Pureed Fruit Popsicles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Tomorrow morning I'm going to make fruit popsicles for my kids. My plan is to puree strawberries with a bit of juice (all I have on hand is peach juice--unfiltered.) My plan is to throw it in the blender then put into small cups with a popsicle stick (my son says he saw on youtube that you can  cover with a piece of foil with a slit to hold the stick upright.)

Has anyone made something like this? How did they turn out?

It may be too late to post before we make these, but it just occurred to me to see what others have done.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

those sound yum, and the foil idea is smart!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#3 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 AM

We just use regular popsicle holders so not sure about using the cups and sticks but I imagine it would work.  With regards to the fruit puree...that's all we do to make our popsicles.  Just frozen fruit, with some juice and/or water.  Sometimes we freeze smoothies too.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post

We just use regular popsicle holders so not sure about using the cups and sticks but I imagine it would work.  With regards to the fruit puree...that's all we do to make our popsicles.  Just frozen fruit, with some juice and/or water.  Sometimes we freeze smoothies too.

We just made a bunch, so I'm glad our recipe will work. I've made them in cups with popsicle sticks before and know they work (I don't like the plastic holders because I don't know about BPA. Though papercups probably have dioxin.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM

I too have popsicle holders but we puree whole fruit for all our popsicles and it's great.

I also sometimes add coconut oil to the batch.

I don't usually add any juice, but on rare occasion we might have something like a pineapple or something with extra juice pooling around, and that definitely gets saved for the popsicles.

Much better for you to keep the fiber intact instead of a juice popsicle. We even do things like add mint from our mint patch.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#6 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM

How do you get the popsicles out of the holder?  That is my biggest problem--I make the popsicles, then they do not want to come out?  Should I spray them with PAM or something first?

#7 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post

How do you get the popsicles out of the holder?  That is my biggest problem--I make the popsicles, then they do not want to come out?  Should I spray them with PAM or something first?

I have never had a problem after letting hot water flow over the cup or holder for a few seconds. 

#8 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM

I run a little warm water over the outside for a minute.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 15 Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM

sound yummy thanks

www.joyfulparents.co.ukjoy.gifSimple, Fun, Creative ways to put the Joy back into parenting

#10 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM

My mom used to give us frozen pureed vegetables.  I didn't know that popsicles were "supposed" to have sugary/fruity flavor until I had one when I was 6 at a friend's house!  You could also mix fruit with vegetables.  And I bet you could get a good bit of steamed spinach into a fruit popsicle before it would change the flavor.  When DS1 was little, his "ice cream" was frozen peas, corn, etc. in a cone.  The weird things we do to get healthy food into our children...

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#11 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 05:43 PM

We made some last week that my children loved.  Strawberries, banana, coconut milk, and a little vanilla yogurt.  Like pp's, we run a warm water over the molds to release the popsicles.

As caedenmomma mentions,we have added tomatoes to the mix when we make smoothies and they taste the same but I've never frozen them with vegetables in the mix.

I met someone from Brazil the other day who told me she grew up eating smashed avocado with a little milk and sugar.  I was thinking of trying her mixture (maybe agave or honey instead of sugar and coconut milk instead of regular milk) and freeze them as popsicles.  My children love avocados but normally eat them in something spicy - I thought the sweet recipe sounded good.

#12 of 15 Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

I used to add spinach and raw eggs (from our chickens) to our smoothies. Then my son started insisting I not add them. I wish I could figure a way to sneak some veggies into our popsicles, but I just don't see him letting me do it. I love the idea of coconut milk. That I could probably get away with.

We made strawberry, strawberry-banana, and plain banana (all with unfiltered peach juice to make it easier to blend.) The plain banana were only marginally liked, but the rest were gobbled up in a couple days. We also froze some of our breakfast smoothie and those went quickly.

We're out of town overnight, but we'll make more in the next day or two.

#13 of 15 Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 PM

I have a mini-popsicle maker for my LO and I just want to add that you can also make it with silken tofu for a creamy popsicle and it comes out really well. Also a great way to add in veggies is to add a few into the fruit puree.

#14 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM

We just made some pureed popsicles with an over-ripe honeydew melon and cucumber.  Instead of adding water, I added a bit of hibiscus petal tea.  It gave a little tartness to the really sweet melon and a little kick of vitamin C!

We made little popsicles using ice cube trays and stuck toothpicks in each popsicle after they'd set up a little but before they were frozen hard.  Yummy!

#15 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Someone at our homeschool group suggested freezing sliced bananas. We did that this evening. They freeze fast and are yummy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page