I'm on a chickpea kick. Any good recipes out there? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Vegetarian and Vegan > I'm on a chickpea kick. Any good recipes out there?
sparklett's Avatar sparklett 12:28 AM 02-22-2011

I've been really digging chickpeas lately and would love to new recipes.  Right now my favorite thing is various chickpea salads on toasted homemade bread.

Any good chickpea recipes out there? 

Otto's Avatar Otto 01:52 AM 02-22-2011

There's a mountain of chickpea curry recipes. I was looking for Yamuna Devi's chole, which is my default. It's reproduced here, along with three others on the first page, if you want to scroll though.

la mamita's Avatar la mamita 02:44 PM 02-22-2011
Hummus is good.

I have this recipe for an eggplant, chickpea & tomato casserole I've liked.

Also, Moosewood's Gypsy soup is awesome. Very wintery.

You can also roast chickpeas for a snack.
askew's Avatar askew 05:25 PM 02-22-2011
BeanyMama's Avatar BeanyMama 05:49 PM 02-22-2011

The chickpea ratatouille from Viva le Vegan is a staple here. So yum!

red and lulu's Avatar red and lulu 06:00 PM 02-22-2011

I mix chickpeas, chopped shallots, minced garlic, fennel seeds, and olive oil and roast at 400' covered for an hour, then uncovered for 15 minutes (until browned). When you take it out of the oven toss in some baby spinach to wilt. It's utterly divine in my book eat.gif

Malva's Avatar Malva 06:17 PM 02-22-2011
Shaki's Avatar Shaki 07:04 PM 02-22-2011

chic peas, with fresh lemon juice, garlic, parsley (or mint or both), grape tomatoes, and olive oil!

askew's Avatar askew 03:07 PM 02-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by red and lulu View Post

I mix chickpeas, chopped shallots, minced garlic, fennel seeds, and olive oil and roast at 400' covered for an hour, then uncovered for 15 minutes (until browned). When you take it out of the oven toss in some baby spinach to wilt. It's utterly divine in my book eat.gif

Are they cooked already? Like canned or cooked chickpeas? Or raw. This sounds yummy! 

Pen_esque 03:26 PM 02-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by red and lulu View Post

I do a similar thing, loads of garlic, any spices you like (I like cumin, lemon pepper and chili), and olive oil. Mix it all up with (cooked) chick peas and spread out on a tray. No double decking! Hot oven, no cover, about 15 min. My toddler loves them like this, too.

HollyBearsMom's Avatar HollyBearsMom 03:31 PM 02-23-2011

I toss them then with olive oil, cumin and sea salt and then roast until crunchy.  Totally addictive snack,

I add them too couscous along with red currants.  Great side dish.

katroshka's Avatar katroshka 06:08 PM 02-25-2011

Yum, so glad I clicked on this thread since I see so many yummy recipes here!

My favorite easy recipe is to toss with olive oil, braggs liquid aminos, garlic, and broccoli (broccolini is best, I think, but regular broccoli is good too) in a shallow baking pan, bake at 400 until they get crispy. The broccoli gets pretty dark, but it's not burnt, it will be crispy and awesome. My friend makes this with soy sauce and coconut oil and it's awesome, too...

ETA: Veganomicon has this awesome chickpea cutlet recipe:

http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/04/chickpea-cutlets-with-mustard-sauce.html

If you like mustard then I HIGHLY recommend the mustard sauce on top, my whole family went crazy over it.

Also, the second time I made this recipe I just threw all the cutlet ingredients into my food processor all at once, and it came out just as well as when I made it according to the instructions.

I will say that this is not the most chickpea-y recipe out there, but it's so good that I had to pass it on.

kalisis's Avatar kalisis 06:27 PM 02-26-2011

I mush them up and add some mayo (vegan if you want) and either pickle relish or dill and some finely chopped onion and celery.  Reminds me of tuna my mom used to make.

Also, I riff on a Jamaican curry - It's imperative that you have everything ready before you start tho, because the curry will burn very easily.  Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of your saucepan and then add in enough curry powder to make a slurry.  Whisk it around a few seconds and then add in some sliced onions and red peppers and a small bunch of fresh thyme.  Add enough broth to cover the chickpeas that you've added (I like using one of the big cans, the beans are softer) and then bring it to a simmer and let it cook for awhile until it thickens (sometimes with chickpeas I have to thicken with a flour/water mix).  I also make a variation that has potatoes (added with the chickpeas) and peas (added at the VERY end).  Spooned over rice or dumplings, this is delicious.  Just watch out for thyme stems - I pick through the kids' before I serve to them so they don't choke on them.

