Tell me about your grocery budget! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well. My life has changed a lot. I use to be a Vegetarian that ate no milk (Cream Allergy & Milk Intolerance) eating on a budget of 50.00 dollars a week. Ate no meat because it makes me sick. Most of my budget spent on vegetables. I dislike fruit.. too sweet. Except fruit shakes. :) Now I am not on Vegetarian Status because I have found out if I have one or two meals with meat in them I won't feel sick.  Although I really don't mind not having ANY meat whatsoever in my diet... Anyways. My bf eats a meat diet but has not eaten so much since I've lived with him. The occasional chicken meal. Our budget is a whopping $130. But we have three adorable bunnies and a puppy to feed as well each week. 30$ is spend on bfs lunches since he work 14 hours a day 4 times a week. Veggie Noodles, Miso Soup, Rice, and Frozen Veggies are our main staples that I have in the house. Dinners are mainly these: We switch them from time to time so it doesn't get boring. Spagetti night - we make any type of Pasta we want & throw veggies & pasta sauce together. If you have a plan. When you shop its easier to lower your budget.

Our Plan for this weeks groceries:
DINner menu:

Monday - Perogies / Sandwhiches / SOUP

Tuesday - Spagetti Night :) Italian dinner night. & Steamed veggies
Wednesday - Chicken Meal / Tofu night. & Salad

Thursday - Sushi night / Japanese food night.
Friday - Perogies / Sandwhiches / SOUP

Johns lunches/ breakfast: 10 peeled boiled eggs, 4 brisk drinks, 4  lasagna/spagetti microwaveable dinners, 8 Yogurts, 4 chew bars.
(EXPENSIVE) - this is throughout 4 days though :)

Angels Lunches: 2 Noodle packs, Puffed Tofu, 2 bagels, 2 tblsp of PB, 6 eggs, Peppermint Tea, veggies, 4 Coke zero's

(Verry cheap) :) - 4 days

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We eat mostly vegetarian at home. We spent $400 for 2 adults and a 2,3 and 4 yr old. Plus we use about $150/mo in WIC benefits, so that would be about $550/month. We can afford hardly anything organic, but we are in expensive Southern California. When I was buying organic we spent that on just DH and I. I also found I spent more on my vegan stint than lacto-ovo vegetarian, as lots of  nuts, etc are more expensive than even organic dairy. Not making an argument for or against, just doing a cost comparison here.

I use to think that was a lot, but even food stamps in CA would give a family our size around $700. The USDA "Thriftiest" eating budget is just under $700 for a family our size. And that is averaged across the US, combining high cost of living areas like CA and NY with low cost of living areas like the mid west. I told DH I can't imagine what people eat to eat that much money, since we spent less than that even eating TF.

So all that to say, I guess our food budget is fine. I go back and forth wishing I could afford a lot of organic and esoteric ingredients but the average working family just cannot afford it any more.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#33 of 35 Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

SundayCrepes, you might want to try the following recipe for Lara bars if you can locate a good source of almonds and dates. We have ethnic stores nearby that carry them much more cheaply than other grocery stores:

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/02/home-made-lara-bars-energy-bars-part-3.html

I have made apricot, cherry-chocolate chip and apple pie versions with success.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#34 of 35 Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

SundayCrepes, you might want to try the following recipe for Lara bars if you can locate a good source of almonds and dates. We have ethnic stores nearby that carry them much more cheaply than other grocery stores:

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/02/home-made-lara-bars-energy-bars-part-3.html

I have made apricot, cherry-chocolate chip and apple pie versions with success.

Thanks. How well do they last? I like the packaged Lara Bars because I can carry them in my purse for a quick snack for the kids. However, I could make some for home use to save money.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#35 of 35 Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

When I have made them, I wrap them in plastic wrap & store in the fridge - pull out for lunches or whatever. If you don't want to use plastic, I bet waxed paper would work.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page