LOVE what's cooking in February. . .and March! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The thread for inspiration in the vegan and vegetarian kitchen!

Please post here with what you are up to in the kitchen: meal plans, recipes, ideas, what's working, what isn't, ingredients you are loving, etc.

Here's to a tasty February!

Baking a carrot cake as we speak. Yum.

Made a really good recipe from V'con last night--Seitanic Red bean Jumbalaya. 

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 PM

I made a green chili sauce that is wonderfully yummy today. I mixed some with black beans and corn for lunch. I plan to make a tofu scramble and put the rest of the black beans, corn and sauce over it. I have no odea what to serve with it though. I am so bad at sides lately.

I also made homemade Lara bar type things for desert. So yummy and simple!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM

i went to a croissant class at a local bakery yesterday, so i finished those up this am and we had them for brunch with mini kale and red pepper fritata.

this week

red lentil coconut soup

Mexican pizza with kale and red peppers

lentil spaghetti and salad

Asian noodle soup

bean and rice burrito

eggplant curry

black bean nachos and roasted mushrooms

maple pecan granola and heart shaped eggs in a hole for valentines

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 02-06-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Those meals look tasty! Mmmmm

I did a croissant class just last weekend!  It was fun, although I spent the following 3 days gorging on the croissants, which were heavenly, but it made me feel guilty. I usually tend to avoid so much white flour. Oh well, sometimes you gotta live a little. :)

I'm bad at sides too. I usually just try to find one dish meals so I don't have to even worry about it.  

Ack, no idea what to make for dinner tonight and no weeks meal plan yet either.  I have a head of cauliflower from our CSA and I never seem to know what to do with cauliflower.  Better go figure that out.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Well,  here is the plan for the week.  Let's see if I stick to it! 

-Shepard's pie (which Dh says I can't call Shepard's pie because it's vegan!)

-Veggie casserole- http://www.frugallynatural.org/2011/01/making-switch-kids-can-eat-healthy.html

-Baked beans with salad and gluten free garlic bread (if I can get the energy to make bread!)

-Vegan sloppy joe mixture over baked potatoes.

-stirfry (which we have once a week)

I need to get some baking done so the fam can have something other than cereal! 

Homeschooling Mama to DD dust.gif and one angel3.gif.  
TTC #2.  Hoping to adoptionheart-1.gif !

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Kismet- i don't remember if you are vegan or not, but i made a roasted cauliflowers soup last week that turned out really well.

roast cauliflower with oliveoil, onion and garlic until soft.  meanwhile boil one or two potatoes in veg broth until soft. add thyme and pepper and milk. process until smooth.  we added cheese, but i would probably just put it on the top next time.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Heya! I've not been on this site much except for some snooping since my little man was born in Sept09.  I think that you were in my DDC kismet though i didn't post much then either.  Anyway, I left my job a few months back to do the FT mom gig and have been working on getting everything more organized.  One new skill I am trying to develop is meal planning!  I read through a bit of January's page and now this one- it's gold for coming up with ideas!  My new strategy is to stick to one cookbook a week so it makes it easier to search out the recipes when the day comes and I end up trying more of them.  Hopefully in the long run I'll be able to copy over the ones I like and perhaps save some cupboard space by consolidating.

One recipe I've made a few times which is a hit (even with my DS who up to this time refused carrots) was the leek and bean casoulet from veganomicon.  Though I'd been using biscuits that I'd made in bulk awhile back and had frozen precooked.  I just put the frozen pucks onto the top of the finished stew thing and threw it in the oven and it turned out great.  I made a double batch this last time thinking I was going to drop one off with a family who just delivered but when I checked the website I realized I made it a week early.  So I'm thinking I might freeze the pre biscuited batch and see how it tastes post thaw...

Anyway thanks for all the great ideas!  I'll post my weekly meal plan when I come up with it...hopefully soon!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

megame-- Hi!  I remember you. . .yes, I was in the Sept 09 DDC, although DS decided to wait it out and be an Oct baby. :)  Hey congrats on the FT mom thing!  Fun isn't it?  (Okay, I admit it's sometimes lonely and boring, but mostly really great.)  Anyhow, nice to "see" you around here.  I've made the leek and bean casoulet once and enjoyed it, using frozen biscuits would make it soooo much easier. I wonder if WF has some healthy, vegan biscuits in their frozen section?  

jldumm-- thanks for the idea. I was just looking at a similar roasted cauliflower soup recipe yesterday!  Although it's actually been so warm here in NorCal (I know, I know, you can hate me now), that I haven't wanted to make soup. But I may just have to b/c I am so low on ideas for that dang veg!   And I guess you could call me a vegan light.  Or an aspiring vegan.  I've been vegetarian for a decade now and dabbled in veganism, and in my heart I'm vegan, but I find that a little ice cream and an egg brunch always manage to creep in. (Shame on me!)  But I do cook mostly vegan.  

