Vegan Virgin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been a veggie for awhile, I am now jumping head first into the Vegan life and I have a 2 (almost 3) year old and a 5yr old. I'm having a little trouble finding recipes that they will enjoy. Please help me!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 PM

My kids like lots of plain legumes and plain grains as a staple.  They're not into mixed dishes yet.  So, for example if I'm making hummus or refried beans for the grownups to eat, I reserve some plain whole garbanzo beans or pinto beans for the kids to eat with pita bread or a tortilla.  They like quinoa, polenta, oatmeal, rice, bread, pasta, popcorn plain or with Earth Balance.  Sometimes they like to sprinkle their grain dishes with nutritional yeast (definitely an acquired taste, but yummy once you're used to it).  My kids like tofu cubes raw or slices of tofu breaded and baked.  We eat a lot of roasted almonds, pumpkin seeds and cashews.  Peanuts and peanut butter are also popular.  They drink almond milk, coconut milk, soymilk and calcium fortified OJ. 

Vegetables and fruits are usually pretty easy to get them to eat, but like the grains and legumes, they usually want them plain and not mixed up with other things.  They like apples with peanut butter, fruit and wheatgrass smoothies (I make the leftovers into popsicles).  They eat most vegetables either raw, steamed or boiled, but not stir fried for some reason.   

Maybe your kids are less picky about mixing things together.....Would they like soups?  Burritos?  Pasta dishes?  Some kids might like vegan cheeses made with blended nuts and seeds, nutritional yeast and lemon juice.  What types of things are they used to eating?   

#3 of 3 Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM

my daughter loves the following lately:

quinoa with chopped apple, agave nectar and earth balance

black beans and rice (and she will even eat the guacamole I make with it that has mango in it)

annie chuns seaweed chips, sesame flavor

roasted almonds

bananas with nut butter

pumpkin soup

penne with dairy free pesto, I make cilantro

steamed green beans

popcorn

edamame with gomazio(sea salt and toasted sesame seeds)

tacos with various bean/grain fillings

coconut yogurts in various flavors

coconut kefir

I liked the above posters ideas about keeping the beans and grains separate if the kids prefer it, my dd would def. like some meals to be served that way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page