Resources for Ovo/Lacto Kid? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My animal-loving nine-year-old has decided she wants to go vegetarian. I'm surprised that it's taken this long, but the kid LOVES the taste of meat! She wants to avoid red meat and chicken and in theory will be pescatarian (but in practice she doesn't like seafood that much so I doubt she'll be eating much). I'm happy to be supportive -- DH and I are not veg*n and have no plans to go that way, but enjoy meatless meals. And I have tons of vegetarian cookbooks, because "regular" books are often too skimpy on the vegetable and meatless dishes.

I think it would be good for DD to find a community online with other vegetarian kids, to get an idea of what eating this way will be like and to feel supported. Most of the online stuff I've found aimed at kids has been vegan, plus often raw or soy-heavy or low-fat or other eating styles more restricted than how she wants to eat. Even Vegetarian Times, which is not an exclusively vegan magazine, only has vegan recipes and food recommendations in the kids section of their "getting started" guide! She doesn't need or want to replace dairy and eggs with substitutes and I don't particularly want her to feel encouraged to consume tons of processed soy "milks" or meat replacements.

#2 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM

young veggie website (recipes not all vegan, kinda fun, UK based)

some of these links might be of interest (from vegetarian resource site - aimed at teens and seem information/learning based so might not be exactly what you're looking for. . but worth looking through).

#3 of 3 Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page