Edamame okay for 1 year old boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He is still mostly only BFing, so I was excited that he liked edamame enough to eat about ten today.  DH is concerned about the estrogen/soy link.  His nephew often ate a WHOLE BLOCK of tofu a DAY and is wild as a buck...this may or may not be what is fueling DH's concern, but I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what a "safe" amount of soy is for a boy.  Any ideas or resources?  Thanks, mamas!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#2 of 3 Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/april/050400pusoy.htm

There are people that will tell you soy is poison, and no amount is safe. There are those who will tell you it is a miracle wonder food. My opinion is that neither of them are right. Soy is a legume. It is a food, like wheat, dairy, nuts, eggs, corn and peanuts, that some people are allergic/sensitive to. Sometimes those allergies affect behavior. Sometimes they manifest in other ways. I react well to soy foods, as do the rest of my family. I eat tofu, tempeh, soymilk, edamame and/or tamari most days. I eat soy sausages and soyrizo a few times a year. I buy organic for the soy foods I eat frequently, but I don't worry about my 'soy intake' any more than I worry about my 'turtle bean intake' (which is to say I track the calories, try to get a variety of different legumes each week, and shoot for two to three servings of food in that category each day). The mild taste and smooth texture of tofu makes it a great and reliable way to get lysine into my vegan 6 year-old, who usually will eat beans and peanuts, but sometimes decides she doesn't want to.

Ravensong13 and imogenlily like this.
#3 of 3 Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 PM

This guy, Jack Norris, is an animal rights activist but also a registered dietician who doesn't try to portray veganism as a perfect, no effort healthy diet, either. He did a review of the possible detrimental health effects of soy, and this is what he says about soy and its effects on testosterone. Basically, he says that research does not back up the claim that anything less than a diet based entirely on soy (we're talking huge quantities of soy, 12 servings or more a day) would be problematic.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page