The Vegan Survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For fun. smile.gif

How old were you when you became a vegan?

What made you choose veganism?

Are there any foods that you miss?

How did close friends/family react when you made the change?

What's your favorite vegan recipe?

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan?

How many other vegans do you know IRL?

Do you have a favorite vegan resource?

lurk.gif

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#2 of 21 Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM

I did a week-long vegan "cleanse" after I used food as a coping mechanism to quit smoking for a year (ie, there were many pizzas and midnight candy bars and generally tons of awful crap). So I went vegan for a week and was like, "Well shit, that was so much easier than I ever imagined. Now I can't pretend I don't know that, there's no going back." And I never did.  =)

nope.

I was super sensitive to the feelings of those around me, to not convey judgment towards anyone, and I was lucky that they were the same. I've been very supported.

I can't choose just one! - http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/?cat=12

More energy, digestive troubles/IBS/constipation cleared up, more in touch with my body, more intuitive with food, enjoy food a LOT more, better skin (by far!), and most importantly the sense of calm and compassion that accompanies eating without causing harm. That was unexpected and so profoundly life-changing.

Tons and tons. I live in Portland!  =D

I think Becoming Vegan is the best intro-type resource, it's so incredibly comprehensive. Colleen Patrick Goudreau's podcast, Vegetarian Food For Thought, is such a lovely, thorough, humble yet passionate primer on ethical veganism. It's so terribly well balanced, emotional vs intellectual, and there's just nothing else like it.

For the crowd that may be frequenting this board, I'll shamelessly plug the book I'm releasing this summer: The Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide (http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2011/02/and-then-i-wrote-a-book/)

Funny Face likes this.

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#3 of 21 Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 AM

How old were you when you became a vegan? 17

What made you choose veganism? I wanted to live a healthier and more cruelty free lifestyle.  I'd have to say at the time the punk scene really influenced me.  One of my first "cookbooks" was soy not oi

Are there any foods that you miss? nope

How did close friends/family react when you made the change? I became vegan when I left home because at home my family wasn't that supportive of my food choices.  Once I was vegan I would say they were more accepting because I showed them I can cook for myself and make it work.  Most of my family is more supportive now

What's your favorite vegan recipe? I can't say I have a favorite but I like anything out of appetite for reduction right now

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan? I have an overall feeling of healthiness.  I am no longer borderline anemic.  I actually care about what foods I put into my body now.  I have a better sence of self worth since I know I am being kinder to the earth .

How many other vegans do you know IRL?  I know a lot.  I live in a very vegan friendly community

Do you have a favorite vegan resource? www.theppk.com  great group of people

Funny Face likes this.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#4 of 21 Old 05-02-2011, 11:25 AM

27 (2009)

I had read 'Skinny Bitch' in 2007 which made me look at what I was eating. I started reading labels and even attempted Vegetarianism but it didn't last long. (still read labels though).
Then in 09 I read 'Skinny Bastard' and looked into it a bit more and found 'Earthlings'. Made my brother and my husband watch it. We've been Vegan ever since.

I desperately miss fish and eggs.....and cream (as in clotted cream, double cream etc)

My dad said he always knew I'd be a vegetarian one day, my mum was a bit taken aback and my aunt said we're making a mistake, man is supposed to eat meat!

Any cake that tastes like the 'real' thing. I can't stand those clearly vegan cakes/biscuits that have no taste but agave nectar/similar

Not that much

My husband and brother

no, I have a virtual folder packed with links

eat.gif
Funny Face likes this.
#5 of 21 Old 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM

26, about a year ago.

Lots of reasons...health, environmental, and animal rights reasons.  And I just realized once I cut out meat and dairy I was only a small step from being vegan so just went for it.

Cheese pizza.  With the real stuff, and lots of it!

Mostly concern over my protein, then calcium, then iron, then b12.  Oy.

I don't really have a "favorite".  I love all the desserts I've always had, just veganized (is that a word?).  I really like grilled cheese sandwiches made with daiya cheese.

My GI problems are gone, I've lost 45+ lbs and gone from a size 16 to a 4/6. 

One.

Not really.

