A summertime what's for dinner thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 07-13-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am missing the inspiration of everyone talking about what they've had for dinner or are planning to have. I really need all the help I can get right now. I am very much out of ideas.

We had black bean, corn and zucchini enchiladas with green sauce topped with diced black olives, red onion, and avocado slices. The kids of course wouldn't touch it and had quesadillas instead.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#2 of 60 Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM

The last thing I really cooked was red lentil dal with brown rice and green salad. The curry does well as a freezer meal too.

Otherwise it's mostly grain-of-choice + steamed-veg-of-choice + bean-of-choice. Not very inspired... 

First baby due Oct/Nov 2011. Slowly finding my way...

#3 of 60 Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM

subbing :) needing new ideas for our vegetarian nights.... Latest thing I cooked was tuscan beans and green with cannolini beans, kale, tomatoes, etc...

#4 of 60 Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday was DH's birthday so we had homemade pizzas and lemon cake. Tonight I am planning ribz, cole slaw, corm on the cob, and watermelon. Hopefully the blueberry coconut milk ice cream that didn't freeze up yesterday too!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 60 Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Dd saw someone make tofu alfredo on a show we were watching and requested it. Ive never been an alfredo anything fan but I rigged up a pretty good sauce w tofu,almond milk, water, roasted garlic,sauteed onions,garlic;basil. Cooked it all added a heaping spoonful of better then cream cheese and lemon zest. Topped it w peas and broc. Served w salad. Both kids and dh downed it,had seconds and ate the leftovers for dinner tonight :)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 60 Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM

not sure if it's a pregnancy thing, or that we're just really low on food in the house, but I find it delicious!  I had leftover angel hair pasta, cooked it ina cast iron pan with oil, tomatoes, salt, pepper then nutritional yeast.  Thwrow it in a bowl with a big pile of kimchi on top. 

also, not sure if anyone is into the pseudo cheeses but I got a packet of the daiya pepperjack and made a quesadilla with it this last week.  Awesome!

#7 of 60 Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 PM

We had raw pizzas! Store bought sunflower crusts, cashew cheez, tomato sauce, veggies and fresh basil on top!!

We love easy dessert treats like frozen banana's blended with fruit (fresh berries are the best in it). It seriously tastes like ice cream.

#8 of 60 Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsamom View Post

We had raw pizzas! Store bought sunflower crusts, cashew cheez, tomato sauce, veggies and fresh basil on top!!

Please share the specifics. We are gluten free and just went dairy free. What crusts? Where do you get cashew cheez?

I'd like to try this and would love it if finding these ingredients was easy.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#9 of 60 Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Last night we had spanish rice (made with water and pureed leftover veggies), black beans, mango salsa and pico de gallo. My kids love these rice bowls and eat like crazy. It's so fresh for a hot day.

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#10 of 60 Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Last night we had spanish rice (made with water and pureed leftover veggies), black beans, mango salsa and pico de gallo. My kids love these rice bowls and eat like crazy. It's so fresh for a hot day.

Here's a few new recipes we have recently tried or are going to

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianbarbecuerecipes/r/grilledsweet.htm

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/dinner-recipes/penne-with-grilled-summer-squash-and-sweet-corn

http://absarokas.net/category/vegie-raw/vegetarian-recipes/salads/

http://lisaiscooking.blogspot.com/2009/07/black-bean-mango-and-jicama-salad-with.html

Almost crunchy momma to Adisyn (6), Gage (4) and Dellan (1)
#11 of 60 Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM

If we ever get some propane we'll be bbqing tonight. Potatoes/carrots/onions in a horseradish dijon sauce. Beets w oil s&p. Corn on the cob. Tossed salad w organic greens,tomato,raspberries,radishes,cuke,black beans, crushed up stale tortillas(lol) and a mango dressing. Dessert tonight is a plum,raspberry,apple crumble.  

#12 of 60 Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Mu shu veggies with tortilla wrappers and tofu instead of egg tonight.

