Great recipes with beans/lentils without a lot of carbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would love to get yummy recipes with lots of lentils/beans, but without a lot of other carbs such as potatoes/rice. :) I`m diabetic, and trying to go back to a vegetarian lifestyle. (I was vegetarian until diagnosed, but found it really, really hard to both watch my carbs AND not eat meat. But I really want to be vegetarian again.) 

Soo, here I am, asking for recipes. :) I`m not very familiar with Indian food, but see a lot of stuff that looks really yum. And would love to try. And it looks like there are a lot of Indian recipes with lenitls/beans? But I would love every type of recipe that can be used as a dinner`ish food, with lentils/beans/other high-protein foods. 

TIA!

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

No one? shy.gif

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM

I consider beans a carb and typically dont mix them with other carbs- but do love bean dishes with bread on the side fro dipping ;)

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM

I usually eat them straight, especially black beans and lentils, prepared with typical South American spices (a bit of onion, curry, cumin, salt, garlic, maybe tomato for the lentils and a dash of sugar for the beans, with typically some mild veggies thrown in like brocoli stalks). There are also a billion soup and chili recipes out there that are carb-light and heavy on beans and veggies, which are very yummy, though I'm not a fan of hot soups in the summertime.

I also make a fair amount of patties, like chickpeas => falafel or black bean burgers with dill sauce, though I sub shredded zucchini in for the breadcrumbs. That's also a great use for leftover beans!

I also like my version of this Chickpea-veggie salad with yogurt dressing, which is a great recipe for hot weather. smile.gif

ETA, sorry, didn't notice this is in the veg forum, but hopefully this is still helpful! I'm not vegetarian, but I love the cost and convenience of beans/legumes and hate cooking meat!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#5 of 7 Old 05-15-2011, 03:59 PM

There are some yummy lentil recipes here: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/category/dal-lentils/ !

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 AM

I have some on my blog w/ mung

ayurmama.blogspot.com

#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM

I was thinking Indian food immediately too, but don't have any good recipes of my own to share. Sorry! (  We usually try to include lots of carbs for our son.) I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but wanted to mention that PCRM specifically promotes a vegan diet to diabetics. Check out their resource guide at http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/diabetes_book/index.html which includes many meal suggestions and accompanying recipes at http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/.  They have some good ones in the Legumes and Hearty Meals category (or something close to that), including some good dahl.

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page