies and hummus

-veganaise, mustard and tofurkey

-lettuce,tomato and avocado

-sprouts, sunbutter, tempeh bacon

You can leave them wraped or slice into spirals.

#6 ·
Kids always go crazy for pinwheels at our parties, which are just wraps that are cut about 1" thick and laid out. I don't know what it is about that delivery method that kids like so much. We do goat cheese and roasted red pepper, but you could do a nut cheese to make it vegan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.