Last night I wound up with a yummy meal, just by trying to use up some stuff that was sitting around. . .love it when that happens. I simmered some random veggies in some leftover mole sauce and we ate it with some leftover rice.  

Okay, I've got a half-baked (pun, ha ha) meal plan for this week:

Tonight is leftovers for me, as DH will eat at work.

Roasted cauliflower soup (with ?)

Kale and tofu salad

Pasta with "sausage" and brocolli

. . .and Friday night I haven't decided yet. I usually try to make my nicest meal of the week on Friday for our (non-religious) sabbath meal.

I'll likely do kale chips at some point this week, b/c I love them so.  And hopefully have time for a batch of vegan cookies.  I made a good low-sugar, low-fat carrot cake this weekend.  

Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Rotini with Potatoes, Green Beans and Lemon Basil Creme (from Vegan on the Cheap), Tuscan chard (with raisins and pinenuts)

Enchilada Stacks (from the Native Foods Cookbook, our local vegan restaurant), Spanish brown rice

Black bean-veggie stirfry over quinoa

Home made veggie burgers on Ezekiel 4:9 buns, red coleslaw

Comfort Loaf (from Vegan on the Cheap), mashed sweet potatoes, arugula salad

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

This week:

-mushroom curry

-tofu satay with quinoa and kale chips

-chili with rice

-kale, sweet potato and black bean burritos

-and either a chickpea, rice, sweet potato and spinach stew or chickpea pie

...and from the looks of this thread, some yummy stuff to come!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mmmmm, I always love to read other peoples menus!  Vegan on the Cheap, I'll have to check that one out.  I also love to collect cookbooks. :)

Just got our CSA box today and I always have a mini-panic attack. LOL.  Suddenly, I have to figure out what to do with two bunches of chard, 1 bunch of kale, cauliflower (again!), beets and lettuce before they go bad. . .not to mention the broccoli and arugula I already have in the fridge!  Anyone have any good recipes with greens that freeze well?  

Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
Suddenly, I have to figure out what to do with two bunches of chard, 1 bunch of kale, cauliflower (again!), beets and lettuce before they go bad. . .not to mention the broccoli and arugula I already have in the fridge!  Anyone have any good recipes with greens that freeze well?  

Here's what I'd do: Wash and chop up the lettuce, peel, steam and slice the beet roots, and eat the slices chilled on salads for lunch. The kale I'd use in my crockpot white bean soup. Arugula I love to throw into macaroni and cheesy sauce. Just toss it raw on hot pasta and stir it in to wilt while I make up a sauce. Broccoli? Either a stirfry or this:http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10476?utm_source=DFVegan&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=DFVegan. My favorite thing to do with chard is just steam it or saute and eat it with lemon-tahini sauce. Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Oh, and cauliflower? Swap it for the pumpkin in this: http://catnip13.blogspot.com/2010/11/pumpkin-curry.html

And here's that soup recipe: http://catnip13.blogspot.com/2010/11/six-ingredient-white-bean-crock-pot.html

Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Woa Catnip, that was a whole stream of amazing sounding food.  I was going to suggest blanching and freezing it in portion sizes so you could just throw it into whatever you're cooking at a later time.  I've also made green cubes for DS where I cooked in a whole batch of greens or about that quantity of various types of greens, an apple or pear, some prunes, and maybe a few other things like carrots or beets or mango or blueberries if I have then sitting around.  Then use the emulsion blender and put it in the ice cube tray.  It makes about one tray of food it seems. Though I've not done it in awhile, he really enjoyed it.

I'm going to try to make the cauliflower soup mentioned earlier this week.  Side of flatbread and salad

I've soaked a bunch of garbanzos so will end up cookign those up and throwing them into various meals this week.  Probably a pasta, try my hand at some hummus (though it always seems bland when I make it), maybe chana masala

We've not done dinner at home the last two nights, so I'm already straining to get back in the mindset.  How quickly I lose it!

I've been getting really excited about the idea of gardening this summer.  I hope it turns out as I decided not to get a CSA this year.  Last summer our garden sucked due to weather and I was lacking the motivation, but now that Olis a little older, I'm really excited.  Plus we just got our community garden plot which is going to be very close to our new place.  I just went down there and checked it out yesterday.  It has beautiful dark soil and Oli was happy as a clam falling into holes and fiddling around with things.  It's fenced off as well, so I don't have to worry about him getting too far away. I am so excited about sharing this experience with him.  I've been doing some research on what to plant and it looks like I can try to plant a few of the hardier ones now (basically kale) which I get pretty bored with by the end of summer but I've not yet tried kale chips of the kale 'sausage' soup. Historically, when I look up kale recipes they're rather blah or it can be used as a replacement for other greens but i usually prefer the original green.  Also, I keep telling myself I'm going to start doing some green smoothies.