:)

Funny Face likes this.
#6 of 21 Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 AM

How old were you when you became a vegan? Maybe 21 or so??? I don't remember exactly.

What made you choose veganism? I was relying so heavily on dairy products (almost every meal consisted of yogurt, cheese, or ice cream) and then did some reading online -- was really bored at work one summer -- and discovered how unhealthy dairy products can be... from there, I was 99% of the way to vegan (since I was already vegetarian, egg-free, and ate very little processed food) so I just figured, why not go all the way? (Obviously did a lot of reading on it, it wasn't as random as it sounds!)

Are there any foods that you miss? Every once in a while I get a craving for real cheese, pizza, or ice cream, but for the most part, no.

How did close friends/family react when you made the change? Family was annoyed and thought I was just trying to restrict my calories (I'm a former anorexic... and I guess there was some truth to that...) but after a couple years they relaxed and saw I was doing better than ever in that department & so fully accepted the change.

What's your favorite vegan recipe? Thai peanut noodles

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan? I enjoy food more & am way more creative & varied with what I eat. Also, it 'cured' me of most my remaining anorexic tendencies! (I feel like a crazy person saying that... oh well...) And it opened the door to many more naturally-minded choices.

How many other vegans do you know IRL? Ummm I know a lot of people that sometimes eat/have eaten vegan but I don't currently have any friends or family that are vegan.

Do you have a favorite vegan resource? google. with google, all things vegan are possible. lol.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 21 Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 AM

15. I was a vegetarian for 2 yrs before that.

I had always been intrigued in vegetarianism and when i was 13 I read an expose in RollingStone magazine describing the horrors in modern day beef slaughtering plants. I immediately cut out red meat and eventually cut out more and more animal products as I made those connections.

Nope.

My mom supported me fully, my dad supported me but never really "got" it. My bf at the time HATED it so needless to say we didn't last too long after that.

I don't really have a favorite, there are too many to choose from!

I feel amazing in body, mind, and soul. It has also helped me bring some amazing, wonderful people into my life.

Too many to count

Not really. Just tons of books and blogs

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#8 of 21 Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post

For fun. smile.gif

How old were you when you became a vegan?  Er...I went veg 20 years ago, at 20, and have been flirting with veganism more or less unsuccessfully until last year, when I finally  just  went all the way.

What made you choose veganism?  It was a crisis of conscience - I had to face the fact that, in supporting the dairy industry, I was contributing to the same level of animal suffering that I was supposedly boycotting by not eating meat.

Are there any foods that you miss?  Cream.  My grandmother used to give me cornflakes with sugar and heavy cream, and I still love it.  I could DRINK cream.  Oh, and macaroni and cheese - the cheap boxed kind.  

How did close friends/family react when you made the change?  They took it as one more example of eccentricity, ribbed me about it for a while, then moved on to something new.

What's your favorite vegan recipe?  It's not really a recipe, but I like to bury a baked potato in earth balance, spicy black beans, red pepper strips, steamed broccoli, and avocado.

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan?  I have some weird digestive issues that I won't get into, but my insides are happy with the abolishment of animal fat - frolicking with happiness, in fact!

How many other vegans do you know IRL?  None.  I am the last tin vegan.

Do you have a favorite vegan resource?  I really like blogs - blogs by real people who cook real food.  That was the biggest help to me, in finally transitioning completely - to see realistic vegan eating.  Sometimes it's exciting and adventurous and sometimes it's toast with almond butter for dinner, and that's ok too.  Oh, and I adore Sarah Kramer's blog, but that's mainly because I adore Sarah Kramer.  :heart

Holly

lurk.gif

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#9 of 21 Old 05-06-2011, 12:38 PM

I am new to veganism so my current age 24

I was already a veggie but then I read Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin and went vegan before I even finished the book!

No foods that I miss.

My family doesn't approve. They all really love their meat and cheese! The love of my life was and still is very supportive couldn't do it without him. And my best friend converted with me that is great to have a hand to hold through such a big change.

I love all the meals i've tryed so far.

Alot of positive changes. Energy levels. over all health and a clean conscience.

