protein in pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i mostly eat vegan but will eat dairy if we are out or get a pizza, etc- not a rule for me, i just tend to feel better without it.  Anyways, im 16 weeks pregnant and feeling pretty good - I dont give a lot of thought to protein, just follow my instincts- what has your take been while pregnant on protein?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM

I definitely upped my protein and certainly my awareness. . .it's easy for me at least to just munch on fruits and veggies and breads all day.  I found that I would get shaky btw meals if I didn't get enough protein.

So I taped a list from my MW of protein rich foods on a kitchen cabinet and tried to incorporate one at each meal.  (beans, tofu, etc)  I also started eating a lot more quinoa than I ever had and found I liked it and it was easy to incorporate to meals.  

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

I had a 100% vegan pregnancy and it wasn't that hard to get lots of protein. As pp said, I just made sure I ate a variety of legumes, soy products & grains like quinoa. I think I ended up taking between 60-80 grams of protein a day, if I remember correctly. If you want some help figuring out how much protein you are really consuming, I suggest www.nutritiondata.com where you can add all the foods you eat or search for foods high in protein. It really helped me while pregnant. Have a wonderful pregnancy!

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 PM

I have been vegan for 10 years and was vegan for my whole pregnancy. I definitely upped my protein, calcium and iron and felt great. For protein I ate a lot of peanut butter, nuts, hummous, tofu, seitan, beans. For calcium I continued to eat leafy greens and did eat a bit more soy yogurt than previously. And for iron I ate more oatmeal with blackstrap molasses than I had before. We tend to eat too much protein in the United States, so I actually wasn't as worried about that. And as long as you get your iron checked out and you are fine, then you should be ok. I would go with your instincts for sure.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wanted to eat beans, garbanzos, lentiles... beans, beans, beans. I didn't crave them... I just wanted to choose dishes with the most beans. I think your body may be able to tell you. Don't forget sprouts and greens... loaded with the amino acids which are the building blocks of protein.

Super Mom.  Super Wife.  Super Tired.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I just have NO desire to be counting grams of anything and trust my instincts more now than 5 yrs ago when I was pregnant.  I remember spending hours looking up cereals with 100% iron and feeling grossed out by the sugar content and yuck factor to multi-grain cheerios etc!  I eat oatmeal every am now, with raisins and soy milk.  I feel great and feel my body craves protein when i need it....

User Tag List