My next two kitchen purchases are going to be a slow cooker and a bundt pan.  I swore I had one, but can not find it anywhere.  I'm trying to get out all the old ingredients- the motivation here is so that I don't have to move it, which includes quite a bit of cocount so the recipe mentioned earlier for the bundt cake will work really well for this.  And, I'd love to get that veg slow cooker book and be able to get meals going during DS nap instead of while he's grabbing my leg and wanting to be picked up while I'm trying to get things done in the kitchen which tends to happen in the afternoon. 

Happy meals to all!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM

Kismet can you find out ahead of time what is in the csa box? I can look on Thurs for what i will get next Tues... then i can begin planning with what is in the cabinet or go to the store.  There also used to be a site that you could plug in an ingredient and a whole foods recipe would pop out. I will look around for it.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com/plans

Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions ladies!  I really appreciate it! :)

I didn't know you could blanch and freeze greens, I've done this with green beans, and squash, and tomatoes. I'll have to try it with greens. . .and the baby greens in ice cube trays is a great idea!  DS is a picky eater, but I wonder if I could get him to enjoy some greens this way.  

I can check on what's gonna be in our CSA box, I'm usually just too lazy/busy/forgetful to do so. I should get in the habit of it though.  No matter what, it just always seems like a lot when we get the box, but then I manage to use it.  DH will be out of town next week, so I won't get the box and just eat up what's hanging around. It always helps to do this every few months anyway and clear out the pantry a bit.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM

MMMM! Again so many awesome suggestions.  Last night I made a spontaneous soup from roasted red peppers, butternut squash, carrots, parsnips and garlic (all roasted).  So good!  That's for lunch today.  I'm thinking homemade pizza for supper tonight. And for the rest of the week I'm drawing a blank.  Oh for V-day I'm planning on making a few things from Tal Ronnin's The Conscious Cook. 

I'm thinking:

- Twice Baked Fingerling Potatoes w/Crisped Dulse

-  Ceasar Salad

- Pine Nut & Basil Seared Cicken w/Lobster Mushroom Beurre Blance & Braised Kale

- Chocolate Chip Peanet Butter Squares with berry Sorbet

Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

inksandtofu--Wow, fancy Vday menu!  I checked that book out from the library, but concluded that although the recipes looked so delicious and amazing, that I do not have the time for that kind of cooking.  Maybe once I don't have toddlers anymore, but at this point I need quick and easy meals.

Last night I made a delicious (and simple) cream of broccoli soup (vegan) and wonder of all wonders DS actually ate it!  Normally I can't get him anywhere near broccoli.

Tonight I am making a butternut squash which I will stuff with a quinoa pilaf, with sauteed chard on the side and some cashew-tahini sauce for all of it.

And I'm about to bake the chocolate chocolate-chip cookies from Vcon--they're to die for!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM

tonight was easy and a pop in the oven night it was vegan chicken strips and chipotle sweet potato fries. It was my fattening night I get one night a week till I just get tired of it (I eat the same thing on my fat night if I get bored I will give up those nights finally). I  believe for tomorrow I will be making bbq ribs and corn. Sunday I am making some chili for our carry in dinner we are having at church then Vday will be simple since hubby works (we have our date night Tuesday) it will be the veggie wraps I love so much or pita pizzas with Daiya cheese and vegan sausage from smart dogs. For our date night we are going to a vegan restaurant after we go to a basket ball game (his Vday present) . Wednesday will be stuffed acorn squash with corn on the cob and maybe some pumkin stuff if i get to the grocery store otherwise it will be something simple again. Thatis all I have now since I dont know when I will get to go grocery shopping.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Last week in my veggie box I got a huge bok choy.  I've been putting off using it and finally decided to juice some of it w some carrot juice.  Then for dinner I made the Asian baked Tofu in V'con w bok choy sauteed in garlic and some Jasmine rice.  Last night I was lazy and made Quorn nuggets with mashed carrot,potato and onion.   Some other meals I made this week:  Snobby Joe's from Vcon and had Shirataki noodles w veggies and tofu out for dinner.  My 4 yr old has been on a hummus kick and so I have been making a batch every day.  I love cauliflower and make this very simple soup whenever I get one. It so good.   Next week I'm getting a celery root and am looking forward to that soup too.

http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/2008/09/tale-of-two-cauliflower-soups.html 

And for the rest of the weekend I'll be juicing the rest of my bok choy. 

Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM

I am looking forward to eating this week, but i don't know why since  i have only a half baked plan and not idea what to do for valentines. Dh and i had our once every two or three months date last night for "valentines" ostensibly...