I only know one Vegan and that my pal that converted with me.

#10 of 21 Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

a choose veganism? Compassion and love towards all creatures great and small.

Are there any foods that you miss? Not really unless I'm out of vegan sour cream... Oh yeah and most regular dairy cheese isn't even vegetarian as it contains retin an enzyme from calf intestines!

How did close friends/family react when you made the change? I grew up vegetarian so becoming vegan wasn't that big of a change when I was a kid.

What's your favorite vegan recipe? I don't know I like so much of the foods I eat.

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan? I don't know of too many since it was over a decade agao.

How many other vegans do you know IRL? I used to know a lot when I lived in CA but now that I've moved out of state with my kids dad I don't know too many crunchy folks.

Do you have a favorite vegan resource? The internet :) and veganonomicon

be good family...

#11 of 21 Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Mostly environmental concerns. Discovering a dairy allergy has helped my stick with it, though.

I miss the convenience of non-vegan foods more than any particular food. I have a much harder time with textiles than the food issue.

Reasonably well, really

My award winning smoky black-bean butternut squash chili.

I eat a greater variety of food, a number of chronic health issues resolved themselves (recurrent sinus infections, bowel issues, gall bladder pain).

Not many, and none very well.

Not any single one, no.

#12 of 21 Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

My award winning smoky black-bean butternut squash chili.

Recipe? eat.gif

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 21 Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM

#14 of 21 Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 PM

TY!!! Sounds so yummy!!!

#15 of 21 Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How old were you when you became a vegan?  28 (2 years ago)

What made you choose veganism?  I had briefly tried it in college but found it hard to stick to.  I was vegetarian/pescatarian for 12 years or so.  Then in early 2009 I was doing a fitness challenge at my gym and decided to go vegan while the challenge was going on, hoping I'd lose some weight and gain more points for my team, LOL.  I discovered that I actually liked it and never went back.

Are there any foods that you miss?  Fish and seafood.  I've actually had vegan shrimp before and it's not bad.  Some brilliant person needs to invent vegan smoked salmon...yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one ;)

How did close friends/family react when you made the change?  Much better than I expected.  I thought my mom would be sad that I wouldn't eat her food that I had loved so much in the past, but she adapted some recipes and found new ones, too.  My friends have overall been cool with it.  People do take it into consideration when having get-togethers and dinners out.

What's your favorite vegan recipe?  I make a mean tofu scramble and vegan lasagna.  I also love this blueberry coffee cake recipe I found online:  http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=26793.0

What positive changes have you noticed in your life since becoming a vegan?  No more GI issues!  I am lactose intolerant but pretty much ignored it (and felt crappy) for years.  Also, this might sound New Agey or whatever, but I feel a deeper connection with all creatures and I feel I have become more empathetic.  Oh, and before this pregnancy, I looked better than I ever had in my life!

How many other vegans do you know IRL?  Sadly, not many.  I live in Louisiana.  I do have some vegetarian friends though.

Do you have a favorite vegan resource?  The website veg web has tons of recipes, I go there a lot for inspiration!

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#16 of 21 Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM

24, vegetarian since 14

compassion, heath, environmentalism..  my then-carnivorous DH read my copy of "Animal Liberation" and wanted to give up all animal products cold turkey.  I was pleasantly surprised and decided to take the all vegan plunge with him.

Are there any foods that you miss?   craved cheese & eggs during pregnancy, but I just ate a lot of tofu scramble & fake cheese.  :)

How did close friends/family react when you made the change?  they were all tools when I first gave up meat & thought it was just an adolescent phase.  When I went vegan, I had already proven I knew what I was doing, and was a grown woman living far from home.  Friends still teased me about my cheese addiction that I'd held strong to all through college.  

What's your favorite vegan recipe?  easy 5 spice tofu, mac daddy from veganomicon,  spinach lasagna

lost some extra weight, more energy, more centered.

How many other vegans do you know IRL?  a couple.  I used to organize a local vegan meetup to bring more of us together

Do you have a favorite vegan resource?  not really unfortunately.  just google.  How I wish google was around when I first attempted veganism in high school!  I didn't know what I was doing.

