Tough menu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With a new diagnosis I juat moved into a stricter diet.

no glueten, no dairy, no soy, no eggs, no yeast, no refined sugars, no chocolate, no meat, no legumes.

the legumes threw me for a loop...i love my black, white, navey, chickpeas and refried, kidney beans  .....and those little lentils.

my diet is slim right now.

any suggestions within those parameter please feel free to post.

to help with getting omega 6 I am permitte fish on this MS diet.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Sounds like my diet. I think canned salmon and sardines are your new best friend! If you need a plant based protein supplement I think this one would fit all your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031JK96C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1UEHM7RMBZPS4

How about smoothies for breakfast? I make mine with fresh greens, avocado, fruit, that protein powder, and unsweetened almond milk. My lunches are usually big salads (I use kale/chard/spinach instead of lettuce), chopped veggies, nuts and tahini based dressing. You could throw a can of fish in there too. Veg based soups and stews are my dinner staples. Nuts and fruit are my snacks. I make my own 'energy bars' out of greens, dates and nuts. While it may sound limited, the seasonal variation in available produce actually makes for a nicely varied diet!

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 PM

I have been eating buck wheat for breakfast every day this week (vegan and off sugar and simple carbs right now).  So I cook it with some chili powder, cumin and sea salt.  Quinoa is another good gluten free grain that is both full of fiber, and protein.  For Omega's I add ground flax and chia seeds to just about anything I can (smoothies, yogurt, hot breakfast cereals..)

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Tinkyada pasta is awesome. It is brown rice.

How about pumpkin seeds? Here's a great recipe.

Potatoes with Pipian Sauce

Sauce

3          tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2       onion, coarsely chopped

1          cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)

2          garlic cloves, minced

1 large can    tomatillos*

a bit of sauce from a can of adobo chiles (too hot for me to add more)

1 1/2    cups fresh cilantro leaves

1 1/2    cups torn romaine leaves

1 1/4    cups low-salt vegetable broth 

3          radishes, trimmed, chopped

Potato mixture (It’s been a long time since I’ve made this so I don’t remember the amounts)

potatoes

mushrooms

cashews

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add  next 3 ingredients. Sauté until seeds are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Set aside.

Place tomatillos, jalapeZo, cilantro, lettuce, broth, radishes, and seed mixture to blender. Blend sauce  until smooth, stopping occasionally to push down ingredients. Add more broth or water if needed.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sauce; cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.  (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)<p>

Microwave Potatoes then cut into cubes. Sautee in oil with sliced mushrooms and cashews. Serve with sauce.

* Green tomato-like vegetables with paper-thin husks. Available at

Latin American markets and some supermarkets.

Bon Appétit

September 2002 and adapted  by me

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Adapted From the Weight Watcher's Make it in Minutes Cookbook

Saute an onion and red pepper in olive oil. When soft add a clove of garlic. Then add one or two cups of fresh basil leaves. Saute for a minute. Add 3/4 cup broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup milk, half and half, almond milk or whatever. Blend (an immersion blender doesn't work so well for this, it needs a real blender.) Serve over Tinkyada pasta.

This is my 5 year old's favorite pasta sauce. 

It's interesting, but my favorite cookbooks are the ones by Weight Watchers. The food is so good and there is little packaged food in the recipes. If you'd like more recipes like the two I've shared with you, let me know.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

User Tag List