Dairy and soy-free elimination diet for vegetarian? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm nearly to the point where I'm ready to try a dairy-free, soy-free diet to try to help my refluxing, eternally fussy 6 wo DD.  My issue is that I'm also vegetarian so ALL of my meals either center around dairy or soy.

Ideas for recipes or where to look for them?

Thanks. eyesroll.gif

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM

I have been largely dairy free as a vegetarian for a few years now, and now doing an elimination diet, as well. Unfortunately, mine includes legumes, so I am not currently able to be veg at all :( :( :(

My suggestion is lots and lots of beans, all different kinds. Lentils are a good ground meat replacement (tacos, sloppy joes, casseroles). White beans can be mashed into milk/cream replacements (ranch dip, cheese layer in lasagna). Then, of course, burritos, burgers, soups and casseroles. I have a couple of my own recipes up on my site (thepregnantvegetarian.com), as well as my currently non-veg elimination diet recipes. But I also have meal plans from being veg and largely dairy/soy free for the past year or so for ideas and inspiration.

Good luck!

#3 of 3 Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm completely dairy-free, and while I eat soy, I have some suggestions as to meals to eat that avoid it. I'd suggest looking at Indian, Mexican and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisines. Some favorites here:

Tacos or burritos with beans and lentil-nut taco 'meat', guacamole, and fajita veggies

Cannelini beans cooked with oregano, garlic, lemon and salt as a side or mix-in to any pasta dish

Fettucini and broccoli with cashew 'alfredo' sauce

Lentil Sloppy Joes

Falafel, hummus, pitas, tabbouleh

Red lentil spinach curry with rice or quinoa

Daiya 'cheese' is completely free of dairy and soy. It is devoid of just about all nutritional value, but it tastes good, you just need to treat it like mayonnaise or margarine - a condiment, not a food group.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page