Last night we were at the state fair, so I packed corndog cupcakes, apple sauce and baby carrots, plus we had kettle corn and cotton candy for dessert.

The night before that was capellini pomodoro, white beans with garlic, lemon and oregano and sourdough bread.

#13 of 60 Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Please share the specifics. We are gluten free and just went dairy free. What crusts? Where do you get cashew cheez?

I'd like to try this and would love it if finding these ingredients was easy.

Our favorite crusts are made by a small company called "Living Spoonful's". They are the best tasting crusts for the cheapest price. You can find them online for sure, our favorite store is called, "The Raw Food World". We also like Lydia's sunflower crusts and Mauk Family Farms raw mineral crusts (Those two brands are available to me in our local health food stores, so I tend to buy those more often).  They are also pretty easy to make, but since they are raw, you need a dehydrator.

Cashew cheez is really easy!! Here is a basic recipe that everyone in my family REALLY likes:

3 cups cashews (If you have the time, soak them in cool water for 4 hours ahead of time...makes a really smooth cheeze)

3 cloves of garlic (we LOVE garlic...so we use 6 yummy.gif)

2 tbs. lemon juice

salt to taste

Throw it all in the food processor or high speed blender and blend until smooth!

It is really easy to make variations of this recipe too!

For "nacho" cheeze (for "quesadillas" or tacos etc.) I add  3 tbs. nutritional yeast, 2 tsp. cumin and 1 jalapeno

For "italian" cheeze (for zucchini lasagna, pasta, cheeze sandwhiches etc.) I add (dried or fresh) orregano, basil and sage

You get the idea thumb.gif

AND last but not least, tonight for dinner we had brown rice with a wilted kale and chard salad, fresh tomato straight out of the garden and raw corn on the cob...all drizzled in apple cider vinegrette!

You guys are making me hungry again!! Now I am craving Mexican food! I think I am going to make the rice bowls tomorrow night...

#14 of 60 Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

Mu shu veggies with tortilla wrappers and tofu instead of egg tonight.

Recipe please!!

#15 of 60 Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

We had black bean, corn and zucchini enchiladas with green sauce topped with diced black olives, red onion, and avocado slices. The kids of course wouldn't touch it and had quesadillas instead.

These sound wonderful.  I have a bunch of fresh zucchini and never thought of adding it to enchiladas.  I have all the ingredients you listed.  How do you make your green sauce?

#16 of 60 Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM

It was half a head of green cabbage, half an onion and a chunk of purple cabbage shredded with the food processor, a bag of broccoli coleslaw, tofu drained and crumbled. I tossed the tofu in the wok with a teaspoon of sesame oil, browned it a little, then added the broccoli slaw, cooked it until it started to soften, added a teaspoon of hot pepper oil, a big dollop of jarred minced ginger, a few cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of hoisin sauce. Then I added the cabbage and onion and stir fried it until the cabbage was soft. I served it with tortillas, chili garlic sauce and more hoisin sauce. It makes a big bunch, but it is low calorie and mostly veggies, so I'd double it to feed more than 2-3 people.

maciascl likes this.
#17 of 60 Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

These sound wonderful.  I have a bunch of fresh zucchini and never thought of adding it to enchiladas.  I have all the ingredients you listed.  How do you make your green sauce?

I used a caned sauce but it would be pretty easy to make a sauce with boiled or roasted tomatillos, chilis, onion, and garlic. Then blend it up with some cilantro, salt and lime juice.

Catnip: Thanks for the recipe. Mu Shu is one of DH & I's favorites. I've never thought to try and make it at home. It sounds pretty easy and cheap too!

#18 of 60 Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM

I ma having a whole host of health struggles that I think are food related. I'm already GF and (mostly) DF but I am beginning to think I am going to have to drop eggs, all dairy and all grains as well. And beans. I have no idea what I am going to eat anymore.

Anyways....last night I had some slightly cooked spinach, roasted beets and a little bit of goat cheese on top. It was tasty, and the goat cheese made me sneeze and made my nose run, lol!