Mediterranean rice salad

mushroom straganoff

C'kin pie with biscuit topping (maybe is should make and extra batch of biscuits to put in the freezer) maybe i will make that fro valentines since i usually do a heart shaped biscuit on top.... and everyone likes it.

Pizza

i need some more inspiration... I am such a picky eater that i did not fully enjoy my dinner date out last night.  i need to be more zen and just enjoy the experience, so says DH anyway.... and he is usually right.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM

I managed to pull off a decent Valentine's dinner.  We've been in such a rut lately.  I'm making west indian red beans over coconut rice and some sauteed kale on the side.  I made a very simple dessert of yogurt and mixed berry parfaits.  

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post

I managed to pull off a decent Valentine's dinner.  We've been in such a rut lately.  I'm making west indian red beans over coconut rice and some sauteed kale on the side.  I made a very simple dessert of yogurt and mixed berry parfaits.  

may i ask how you season the beans?  we are crazy about coconut rice here.

seem to be roasting lots o' veggies lately.  sweet potatoes, turnips. and cauliflower with lemon tahini sauce.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Last night was our romantic dinner for two: I made a spinach salad with cranberries and pine nuts and a balsamic vinagrette, a baked eggplant rollatini stuffred with cashew ricotta, pine nuts and breadcrumbs and smothered in scratch-made marinara, and homemade chocolate chocolate chip coconut milk ice cream with brownie chunks. Oh, and wine. Lots of wine. :)

Tonight I made cauliflower red lentil curry with quinoa.

Tomorrow is white bean and kale soup with rosemary bread

Later in the week, I'm making tempeh mole tacos, teriyaki stirfry, and split pea soup.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

may i ask how you season the beans?  we are crazy about coconut rice here.

seem to be roasting lots o' veggies lately.  sweet potatoes, turnips. and cauliflower with lemon tahini sauce.

It's a very simple recipe.  The beans are seasoned with red chili flakes, thyme and allspice.  

We are going away for 4 days so I'm trying to not buy any new groceries and eat up what we have lying around.  I think I have 1/2 jar of pesto and some broccoli for some pasta for tonights dinner.

Catnip - woah.....I soooooo want to make that ice cream eat.gif.  Is it hard? 

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Last night I made beanballsfrom  v'con and used them to make subs.  They would have been better if the bread hadn't been so hard.  A bit of a bummer, we'd only bought it the day before.  I also made a side pasta dish that i threw leftover chickpeas, corn, nut yeast and some other things in and a salad. There was too much food and the salad was left over.  I wonder if I tried to make salads more interesting if this would be less likely.  Tomatoes are all coming from Mexico right now, and that and avocado is what normally comes in my head for salad topping.  I need to become more of a salad expert I think where I can think outside the box (or what's in the cupboard and how to make it work).I also made trader joes pudding mix with hemp millk and the gluten free choc cake mix from bobs red mill, both for the first time, and they were both awesome!  I don't normally sub flax seed for eggs (i tend to use egg replacer) but it recommended that sub on the bag and it worked so well. I made them into cupcakes and they were so moist that it was a perfect match to put them in a pool of pudding instead of frosting them.  I'm not a huge frosting fan.  DH and I both loved it. 

Gotta end now.  Little man is freaking about a toy not fitting in another toy.  So weird.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

catnip--you always make me drool! 

megame--oooo, I want to try everything you mentioned!  I have gotten really into salads over the past couple years and have become more and more creative. I used to think salad was lettuce, tomato and cucumber and that's it.  Little did I know! :)  My DH and I instituted salad nights (one night a week we eat salad for dinner, just salad), which really forced me to get creative.

Well, DS's eczema has flared up :(  so I guess this is the inspiration I need to go vegan once and for all.  It seems like he is reacting to dairy, although I suppose it could be a number of things.   So I tried making "cream" out of cashews for the first time and it was good. I made a batch and made half of it into a savory sauce for dipping veggies and the other half I sweetened maple syrup and poured it over berries.

No set meal plan this week as DH is out of town, so I'll just be winging it. I am soaking a big pot of beans right now, for those times when DS doesn't want to let me cook.  Its hard to cook without DHs help in the evenings.  I think I'll add some kale to the beans for a soup.  

Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM

The ice cream part is incredibly easy - 1 can coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups soymilk, 6 oz chocolate chips, 2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup sugar, heat enough to melt the chocolate, chill 3 hours then freeze in an ice cream freezer.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to whoever suggested the roasted cauliflower soup. I just made it and it is delicious!!!!  And I am not a big fan of cauliflower.  Having a big bowl of it with avocado on toast right now. mmmmmmmm

User Tag List