Low body temp/lack of ovulation due to vegan diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone had any problems with lack of period/low basal body temps due to vegan diet?  My baby is 15 months old, stopped bfeeding at 12 months, I haven't gotten my period back (and it was super! irregular before baby).  Started tracking my temps and i'm in 96.6/96.8 degree range in the mornings.  Hormone blood tests came back ok.  Acupuncturists thinks I need to increase my blood amount (ie Floridex, beets, etc).  Does anyone else have any experience with this?  I'm at a loss of what to do and we'd like to get pregnant with #2 this spring. 

#2 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Are you underweight? What's your body fat %age and calorie intake?

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#3 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure, to tell you the truth.  I'm 31, about 5/4, weigh 118-120.  exercise 3-5 times a week (run 3-4 miles 1-2x week, yoga, at home dvd's, etc).  I have an office job, so sit on my butt most of day.  I don't know my body fat %.  Is there a range to watch out for?  Thanks for your response.

#4 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Your BMI is 20.3 which is healthy, so you're not underweight. When body fat gets below 16-17% many women can experience loss of period, but I doubt yours is that low. Hmmm. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is fat intake, maybe you're not getting enough? Some days I have to eat a handful of walnuts before bed to make sure I'm getting enough. Otherwise I'm stumped, maybe you should get a blood workup to see if there's a hormonal imbalance or something.

ETA: duh, you already had blood tests. LOL. I guess I got nothin'. Sorry! :)

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
#5 of 6 Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM

You say your hormones are ok but what tests were done? Did you have a full thyroid panel? Many drs will only do a basic TSH which doesn't really tell you much. Both low temp and fertility issues are symptoms of hypothyroid.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#6 of 6 Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM

What's your soy intake like?

My basal temps when I was vegetarian and eating a lot of tofu were really low, like 95-96, I'd have maybe one day of fertile mucous (and not much) and I'd have short periods and only need to use anything for the blood one day out of that. Normal basic thyroid levels, horrible cholesterol levels.

With far less soy and far more iron, I get 3 days of copious fertile mucous and normal periods. Still normal TSH, but vastly improved cholesterol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page