Age you gave your little ones peanut butter? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My son is 14 months and peanut butter would be an easy, protein filled option. I spoke with my sister who said you can give children peanut butter starting at 1 year. I've read other places 2-3 years. I'm wondering what other folks are doing.

Thanks!

#2 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've started peanuts and other nuts in the last few weeks. My LO will be one in a week. No problems so far, and none anticipated :)

#3 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! He's had other nuts (almonds and walnuts) without any problems. Maybe I'll try him on peanut butter. :-)

#4 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM

6 1/2 months.  No problems eat.gif  He's almost one now and he LOVES peanut noodles.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#5 of 17 Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM

We have a history of asthma and eczema in our family so we waited until he was close to three.

I am almost embarrassed to admit it but we gave him a peanut butter sandwich while sitting in our car outside the ER. We wanted to be close unless he had an anaphylactic reaction. hide.gif  After that we slowly introduced other nuts.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#6 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Kids 1, 3 and 4 were two years old when they got peanuts, if I remember correctly.  Number 2 was under 4 months old.  My then 3 year old lovvvvvvvvved to share her pb sandwiches!  *sigh*  Fortunately he wasn't allergic to pb or wheat!

#7 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM

DD1 was about a year old and I remember the mdc moms tearing me apart for that decision lol. 

There were no allergies on either side of her family though, and all was well. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#8 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM

2 years, no history of allergies ( besides my DH being allergic to peacock feathers).

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#9 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Oldest was 18months old and youngest wasen't quite 1 yet. We don't have any history of food allergies on either side, though hubby has mild hay fever/asthma.

#10 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

We have a history of asthma and eczema in our family so we waited until he was close to three.

I am almost embarrassed to admit it but we gave him a peanut butter sandwich while sitting in our car outside the ER. We wanted to be close unless he had an anaphylactic reaction. hide.gif  After that we slowly introduced other nuts.

I love this! I've actually had that thought myself, although couldn't quite bring myself to do it. BUT -- here's my confession -- when buying our house last year, proximity to the hospital was a big selling point for me. 

#11 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 AM

I gave my daughter peanut butter at 13moths and she loved it, and had no problems with reactions.

#12 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Some time after the first year. We use all kinds of nut butters as well and had no history of allergies.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#13 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

LOL! We're around the corner from the hospital. :-)

#14 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM

With no known food allergies in the family, we gave DD her first taste around 1 year, maybe even a bit earlier...

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#15 of 17 Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM

My first was 2 my second child was 1. We have no allergies. Also, newer info said keeping kids away from allergens actually can make them worse, especially with peanuts. 

#16 of 17 Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Somewhere between one and two. Two things to keep in mind -  1. Spread it THIN, lubricate with jelly. Peanut butter is a potential choking hazard. 2. It's not the first exposure that's going to case a life threatening allergic reaction (in the rare case that it seems to, there was probably an unknown prior exposure). One reason allergists recommend waiting is that children can communicate the more subtle symptoms of their first reaction more effectively if they are older.

#17 of 17 Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Our LO had eczema and was sensitive to cow's milk, but he was fine with soy and other legumes (which is a good sign that nuts will be OK).

We did it right around 12 months. We gave him a very small taste. And we did it in the AM so there was plenty of time to notice a reaction and rush to the hospital/ doctor.

He loved it and wanted more, but we waited till the next day to give him a full serving. Now it's a regular option: peanut butter on crackers, PB sandwiches, PB tortilla roll-ups, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page