Vitamins for BF Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Were any other breastfeeding moms given those liquid multi-vitamins for their baby?  

My little guy has a tendency to projectile vomit now when he's given them.  So, since food seemed more important, I've stopped giving them to him.  I know he needed the Vitamin D and the B12, but I think he gets most of the others from my diet.  

Now its sunnier out and we go outside every chance we can get, so the only thing I'm really concerned about is the B12.  Is supplementing MY diet with B12 enough?  I'm not currently, but I probably should be, and I have it in my medicine chest.  

He is going to the Dr for his 2 month checkup next week, and I want to be able to say, "No, I'm not giving them to him anymore and this is why", or, "No, I'm not because they make him throw up and I don't know what to do".  

#2 of 2 Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Are you vegan?  

If so, breastmilk should have enough so long as you are currently getting enough b12. Most adults have enough B12 stored up to last for years and years of not getting enough, but the amount in breastmilk is more closely related to current intake than to what the mother has left for her own stores, so a vegan mother who is not supplementing b12 could herself still be fine but not have enough for her baby in her breastmilk.  This page has a lot of information: http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/infants

For vitamin D, there is a supplement called Baby Ddropes (there is another for adults) available here in Canada that has an entire years worth of vitamin D in one small bottle.  You just let a single, small drop drip onto your nipple or a pacifier, or mix with food/drink for older babies and toddlers if you want, and that's it.  I know I have seen that it is available in the states too, though perhaps not so easy to find, but can't remember what it is called there.  Unfortunately though, it is D3, but when it's the best available solution...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page