Recommendations for Cast Iron Crepe Pan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have wanted to try cast iron for awhile. I have decided to start with a crepe pan. Can't decide between these two. Anyone have an opinion/experience. (I'm also open to others in similar price range.)

http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-Pancake-Crepe-Blue-Steel/dp/B0019N4ZHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1WMW735Y5QOPT&colid=3N4B03I6ZTMNF

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L9OG3-Pre-Seasoned-2-Inch-Griddle/dp/B00008GKDN/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1SYJ10FWB3OWI&colid=3N4B03I6ZTMNF

Thanks.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first one is blue steel, which is what we have for a crepe pan (and it works very well). It's not cast iron, though (see the blue steel part). I'm not an expert on metals or whatever by any means, but we have the blue steel crepe pan and then we have a cast iron skillet and a cast iron grill pan, and there seems to be a huge difference in texture between blue steel and cast iron. The blue steel is very very smooth, whereas the cast iron has a roughness to it. I don't think we'd be able to make crepes in the cast iron skillet, at least not very well. Oh- and the cast iron is way heavier than the blue steel, which also probably impacts the crepe making process. They do have some similarities- you can't wash either of them with soap, you have to get both of them completely dry after washing with water, and similar to the seasoning process with cast iron, you have to rub a little oil into the blue steel before you put it away.
So my vote is for the first one, the blue steel. And now you've motivated me to haul mine out and make some crepes today!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a buyer steel crepe pan (so, the first one).  It is truly excellent to make crepes in - flips well, seasons well, my crepes turn out really well and I'm totally pleased with having it.  I'm not sure if you'd be able to really swirl your crepe well with a cast iron (and I dunno about whether it would affect the texture or not of the end result as pp mentioned).

If you are mainly looking for something to try out cast iron, though, I rec. getting a dutch oven or frying pan, whichever you tend to cook with most often.  I find both very useful cooking-wise. 

Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. I ordered the blue steel. I get it Saturday. First thing I'll probably make with it are more mung bean tortillas.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

User Tag List