Refined flour or whole wheat flour in cakes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All recipes call for all-purpose flour. Is it not possible to bake with whole wheat bread flour or pastry flour?

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Whole wheat bread flour will impart a definite difference in flavor and texture, but it can be done. Expect it to be much denser and nuttier tasting, a little more bitter.

Whole wheat PASTRY flour can be swapped in for up to half of your white flour in any recipe imperceptibly, and I regularly use all WWPF, though the results are a little denser and you get a wheaty flavor, but I like that.

#3 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Catnip. I see these 2 kinds of whole wheat flour. I don't know what the difference is!

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#4 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 AM

I like to use unbleached white whole wheat flour (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-white-whole-wheat-flour-5-lb) - it is much lighter than regular whole wheat. It is closer in texture to all-purpose, which means you can do a 1-for-1 substitute with little effect on taste texture. I think that TJ's also has a similar variety.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM

Pastry flour is lower in gluten and more finely ground than regular bread flour.

User Tag List