~ diane & DH & Trent Julian 1/29/11 & Harmony Marija 11/29/12 x 2
#17 of 21 Old 05-24-2011, 08:29 AM

-I had been vegetarian since I was 8 years old for animal rights issues, and when I turned 19 and read more about the dairy industry, I realized supporting this industry also supported animal cruelty, so I had to quit.

-It has been almost 20 years now since going vegan, so I don't even remember what any of that food tastes like! So, no, I don't miss anything. But I am very appreciative of all the fun mock meat and dairy substitutes out there! Especially the ice creams; mmmmmmmm!

-No one gave it a second thought since I had already been vegetarian for so long.

-I love making vegan pizza with homemade crust and daiya cheese!

-I remember that my stomach issues went away. I used eat a lot of cow cheese which made me feel sickly and tired. Once I gave it up I did not have that problem.

-Maybe about 8 right now. I have met many more over the years though.

-Surprisingly, not really! Since I became vegan pre-internet days I don't really frequent many vegan sites. I did just get a subscription to VegNews, which I like. As far as books, I liked Diet for a New America. It was my bible back in the day.

EC so easy with ecaPants!! ~the flip down, drop front, little learning pants

Check out FB for updates, 'seconds' sales, deal announcements, etc smile.gif

#18 of 21 Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 AM

I was 30

I didnt like hurting animals and I was already a vegetarian so it was a natural transistion

believe it or not hot wings and ribs but when I think about it, It makes me sick

They thought I was crazy (I am from a family of farmers)

my vegan chili that is actually from the vegan zombie oooh and the stuffed acorn squash the do as well. Those are my two favorite....

I have more energy and I am just alot happier knowing that an animal isnt dying so I can eat

none

my vegan cook book skinny bitch!

~crunchyveganmom~

treehugger.gif

#19 of 21 Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM

26 (and now I'm 33), after being veg since 3rd grade.

It was an ethical decision based on environmental and animal concerns. Also, though, I was finally at a stage in my life where I could cook for myself, was more educated about nutritional needs, and could more easily find vegan resources and products. I had been a junk food vegan for a short time as an 18 year old.

Not at all. Not even in the beginning! 

Some were worried about the health effects, but they were already used to my vegetarianism.

I don't have a certain favorite recipe, but I think Robin Robertson's cauliflower "cheese" topping recipe for the lasagna in her "Vegan on the cheap" recipe is great on pizza, and much healthier than the new generation fake cheeses.

I have decreased the demand for animal products a little, and have opened some people's minds to the idea that animals have worth as something other than a product or commodity, as well as the notion that our actions affect the well-being of those we never meet face to face.

Casually, quite a few, but none are close friends.

Jack Norris RD's blog and website
Looking forward to his new book.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#20 of 21 Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM

around 20.

my then-boyfriend. He didn't make me do anything but he ate vegan and I was hooked. I actually didn't really get into it until we had broken up and I had moved out of my parents' house.

while I miss certain sweets and a wider variety of chocolates, I mostly miss the convenience of being able to get whatever I want wherever I am.

It didn't come too unexpectedly, I don't recall a lot of negativity. But I never really wanted to discuss my choices either.

Anything with lentils or chickpeas. I could eat lentil soup everyday. And most cookies from "vegan cookies take over your cookie jar"

a few.

hh2.gif

#21 of 21 Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post

For fun. smile.gif

lurk.gif

I was vegan in utero...from the very point of conception. I chose it because I didn't have an option, I guess. :giggle: But I've stayed with it because it's the only thing that makes sense to me...I believe in veganism...and I believe it's the best option. Never being omni, there's no foods to miss. I notice that I have much easier pregnancies than many woman who are omni or have otherwise junky diets...I was never supposed to be able to get pregnant, and when I did, they were sure I'd miscarry...I'm on healthy pregnancy #4. So neener, neener. :giggle: I know a decent amount of vegans...more than a lot of people seem to know. I don't have a favorite "resource", no...it's just always been my way of life to be vegan, so I never needed the guidance or support to make a change.

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian , Nutrition , Nutrition Good Eating , Nutrition A Global View

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page