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#19 of 60 Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Boring salads for us tonight. I am also making my black bean taco rice for a friend that just had a baby. We would have had that too but the boys won't touch it.

#20 of 60 Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 PM

tonight was my southern food craving... we had slow-cooked green beans, sauteed summer squash and corn bread... yummy!

#21 of 60 Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 AM

Last night was veggie pie: whole-wheat pie crust filled with sauteed veggies, topped with 3 beaten eggs and lots of grated cheese, served with salads.  (Even my 2-year-old declared, "Yummy, Mommy!"  It was a major coup for me.)  I used the leftovers from making the pie crust to make a miniature tart crust, into which I melted some dark chocolate and let it harden, then filled with whipped cream and topped with berries.  Thank heaven for long-nap days! :)

Tonight is tabouli, hummus and pita, and crockpot lentils.  It's way too hot to cook! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#22 of 60 Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM

2 nights ago we had an egg noodle pasta salad. Had chopped tomatoes,grated carrot,edamame,peas,corn,radish,swiss chard,string beans and basil from the garden w lemon and grapeseed oil...nothing exciting but really yummy

Last night was frozen perogies sauteed w onion,tomatoes,chickpeas with avocado slices.

Such a heat way none of us wants to actually eat let alone prepare anything

#23 of 60 Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

There is always such wonderful meals posted on these threads. It always makes me wonder, what do your kids eat? Do you kids eat these wonderful meals too?

#24 of 60 Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post

There is always such wonderful meals posted on these threads. It always makes me wonder, what do your kids eat? Do you kids eat these wonderful meals too?

My kiddo's favorite dinners are:

Pasta pomodoro or marinara

White bean soup

Tomato soup

Tacos

Polka dot rice

Green spaghetti (vegan cashew pesto with tofu ricotta)

Breaded eggplant cutlets

Vegan chicken nuggets or hot dogs

Tofu fish sticks or chicken strips

Macaroni and Daiya

Daiya quesadillas

Sometimes she will eat stir fry, lentil loaf and baked potatos, or broccoli soup.

A plain bean or cold tofu, plain veggie with salt and olive oil, and rice, quinoa or ww pasta will also usually pass muster.

She will NOT eat curries, chili, veggie burgers, fajita veggies, most sauces, french fries (unless they are sweet potato fries), or lentils.

If I want something fancy for me, I'll usually isolate out some ingredients during prep- like saving steamed sweet potatoes and black beans out before making enchiladas and serve those to her plain.

And we use a lot of tabasco sauce and crushed red pepper around here.

#25 of 60 Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Last night we had raw lasagna, and tonight we had raw hummus wraps (sprouted raw hummus on romaine with cucumbers, shredded carrot, shredded beets and spinach)! Dessert tonight was a raw cashew cookie topped with strawberry/banana "frosting".

#26 of 60 Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

She will NOT eat curries, chili, veggie burgers, fajita veggies, most sauces, french fries (unless they are sweet potato fries), or lentils.

Your post made me laugh 'cause my toddler loves ALL these things, but won't eat a good half of the things on your LO's "favorites" list.  Just goes to show you that all kids' tastes are different!  :)

My DD's favorites are:

- pasta in marinara sauce (especially ravioli)

- baked tofu in curries or stews (Usually accompanied by several requests for "more tossu, peez, Mama") 

- lasagna

- vegetable soup of any kind (oh, except tomato, she won't touch that)

- fried things, especially potato and corn things like chips or french fries or hush puppies

- Spanish rice or pullao

- fruit in any form

- savory pies

- casseroles

- veggie burgers (and other vegetarian meat substitutes; she loves 'em)

- chili

- pizza

She will tolerate stir-fries (with lots of tofu and rice) and things in alfredo sauce (as long as it's piled high with Parmesan). 

Things she won't touch:

- quesadillas

- sandwiches

- lettuce

- anything with fresh tomatoes

- most salads (pasta salad, tabouli, etc.)

