A summertime what's for dinner thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night was sauteed chard w garlic & onion. Zuke pancakes and a tomato/white bean salsa on top. We had crackers w tofutti cream cheese and jarred grilled eggplant and basil(really disapointing!) Corn on the cob and green beans. Dessert we had tofutti vanilla icecream with granola chopped peaches and a cherry on top..kids thought that was the best thing mommys ever made lol

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM

tonight dh made dinner...perogies,edamame,and a plate of raw veggies...nothing exciting. BUT it was wonderful to just relax and not have to cook :)

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

tonight dh made dinner...perogies,edamame,and a plate of raw veggies...nothing exciting. BUT it was wonderful to just relax and not have to cook :)

My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I told DH I don't care if we have fried potatoes and a can of refried beans, I just don't want to cook. 

I made pizza for dinner tonight. Someday i will figure out what I am doing wrong. My dough never cooks all the way and the toppings burn duh.gif

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

I made pizza for dinner tonight. Someday i will figure out what I am doing wrong. My dough never cooks all the way and the toppings burn duh.gif

This used to happen to me too!  You have to bake the dough first, until it's cooked through but not brown yet.  Then, add toppings and bake another 10 minutes or so until the dough is brown and the toppings are just barely cooked and cheese (if you use it) is melted. 

I was inspired by Mommy212's description of her  "Southern dinner" to try it last night!  I made cornbread, collard greens and green beans from our CSA, baked beans (from a can redface.gif) and batter-dipped, pan-fried wild milkweed pods that I foraged at our local park.  (They taste a bit like okra, really!)  DD and DH, our local domesticated-produce snobs, refused to eat more than a bite of the milkweed, but they liked everything else. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM

tonight I made a frittata w baby carrots that needed to be used up,celery,onion, orange pepper black olives and swiss chard. Seasoned w garlic s&p. I made a huge salad w greens,tomatoes and cukes from the garden,seeds and nuts. And roasted potatoes w corriander,garlic & masala

Funny enough I thought ds would be the issue w dinner & he was until I insisted on the 1 bite rule. Then his eyes went from ewww to mmmmm. He devoured his whole piece even though he hates carrots,celery and swiss chard(didnt know any of it was in therewink1.gif). Now hes asking to have it again and thinking of all the stuff he wants to put into it next time. Dd on the other hand(my put it in front of her and shell eat anything child) had 4 pieces seemingly liking it and then just stopped saying it was icky and wouldnt touch it again...Why cant they like the same things" I mean besides veggie dogs,sweet potato fries and frozen perogies....dizzy.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

We went to my cousin's wedding last night and had crappy undercooked summer squash, potatoes swimming in butter, and pasta salad made with bottled Italian dressing. I really hope my aunt and uncle didn't pay a lot for the food. Best part, one of the rolls I got had mold on it nono.gif

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM

Dc are spending a few days w my aunt so I can rest....so its just dh & I for dinner....and dh is sleeping LOL.

Im making Mujadarrah in the slowcooker. A huge salad,steamed asparagus & sauteed zukes w tomatoes,basil and chilis

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Health Nut Burrito100_1445.JPG100_1424.JPG100_1569.JPG

These are a few images from my blog to show what I've been eating this summer! I can't believe my two year old daughter stayed still for this picture! 

Old 08-02-2011, 07:27 AM

I brushed some bread with olive oil and garlic, topped it with breaded eggplant, tomatoes cheese and herbs and put it in the oven till the cheese melted.  It was so good!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappymamma View Post

These are a few images from my blog to show what I've been eating this summer! I can't believe my two year old daughter stayed still for this picture! 

Please tell me more about the burrito and the "cheese" sauce. It looks so yummy!!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Please tell me more about the burrito and the "cheese" sauce. It looks so yummy!!

I'd like to know too. Can you post a link to your blog

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I attempted homemade Chipotle bowls tonight, cilantro lime rice, black beans, sauteed zucchini, onion and peppers topped with avocado and spicy tomatillo and corn salsa. Not too bad but too much lime in the rice. Will try it again.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM

chick peas masala with zucchini and tomato from the garden, cucumber salad on the side.

anyone know how to make a zucchini "pancake"/fritter without egg to bind it?  would like to try this, as a change from sauteed and grilled zucchini.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM

I've always used egg in my fritters, so no help there.  Could you knead up some sticky wheat-flour dough and use the gluten in the dough to hold the fritter together?  It might be a bit chewier than an egg-based cake, but I think it would work. 

