What's cooking in Spring? (April, May) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far this week;

Sun--GF pasta with "creamy" (used cashew cream) tomato sauce and broccoli. Turned out really good, even though I was making it up as I went and ds ate a ton.  I also made a GF bread pudding with coconut milk and it was fabulous!

Mon--stir fry with bok choy and tofu and br rice

Tue--Greek salad

Now I don't know what I'll do for the rest of the week. I have some veggie sausage that I need to use Got our CSA box today and there are two bags of fava beans. I have never cooked with them before. Anyone know something yummy to make with them???

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#62 of 88 Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Last night we had Salbury seitan, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

Tonight was Greek salads with hummus and tofu "feta"

Tomorrow will likely be spagetti with sausage, or atleast pasta of some sort since it is park day we always get home late and need somehting quick.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#63 of 88 Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That sounds interesting! Do you mind sharing how you make Salsbury seitan? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

Last night we had Salbury seitan, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

Tonight was Greek salads with hummus and tofu "feta"

Tomorrow will likely be spagetti with sausage, or atleast pasta of some sort since it is park day we always get home late and need somehting quick.

#64 of 88 Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Yesterday was a fabolous salad with a fantastic dressing. (Mayo, sweet/strong mustard, juice of a lime and currypowder.) 

Today is my favorite pastadish: WW pasta (just a little for me, sadly) with a TON of fresh brussesprouts and parmesan. :D Found the recipe at Rachel Ray`s site. There is bacon in it, but I just make that on the side, and serve it to my son. :) 

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#65 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 AM

M: chick-pea patties, mashed red potatoes peas and gravy..soo good!

T: Pesto bread with lactose free cheese and hummus w/ carrots and baby cucumbers (was a late and last minute meal)

Spinach and chick-pea stir fry with cashew sauce and brown rice for lunch

W: Spinach, walnut and lemon pesto with rainbow linguini

Th: Spinach red sauce with ww spaghetti

Fri: Pizza w/ left over spinach red sauce and chick-pea topping

...you may have noticed a lot of spinach in my meals.  That is because I bought a huge box of organic spinach at Costco and knew that I would not be able to eat this in salads!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#66 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Tomorrow I am making some vegan waffles and vegan bacon after I get back from my 5k race!!!joy.gif

lunch- will probably be something simple since I will be tired and will do peanutbutter sandwiches or grilled tofutti sandwiches

dinner will be some type of salad since it gets soooo hot here already!

Sunday breakfast-  apple with peanut butter  and orange juice or soy milk to drink

lunch--- vegan chicken drum sticks with vegan stuffing cut veggies and some black iced tea

dinner---- we dont usually do a big dinner usually this is movie night so it is popcorn and drinks (not healthy I know but it is still vegan without nasty butter) oh and we will have soy icecream neopolitan mmmmm yummy!

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#67 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Mmm pesto sounds good. Going to have to make something with it next week! We've been eating throw together meals bc my daughter had surgery this week. Back to cooking tonight though.

Tonight is the tempeh with apricot jam recipe. Been meaning to try that recipe for a while now. Serving over rice. Also doing sauteed rainbow chard with figs and pine nuts.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#68 of 88 Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Hoping to make bbq quorn tenders, asparagus, and a baked ziti with brocolli for my husband to give us some meals for the week ahead...

#69 of 88 Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM

That tempeh with jam sounds sooo good would love the recipe... If you care to share it. praying.gif

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#70 of 88 Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM

I've been sick for a week now and do not feel like cooking so dinner tonight is

Quorn chicken nuggets, sweet potato fries, frozen vegetables and a small salad

Tomorrow night will be grill out night- corn on cob, "burgers" (black bean for me, reg for family) and watermelon

Finals are next week also, so I'm sure we will have some more meals from the freezer :) I bet the family will be glad when I actually start cooking real food again.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#71 of 88 Old 05-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

Got our CSA box today and there are two bags of fava beans. I have never cooked with them before. Anyone know something yummy to make with them???

You could try this: http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2010/07/recipe-farmers-fava-bean-dip/  (btw~Sayward, if you read this-I love your blog!! Um, I kind of feel like a stalker now...)

Can I just say that you ladies are so creative with your meals!! I have been in Iraq since I switched to a veg*n diet and haven't been able to cook anything...I love these threads for all the inspiration and ideas I can make when I get home. I have about 50 pages of recipes and meal ideas to try! Back to lurkdom :)

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#72 of 88 Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Thai curry tonight. Before that, I think it was strawberry spaghetti.

