Need healthy but fattening vegan muffin recipes please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking to increase the amount of healthy fats in my son's diet (he's 7), as well as my own. We are both vegan. I'm breastfeeding my 4-month-old at the moment so while I do eat a fair amount of good fat already I figure more can't hurt! My 7yo though can be a picky eater and doesn't eat a lot of fat. He will eat peanut butter and other nut butters, sometimes nuts, and I add olive oil liberally to our meals. He won't eat avocado and doesn't like coconut, though hidden in chocolate it's probably OK! :) Anyhow, he'll gobble up muffins so I thought fattening but healthy muffins would be a good snack idea.

Oh, and he's allergic to walnuts and pecans, and I want to stay away from peanut butter for myself, so no walnuts, pecans or peanut butter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I don't have a recipe on hand, but I would just take a recipe you & he already like, and make some substitutions/additions.

Easiest one I can think of is subbing coconut milk for whatever liquid (water/milk) the recipe calls for. Use full-fat coconut milk (not Silk or whatever since they are diluted)...

Use flax seeds in place of eggs (rather than Egg Replacer).

If a recipe calls for applesauce or mashed bananas, add pureed avocado or coconut cream in place of half the fruit puree.

Chop almonds/other nuts very very finely and just throw them in, or make "surprise" muffins with almond or sunflower butter in the center.

And, put a spread like Earth Balance on your muffins if you don't already...

You could also puree avocado with cocoa powder & a bit of sugar to make a pudding-type 'frosting' for the muffins (obviously could end up being a lot of sugar so I'd reduce the sugar in the muffins themselves if you went this route).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 4 Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 PM

this recipe makes really yummy & healthy muffins. i keep them in a tupperware container in the fridge.  just omit the nuts, or add in nuts you can eat.

- 1 cup whole wheat flour

- 2 cups unbleached white flour (you can use all whole wheat - they'll just be more dense)
- a handful of ground flaxseed
- a tablespoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder & ½ baking soda

whisk dry ingredients together

- in separate bowl:

- mash 1 ripe bananas
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup of canola oil (or coconut or vegetable...whatever)
- 1 teaspoon  vanilla

- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ - ½ cup raisins
- chopped pecans walnuts to your liking (omit due to allergies or change to a nut of your choice)
- add 1 diced apple (optional)

Mix dry & wet ingredients together

Mix all ingredients with your hands. if it's too dry, i just add almond milk to thin it. Milk is fine too, but it won’t be vegan.

Cook on 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Because i never use *exact* measurements - the time will vary.  It should be firm to touch though.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 4 Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM

muffins are a great way to get extra fats in- id concentrate on flax oil and seeds, lots of nuts, and top off with lots of nut butter- yum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page