Medic2Midwife's Avatar Medic2Midwife 06:37 PM 02-28-2011

My favorite is BBQ Tofu and Garbonzo Beans 1 lb tofu, previously frozen, thawed and drained. 2 cans garbanzo beans 1 can diced tomatoes 1/2 bottle of bbq sauce (I use sweet baby rays) half onion chopped 3 cloves of garlic minced saute the garlic and onion in the bbq sauce. add the tomatoes, cook for a few minutes. add the beans and tofu. stir and cook until tofu is done, about 10 minutes on medium heat. This recipe can be frozen, it can be slow cooked, it can be reheated as chili or stuffed into baked potatoes the next day. My kids devour this every single time.

puddle's Avatar puddle 07:28 PM 02-28-2011
If you eat eggs and dairy, falafel
should be pretty easy to veganize if you don't.
AnaB's Avatar AnaB 01:06 PM 03-01-2011

I just recently experimented with an easy salad that I had to make in a pinch. I had canned seaweed and chickpeas (non-BPA cans) and vacuum sealed steamed beets from Trader Joe's. I just mixed the chick peas with seaweed and chopped up the beets, dressed with olive oil and a little salt/seasoning. I didn't have time, but I imagine fresh herbs with some green onions would top that off nicely! Very yummy and it was out of the ordinary for us!

rlee*'s Avatar rlee* 01:16 PM 03-01-2011
not only are chick peas a great snack/meal they are a lactogenic food as well--meaning they are good for promoting/maintaining lactation!! bonus if you BF!!!namaste.gif:meditate:lactivist:novaxnocirc:bfs
serenaanderson's Avatar serenaanderson 07:57 PM 03-01-2011

We throw them in the Vita-mix with Veganaise and kelp granules for a great mock tuna spread.

zebaby's Avatar zebaby 07:19 AM 03-02-2011

notes.gif

Jentle72's Avatar Jentle72 02:08 AM 03-04-2011

Just made this marinated chickpea recipe tonight for a picnic tomorrow. It is absolutely AMAZING! Hope I don't eat it all before tomorrow! :-) The comments say it's even better the next day due to the marinade soaking into all the yummy ingredients! Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/marinated-chickpea-salad-35209

Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 05:58 PM 03-06-2011

chana masala!

askew's Avatar askew 10:29 AM 03-10-2011

I baked the chickpeas until a bit crunchy, my kids loved it! Even the picky eater. What a great idea! 

veganfox's Avatar veganfox 10:23 PM 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post

The chickpea ratatouille from Viva le Vegan is a staple here. So yum!

yeahthat.gif That was the recipe I was coming here to suggest~ it's fantastic!

kismetbaby's Avatar kismetbaby 03:46 PM 04-04-2011

This is a chickpea salad (sort of a mock tuna salad) recipe that I love: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10/two-chickpea-salads.html

Viriditas's Avatar Viriditas 04:09 PM 04-04-2011

Ooh!  Before DS went GF and we banned gluten from our house, DH's and my absolute favorite was Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon.  These are patties made from partially-mashed chickpeas and vital wheat gluten.  They are chewy, savory chickpea heaven.  Especially on toast with whole grain mustard, avocado and tomato slices.  I miss them. :(

Let me know if you're interested/don't have the book and I'll post the recipe.

askew's Avatar askew 04:21 PM 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post

Ooh!  Before DS went GF and we banned gluten from our house, DH's and my absolute favorite was Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon.  These are patties made from partially-mashed chickpeas and vital wheat gluten.  They are chewy, savory chickpea heaven.  Especially on toast with whole grain mustard, avocado and tomato slices.  I miss them. :(

Let me know if you're interested/don't have the book and I'll post the recipe.

I make these all the time without the gluten. I use gluten free oats. They work great. Not as chewy, but really the chewy texture gluten gave them freaked me out a bit. I like them MUCH better without the vital gluten. 

clovergirl's Avatar clovergirl 10:37 PM 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by askew View Post

I make these all the time without the gluten. I use gluten free oats. They work great. Not as chewy, but really the chewy texture gluten gave them freaked me out a bit. I like them MUCH better without the vital gluten. 

Care to share how you sub the GF oats for the gluten?  Do you grind the oats first?  I have always wanted to make the chickpea cutlets but my DH has a gluten intolerance, so they've been a no-go.

clovergirl's Avatar clovergirl 10:41 PM 04-04-2011

Vegan chana saag aloo is one of my favorite chickpea dishes.  I've been making this for years.

http://veganmania.com/recipes/index.php/main-dishes/vegetables/chana-saag-aloo/

askew's Avatar askew 10:48 AM 04-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl View Post

Care to share how you sub the GF oats for the gluten?  Do you grind the oats first?  I have always wanted to make the chickpea cutlets but my DH has a gluten intolerance, so they've been a no-go.

Yes, I ground the oats into a powder and added as much of it as called for in wheat gluten. You can play with the mixture a bit and add more if they are not holding together. After you fry them they taste similar to the original recipe, but the texture is that of a crumbly veggie burger and not the chewy meaty texture. I really love them this way, and I was not a fan of the wheat gluten variety. I also highly recommend the mustard sauce on top of them from Veganomicon. 

Born To's Avatar Born To 11:23 AM 04-05-2011

Fry one onion, 2 cloves of garlic, tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary and one stick of celery in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 5 minutes til soft but not browned. Add 220g  can chickpeas and enough chicken or veg stock to cover over the chickpeas by about an inch. simmer for half an hour on a low heat then blitz with a blender until around half the chickpeas are smooth but a few are left whole. Add about 60g of soup pasta (stellini works well) and return to a very low heat til the pasts is soft - keep stirring grequently so it doesn't stick. My daughter absolutely loves this recipe and so do I although it's fairly open to interpretation as it seems to turn out different every time but super yummy all the time! Also, today we had carrot, chickpea and rosemary soup - also yummy! I hope you like it! :-)

Ellie

www.born-to.co.uk

1 2 

Up