Finding ways to use zucchini is always an adventure, isn't it?  I tried a new zucchini-salad recipe yesterday that turned out nice: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/summer/recipe-grilled-zucchini-and-grape-tomato-salad-093014, though I used ordinary tomatoes and broiled the zukes rather than grilling.  I'd use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan for a vegan version.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Of course! http://planthappylife.blogspot.com/ The "meat" in the burrito is made of almonds. Walnuts work even better. If they are unsalted, use soy sauce instead of liquid braggs aminos. 

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

anyone know how to make a zucchini "pancake"/fritter without egg to bind it?  would like to try this, as a change from sauteed and grilled zucchini.

How about flax eggs? Put flax seed and warm water in a blender and let it sit for a few minutes. Then whirl in the blender to create a gelatinous goo that very closely resembles eggs! 1 Tbs flax with 3 Tb water makes 1 egg.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Some of the meals we had last week were

vegan alfredo on veggie noodles w steamed broccoli and salad

gazpacho w corn, black beans and chopped tomatillos on top and corn chips to dip(froze the leftover gazpacho and Ill use it for slow cooker burrito sauce I think)

Dh grilled last night. We had zuke,mushrooms,potatoes. The kids had veggie dogs and we had masala burgers. Had a huge tossed salad w it

Old 08-07-2011, 03:21 AM

Shameless promotion. But when you make something this good you have to share! I never knew dairy free could be so good before I went vegan. The ranch dressing is made of cashews. The recipe is on my blog http://planthappylife.blogspot.com/P1000053.JPG

Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Tonight was Jamaican Rice and Pigeon Peas. Dh love rice and peas...haven't quite mastered it but I love trying. We had it w steamed broccoli(dds choice) and green beans(dss choice) w almonds onions garlic sesame oil and lemon. I made a chopped salad w radish,cherry tomatoes,green onions,carrot,shelled raw peas,red pepper and a sesame oil lime dressing. The kids actually really enjoyed the salad. Once you exclude the lettuce they eat it right up

Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM

I haven't been making very exciting things these days..I guess we've just been too busy going outside and playing!

Last night I made plain old brown rice and beans.  Though I used black beans and turned them into refried beans.  Mixed in some cheese, lime, cilantro and salsa.  I love how sometimes the simplest meal is the most delicious!

Tonight is stay at home 'romantic' date night for DH and I so we are making our favorite orzo with feta, cherry tomatoes, parsley and toasted almonds and garlic.  This is a meal that DH and I love but Ds won't touch with a 10 foot poll!  I want to make a special desert, but the jury is still out on that decision..

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Last night we had big salads and rosemary focaccia.

Today is my birthday and my only request was to not have to cook so we are going to Del Taco (generic Mexican fast food) for customer appreciation day and having 29 cent bean tacos. Yay me!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Last night we had big salads and rosemary focaccia.

Today is my birthday and my only request was to not have to cook so we are going to Del Taco (generic Mexican fast food) for customer appreciation day and having 29 cent bean tacos. Yay me!

Awe!  We have Del Taco where we are too..and it is often our fast food of choice.  I never thought they would make bean tacos though..I just assumed they had to be meat :/.  Anyway, though we do enjoy the occasionally Del Taco, I wish you were getting something fancier for your bday!!  You better get an awesome desert after that!!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM

The kids and I took dinner to a friend's house this week, and she's dairy-free for her nursling right now, so I had the fun of coming up with a good vegan dish for her that her toddler (and mine) would also eat.  I decided on polenta smothered in a veggie-bean chili -- it turned out great!  I stirred some frozen corn kernels into the polenta right at the end of cooking, which was a good idea for the toddlers' sake ("Mama, look, there's corn in here!").  The chili was a fridge-cleaner project: used up a lot of zucchini and tomatoes (which are landing at our house by the bushel lately, thanks to all our neighbors with gardens), threw in a bunch of pinto beans and carrots, added some TVP and poblano peppers, and voila!  Polenta topper.  Although I must admit that the toddlers weren't terribly interested in the chili until we covered up the zucchini with shredded cheese. :)  Guess I'm not convincing my kid to go DF anytime soon! 