#73 of 88 Old 05-15-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have made lots of miso soup with soba noodles, tofu and fresh veggies from our CSA  it seems to be dinner a couple of nights a week now. I've also been big on curry stir frys this month as well. I have made vegan pizza every weekend since the begining of April which my DD loves, I haven't made one yet this week and don't feel like running out in the rain for mushrooms and olives so itll have to wait for monday. Maybe I will get the dough ready tonight though. Yesterday we had pinto bean, chorizo, brown rice, avocado and salsa burritos. Right now I'm about to bake some bagels to use our tub of vegan cream cheese on before it goes bad.

PS I love this thread!

be good family...

#74 of 88 Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Great ideas - do you bake your bagels vs boil them ?  Ive always wanted to try.  I loved miso soup all winter- is it cool where you are or do you not mind hot soups in warmer weather?

#75 of 88 Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

That sounds interesting! Do you mind sharing how you make Salsbury seitan? Thanks!

Not much of a recipe. You slice a pound of seitan about 1/2 inch thick, brush with dijon musturd, dip in corn meal and fry. Take them out of the pan and make a brown onion gravy. Add the seitan back in and simmer a few minutes til warm. YUM!

Tonight we had ribz, corn on the cob, and cole slaw. Too bad I forgot to check if I had bbq sauce 1st. They just aren't the same without sauce.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#76 of 88 Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sausage and sauteed spinach over mashed potatoes (last Friday)

Yam and kale coconut curry (Sunday)

Stuffed bell peppers (stuffed with black beans, quinoa and corn), yesterday

Tonight I am making chili and cornbread since it's a cool, rainy day here.  Tomorrow, I will be out for dinner-time so I'll probably just leave some spaghetti for DH and DS, since that is one of the meals DS will reliably eat.

I'd love to try the chickpea cutlets people keep mentioning here. . .maybe for Friday night, since I try and make a more special meal that night.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#77 of 88 Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Made some home made ww bread today.  YUM!

#78 of 88 Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM

I also made ww bread yesterday- rainy and cold here.  Also a miso soup with quorn chicken.

#79 of 88 Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM

corn on the cob, fried zucchini, cantaloupe and sunflower bread with raw milk lactose free cheese aged cheddar.  Tastes like summer!

#80 of 88 Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM

We're having a summer meal too. Partially bc our oven is broken and the people can't get out here to look at it until Wed! Dinner tonight is chickpea tuna salad, caprese salad (heirloom tomato and avocado slices instead of cheese, topped with basil) and artichokes with vegan garlic aioli.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#81 of 88 Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

we are eating alot of salads and vegan deli meat sandwiches. We throw in alot of hummus too....

~crunchyveganmom~

treehugger.gif

#82 of 88 Old 05-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Last night was savory lentils, corn on the cob and brussells. Still waiting for the oven repairman to come today. I have no clue what I'll be making for dinner!

Cindy

#83 of 88 Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Hi, I am new here and I just had to respond to this strawberry marinara post! That is new! I may just have to try it, as you made it sound so good! I love sharing food ideas, thanks for this thread, and the recipe idea!

#84 of 88 Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Tonight we had salad and pasta with the Lemony cashew pesto from EDBV. It was really good but very thick. I had to laugh at DH though when he said the basil was overwhelming. I said "um...it's pesto." Oh well!

#85 of 88 Old 05-27-2011, 05:04 PM

seitan and brussel sprouts withNYeast on big salads with yummy homemade bread.

#86 of 88 Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM

tonight since it is soo nice we are having stir fry... I am putting some fake chicken in it for my boys. Fingers crossed that they eat it!

~crunchyveganmom~

treehugger.gif

#87 of 88 Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM

My stupid oven STILL isn't fixed! The guy came on wednesday said it's too old to order parts. That is actually a good thing bc it's covered under our home warranty so hopefully they are going to buy us a new one! Old one is electric and I can't wait to go back to gas! But I just wish the warranty people would get it figured out already.

It rained out of the blue today. So I made a navy bean soup with fresh rosemary. A nice olive bread for dunking. Tomorrow is going to be a stir fry of zucchini, dif. color peppers, mushrooms and onion over rice. Some fake chicken might go nicely in that stir fry too, now that you mention it, crunchyveganmom. I hope your boys eat it! I know my little one won't.

Cindy

#88 of 88 Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Friday I was planning to make vegan sausages but even after going to the store to get a can a beans I didn't realize until I started dinner that I was out of gluten. banghead.gif So we had Quorn chik patties, roasted yellow and sweet potatoes and watermelon.

Yesterday I was exausted so I caved in and got pizza. It was the 1st time getting a no cheese pizza for DH. I don't think we will do that again, it was nasty. I think we will stick with the frozen Amy's or TJ's no cheese pizza instead.

Tonight we are having a bbq for mil's birthday. I am bringing potato salad and veggie patties/dogs. Who knows what else will be there...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page