I'm on a chickpea kick. Any good recipes out there? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Boil Chickpeas with salt, remove the water ..... For seasoning: take a pan, add one spoon of oil, add mustard, when sputters, add few curry leaves and 2 dried red chillies,  add one table spoon of grated coconut, fry for one minute. Now add the Chickpeas  and mix well for one minute...switch off the flame.

Sit on the lobby or in balcony, eat this delicious chickpea one by one and watch the street, people walking , watch the nature , sky, moon .....

Nice time pass with tea in Nice evening...

eNJoy!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 AM

I boil chickpeas with salt, garlic and a piece of onion. When they're done and have cooled a bit, I remove the onion and garlic, drain the liquid, and add chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, a bit of lemon juice and a pinch of salt, yum!!!  I also like to make vegetarian falafel, mmmmm! Here chickpeas are usually devoured right after they're boiled, so I rarely have a chance to make a more complex dish, lol.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askew View Post

Yes, I ground the oats into a powder and added as much of it as called for in wheat gluten. You can play with the mixture a bit and add more if they are not holding together. After you fry them they taste similar to the original recipe, but the texture is that of a crumbly veggie burger and not the chewy meaty texture. I really love them this way, and I was not a fan of the wheat gluten variety. I also highly recommend the mustard sauce on top of them from Veganomicon. 

What a great suggestion! I wanted to try the cutlets too but we are not big fans of the wheat gluten. I'll make them today! Thanks!

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Check out Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone for the recipes for chickpeas and chard with Moroccan spices and chickpea and spinach stew with garlic mayonnaise. So yummy! I recently got "The Indian Slow Cooker"which has a bunch of chickpea recipes (including black chickpeas, which are new to me) that I'm eager to try.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM

I like to make a version of the "mock tuna" that other posters have talked about. I just mix 1 can of chickpeas, a squirt or two of mustard, a big spoonful or two of vegenaise and some garlic salt or other seasoning I like and maybe a dash or two of my favorite hot sauce and some nutritional yeast. Mash and put on bread.

Raw chickpea salad

Soak chickpeas overnight. Rinse and toss with diced ginger, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. You only need small portions and can refrigerate the leftovers.  It's a nice garnish or side dish and good for digestion and protein.

I love kurma's recipes http://www.iskcon.net.au/kurma/2006/04/03 chole

http://www.iskcon.net.au/kurma/2006/03/18 hummus - this recipe is very smooth and the taste is so worth the effort. Kurma doens't cook with garlic or onions so ignore his asafoetida thing and use 2-3 cloves of garlic instead. Just blend it in with everything else. Garnish with a few whole chickpeas and drizzle olive oil over the top and then sprinkle some paprika for color.

Chickpea flour is also lovely to cook with. It makes a good coating for vegetables and it can also be rolled into rotis. 

Eggplant, Tomato, & Chickpea Stew

1/4 cup ghee or oil (NOT extra virgin olive oil! coconut oil is delicious)
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (aka "hing"--available in Indian grocery stores)
1 medium eggplant, washed and cut into half-inch cubes
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 10 oz. package frozen spinach (optional)
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained of liquid
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Heat ghee or oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan or wok over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Fry seeds until they darken a couple of shades. (you could also use an equal amount of cumin powder, which would only need to be fried for a few seconds).

Add the hing, stir, then immediately add the eggplant. Stir-fry the eggplant until it softens a little, about 10 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, optional spinach, turmeric and salt. Cover (leaving a little gap for steam to escape) and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until eggplant is very soft but not disintegrated, stirring occasionally.

Add cook chickpeas and cook for another five minutes. You can add a little bit of water if it seems too dry.

Stir in sugar and lemon juice, shout "Hare Krishna!" and serve hot with basmati rice to your impressed friends.

This recipe makes enough for like 6-8 people when combined with rice and dahl and chapatis so you could cut it in half. If you don't have asafoetida, you can add garlic powder instead or just skip it. 

Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I just found this recipe for chickpea crepes, it is using chickpea flour- so not actual chickpeas, but still super crazy yummy!!!

http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/2011/04/socca-chickpea-crepes.html

Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM

I have been on a chickpea kick too lately so this thread was quite timely for me as well, thanks all :)

I made lunch for myself and a girlfriend yesterday and it was as follows:

1 can chickpeas, drained

1 lemon, juiced

generous dash olive oil in a pan with 1 garlic clove crushed in it, heated until fragrant

fennel seed to taste

red pepper flakes to taste

sea salt to taste

handful parmigiana cheese, coarse grated

handful chopped parsley

fresh truffle ravioli that I bought from the refrigerated section of WF

I served this as a warm salad on a bed of arugula and it was hella good.

Today I am taking anothers suggestion of chickpea/carrot/rosemary soup and tomorrow planning to use some more fresh pasta(angelhair) to make a chickpea pasta with red chili flakes and garlic and parsley and parmigiana

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

notes.gif

Old 09-04-2011, 02:18 PM

Where's the drooling smiley!? LOL

I've always loved chickpeas roasted as a snack, as patties, hummus or simply in green salads, but these recipes here are wonderful!!! I'm planning on buying lots of dry chickpeas and make many of those recipes!eat.gif

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.

User Tag List