offtopic.gif

I have a question -- I thought y'all might have some ideas.  I use a LOT of canned tomatoes/tomato sauce in my cooking.  It's really the only canned food I buy regularly.  I'm starting to get concerned about BPA, though.  I just buy whatever's cheapest at the store; our local discount supermarket has 28 oz. cans for $.99, which is a deal that's REALLY hard to turn down.  Are there brands (prob. more expensive ones?) that do not have BPA in their cans?  How can I tell?  And, is there something I can do to minimize the impact of the BPA in the cans, if it is indeed in there?  (I.e., buy diced tomatoes and rinse them before pureeing, rather than buying tomato puree?)  Any suggestions?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

I have a question -- I thought y'all might have some ideas.  I use a LOT of canned tomatoes/tomato sauce in my cooking.  It's really the only canned food I buy regularly.  I'm starting to get concerned about BPA, though.  I just buy whatever's cheapest at the store; our local discount supermarket has 28 oz. cans for $.99, which is a deal that's REALLY hard to turn down.  Are there brands (prob. more expensive ones?) that do not have BPA in their cans?  How can I tell?  And, is there something I can do to minimize the impact of the BPA in the cans, if it is indeed in there?  (I.e., buy diced tomatoes and rinse them before pureeing, rather than buying tomato puree?)  Any suggestions?

I buy Eden Products.  Their beans are in BPA free cans and their tomato products are in cans with 'minute - but undectable' amounts of BPA (that was their wording).  Although they now sell their tomato products in amber glass jars.

edited to add info from Eden's website:

Eden Organic Tomatoes are packed in steel cans coated with a baked on r-enamel lining. Due to the acidity of tomatoes, the lining is epoxy based and may contain a minute amount of bisphenol-A, it is however in the 'non detectable' range according to independent laboratory extraction tests. The test was based on a detection level at 5 ppb (parts per billion).

Why amber glass for food?
The driving force at Eden for amber glass tomatoes was the avoidance of bisphenol-A (BPA) in high acid food cans, and failure of the can manufacturers to make BPA free cans for tomatoes.

Light damages color and flavor by causing chemical change. Photo-oxidation (light damage) is systemic in food stores where fluorescent lighting in particular, reduces food quality. Amber glass is difficult to get and more costly, but it best protects food. Eden offers the only tomatoes in the U.S.A. packed in amber glass, protecting flavor and nutrients from light damage

I've also bought Pomi tomato products in cartons.  They are not organic.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I made my 1st vegan mac and 'cheese' last night. It was good. Next time I think I'll change it up and add peas and diced tofurkey. 

Tonight MIL is making potato enchiladas, beans, rice and probably 5 other things because she feels the need to make something different for everyone, but that is another story.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Your MIL cooks vegan?!  That's amazing!  I'm really lucky that my and DH's parents are all really supportive of our vegetarianism and always have options available for us... but going entirely vegan would be beyond their abilities, I suspect.

I was really proud of my plans for an eggplant lasagna this weekend, but then MIL stepped in with her usual overwhelming flood of food, and so the poor eggplant is still sitting in wilted, fried slices in the fridge.  D'you suppose I can still use it if it's been sitting there since Thursday?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Yesterday I cooked a pound of pinto beans, so for dinner last night I made home made refried beans, rice and put it all together for 'bean and rice' bowls with cheese and salsa.  I always love how sometimes the simplest and most humble meal can be the most delicious! 

Today I'm making seitan to turn into jerky, so I'll probably save a little for dinner.  Maybe I'll do a 'meat and potatoes' type of meal and make mashed potatoes and gravy with something green.  This is a meal everyone usually rejoices in!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Last night was roasted beets & cauliflower(ds's choice) w chickpea veggie curry and a huge salad w veg from the garden,nuts and goats milk cheese

Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

Your MIL cooks vegan?!  That's amazing!  I'm really lucky that my and DH's parents are all really supportive of our vegetarianism and always have options available for us... but going entirely vegan would be beyond their abilities, I suspect.

HA! No she doesn't really cook vegan. I don't think she has any concept of that word. She is learning I guess since DH can't have dairy anymore and is really cutting back on eggs. I still suspect she makes her rice with chicken broth once in a while but I try not to think about it since I really don't know. We still have occasional issue of 'no I won't just pick the meat out for my kids'. She tries and I should just give her credit for that I guess orngtongue.gif

Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 AM

Here are some images of what I have been eating. Recipes here! http://planthappylife.blogspot.com/ P1000243.JPG

P1000089.JPG

P1000288.JPG

User Tag List