Going Vegan! Please help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a great thread.  Just wondering how KatWrangler is doing??

#32 of 37 Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

I've been vegan for 4 whole days now. :D So this is a great thread!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#33 of 37 Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congratulations, Funny Face!

#34 of 37 Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

Congratulations, Funny Face!

Thank you!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#35 of 37 Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Reviving this thread a little bit and hoping for a bit of input from you experienced vegans!

I've been vegetarian now for close to 6 years. I've tried to make the switch to veganism but I think it was too quickly done (not well planned/researched from my side) right after I gave up meat. Then we came to Italy and I was already struggling living vegetarian here (sooo many things are hard to get here in Sicily!).

Long story short, I'd like to eat even more vegan than I am already doing (I don't eat dairy & eggs that much, unless they're included in recipes..) but my husband -omni!- is convinced that the vegan diet is not healthy and always claims that he's reading it all the time how people get sick bla bla bla.. (He makes sure to remind me of a lady we met at a healthfood store back when we're in the US who was vegan for close to 20 yrs, got sick and somehow her doc told her she's depriving her body of essential food and that she would need to eat meat again..)

Now, my husband and kids mostly eat what I cook, which is to 90% vegan, and overall DH leaves me in peace with my decisions.. but I'd really like to show him proof, literature etc. that it is NOT unhealthy to eat vegan! I mainly need to really get the facts of what my body needs to be healthy (already not eating any veg processed stuff unless I'm in a pinch and it's a garden or beanburger from 'Gardenburger').

Are there any good books out there? I've read the recommendation for Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet - Brenda Davis

Are there any other good ones out there I could present him? Or possibly any websites?

I'd appreciate your help! winky.gif

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#36 of 37 Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 AM

Mark Bittman and Bill Clinton might be your best bet for helping your husband see that Veganism can be responsible, sustainable, and even 'mainstream.' Bittman is an omni, but he talks a lot about the ethics of the North American food system (and much of the developed world, really). He recommends being vegan until dinner. And Bill Clinton, king of the big mac, has completely turned his health around by following his daughter's advice to go vegan. Those are the two peeps that Barry (my DH) responded to the most. In fact, he's been gladly eating the vegan dishes I serve.

The 21-day kickstart starts today. Would your family be interested in trying that?

http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/

I'm sure other folks can direct you to the solid research. I'm just thinking from a layman's perspective. smile.gif

Happy eating!

Amie

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#37 of 37 Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Thank you, Amie! I appreciate it!

I will check out the link (always happy to stumble over more recipes too LOL) and see what I can find to present DH!

As to him being open of trying to go vegan, no, unfortunately that's a clear 'No' from his side!shake.gif  Heck, he doesn't even want to give up meat! (He eats it mainly out though 2-3x/week for his lunch, at home he eats what I cook, thankfully!)

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page