- anything with mayo (potato salad, coleslaw, etc)

- chalupas/tacos

I've learned, like the PP, how to pull things she'll eat out of a preparation of something she won't.  I'll leave some bulgur wheat and cucumbers out before I mix the tabouli, for example.  It's important to me that she learns to like more things, though, so I always include at least a taste of something I know she doesn't like, and encourage her to try it again.  Took us a year and a half of trying, but we finally got the kid to eat (and enjoy) hummus.  Woo hoo! 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#27 of 60 Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM

We were away for the weekend for my bff's wedding. So A LOT of take-out was eaten....sadly

Fri nite dh and I went out for a nice date nite. We shared a veg antipesto plate. Had wonderful local cheese(we normally dont do dairy at all),homemade flatbread,peppers,asparagus,tomatoes,onions ect ect. All locally grown. We also had a small pesto pizza....good but not as great as the antipesto

Sat at the wedding the meal was amazing. Tapas of hummus, salsa,capanata,veggies,crackers,cheese,fruit. Then we had a cold potato and leek soup. A salad of boccacini,tomato and greens. the main course was a portabello mushroom stuffed w lentils, mashed potatoes, grilled zukes and peppers. Dessert was chocolate mousse w raspberries....then they had 4 types of wedding cake. It was wonderful knowing the head chef actually KNEW vegetarian food. He approached us at the beginning of our meal to assure us our cheese was rennet free and the mousse geletan free...are you kidding me? Usually Im use to a half frozen shit veg lazagna ;) All local produce as well. Wonderful meal

Sun we went to a small indian restaurant on the way home....wasnt the greatest though. We also stocked up on fruit and veg while we were there. I got 11kgs of grade b peaches for $5.00. 

Last night dh made me a wonderful bday dinner. Grilled asparagus,eggplant;portabello,peppers,zukes. An amazing edamame salad w radish,peppers,tomatoes,red onion and a sesame lime dressing. He spoiled me rotten with all of my fave in season foods :)

all the excitement of the weekends caused some early labour symptoms so the midwives have me doing as little as possible to stop the contractions. So tonight is breakfast for dinner. Dh is working so its just the kids Im cooking for. Going to use up some peaches and make peach hempseed pancakes w raspberries from the garden on the side.

#28 of 60 Old 07-27-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

all the excitement of the weekends caused some early labour symptoms so the midwives have me doing as little as possible to stop the contractions. So tonight is breakfast for dinner. Dh is working so its just the kids Im cooking for. Going to use up some peaches and make peach hempseed pancakes w raspberries from the garden on the side.

Peach hempseed pancakes with fresh raspberries is your definition of  "doing as little as possible"?!?!  Boy oh boy, you are totally supermom!!!

Breakfast for dinner sure does sound good, though. :)

Our next-door neighbor gave us a bunch of cilantro out of his garden, so I made a huge batch of food-processor fresh salsa with it -- it was searingly spicy, I overdid it on the jalapeños, but wow, was it good!!!  Mixed a bit with an avocado and yogurt to make guacamole, and served it with veggie burritos: refried beans, cheese, onion, red pepper, green pepper, corn & potato on ww tortillas.  Yum!

#29 of 60 Old 07-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

Peach hempseed pancakes with fresh raspberries is your definition of  "doing as little as possible"?!?!  Boy oh boy, you are totally supermom!!!

Breakfast for dinner sure does sound good, though. :)

Yeah I def over do it...dh was not impressed when he got home and realized what I had done...he was even more upset when we realized dd had stolen his dinner plate off the counter and eaten all his pancakes

Tonight is a quick pasta. Chopped up some cukes,tomatoes,red onion,black olives,peppers,radish,basil and swiss chard while the noodles were cooking...then threw it together w navy beans;lemon & grapeseed oil. 

#30 of 60 Old 07-28-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Last night we had BLT's and watermelon. I have given up and have stopped feeling guilty for having so many quick, simple, and not super healthy dinners.

Tonight was out Thursday usual, spagetti.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page