getting omega-3 in the 3rd trimester -- flax and beyond - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping to get some suggestions on good (veg) foods to increase my omega-3 intake during this 3rd tri of my pregnancy. This morning I lightly ground up a couple TBSPs of flax seeds and mixed it into my oatmeal (after cooking the oats). I have read that some people worry about flax causing uterine cntx in pregnancy (although I wonder if this fear is overblown). So I'm looking for ideas besides just flax -- I figure getting DHA/omega-3 from multiple sources certainly can't hurt! Even if someone could point me to some good internet resources (i.e., info with citations) that would be super helpful! I am a fan of the vegetarian resource group, but I haven't found a ton of info there on omega-3's.

Also, should I stop it already with the sunflower seed oil? I often use a bit of sunflower or canola for cooking in a pan, and I was reading over the veg resource group's page that this may mess with the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3. 

I should mention that I do not have a source for algae at this time (living in Germany). 

Thanks bunches and bunches!!

xo

hi!

#2 of 7 Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but I order my vitamins from the company below and they ship to Germany. 

http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Vegan-Omega-3-DHA-Derived-from-Algae-90-Vcaps/13773?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/info/shipping/International

#3 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, I'll check out the link.  Maybe I'll post this in the preg forum for more ideas. 

hi!

#4 of 7 Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM

not sure if you've already gotten more ideas, but chia and hemp are both good sources of EFAs. can be sprinkled on cereals, in yogurt, smoothies, etc. a little more tasty than flax!

#5 of 7 Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 AM

I take the deva supps and also second using chia and hempseeds. I don't know the reason why, but I have seen multiple times to avoid flax oil while pregnant. I think something about phytoestrogens. 

Last time I was pregnant I made a lot of shakes using hemp seeds - typically I used water or some sort of milk, raw cacao powder, a banana, a tbsp or 2 of hemp seeds, some dates if I wanted it sweeter and sometimes a few handfuls of spinach (depending on what my stomach felt like). There are also some great chia seed recipes online if you look. Chia pudding tastes like tapioca pudding. I should start making this now that I'm pregnant again. 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Snack on Avocados! They are so good just sliced up and with a tortilla chip:)

Bekah. simple mama to Oceana Mercy 3.9.2009 and Luna Celeste 8.18.2011 lover of Marc 9.5.2008
My blog: my little loves.

#7 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Nuts, nuts and more nuts :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page