Ideas for collard greens? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been getting collard greens on our CSA box every week.  And I just can never seem to find good ways to use it.  I didn't grow up eating it and I'm just at a loss.  I've tried using it where I would use kale, but it's not the same.  So I was wondering if anyone had any recipes that they loved using collard greens.  

Thanks!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 AM

The last time I had them in my box I made vegetable pakora out of it. I LOVED it, but you might not be into deep fried. ;) 

http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/2011/01/vegetable-pakora.html

These wraps are super yummy too, we make them with a variety of things, not always raw. 

http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/01/collard-wraps-with-raw-sunflower-pate.html

#3 of 6 Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM

I have to say, the only times I've really gotten down with collards have been at Ethiopian restaurants. If you do dairy, ayib be gomen is my favorite (one recipe here, although I think shallots are more likely than yellow onion). If not, there are a lot of gomen wot/ye'abesha gomen recipes floating around (e.g., here, one with an iffy-sounding quick injera here).

#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.  I actually used one bunch tonight in this recipe and loved it! Here it is http://bistrokatie.com/2011/02/nutty-stir-fry-with-collards-and-tofu/  in case anyone else is in the same pickle as me with collards.  I wouldn't have thought to use them in an asian-style dish, but it was good.

I have yet another bunch in the fridge, so I'll have to try out one of the above suggestions!  I try to eat cooked greens once a day and finding new ways to do that can get challenging.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM

The only things I have really done with them is kind of southern style: chop, boil several minutes and drain, saute in a bit of coconut oil and add some brown sugar and hot pepper vinegar (or just vinegar and hot pepper sauce). I also add them to green smoothies, though their flavor is much stronger than spinach or kale so I use less collards and more fruit. I also saw the idea to make dolmades with parboiled collard green leaves instead of grape leaves, or replace it for the cabbage in stuffed cabbage rolls. My main thing with it is it needs a good several minutes of boiling before it's good, the modern advice to saute until lightly wilted doesn't work for collards.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#6 of 6 Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM

LOVE collard greens.  DH makes them when he makes fried chicken (fried tofu or Quorn for me) and mac and cheese for dinner.  He puts them in a stock pot with some apple cider vinegar and water and lets them simmer away for about 30 mins till tender.  They are delicious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page