What's for dinner in September 2011 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMOmmyOf2 View Post

Your BBQ Seitan sounds delish! Do you make the Seitan yourself?

I take the lazy way out and buy my seitan prepared - some day I will attempt making it...when I dont have a one month old and 4 yr old occupying every waking moment :)

#32 of 53 Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I take the lazy way out and buy my seitan prepared - some day I will attempt making it...when I dont have a one month old and 4 yr old occupying every waking moment :)

Nothing to be ashamed of!winky.gif I'm just asking because every home made Seitan I've made just doesn't taste right and the texture is just.. wrong!.. So I was hoping you might tell me your 'secret'! lol

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#33 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM

I've been trying a little experiment lately with meal planning.  I've been planning 3-4 meals for the week and then the other 3 nights I've been digging through cupboards, freezer and pantry looking for stuff stashed in there that I've forgotten about or not sure what to do with it.  It's been helping me create simple, cheaper and from scratch meals.  I just came into the kitchen 10 minutes ago wondering what I was going to make for dinner tonight, wondering if I should get dh to go to the store on the way home from work.  But after a little snooping around I found some gravy in the freezer, some potatoes and beets in the pantry and all the ingredients to make chickpea cutlets.  So, now a night where we might have had pancakes for dinner (not that there's anything worng with some yummy pancakes), we'll be having a nice autumn dinner of cutlets with gravy, mashed potatoes and roasted beets.  If I get it together in time I might try to whip up an apple crisp for dessert.  It will make up for last nights dinner of nachos and raw veggies smile.gif.  I have no idea what the rest of the week is going to be like though so hopefully someone else will post their menus!

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#34 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM

i used this recipe:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dipsandsauces/r/tahinisauce.htm

but ive made it before using a different recipe that added some spiciness to it. wish i could find it b/c it was so good!

oh and this week so far we've had polenta pinto bean casserole and tonight we had "creamy" tomato soup with grilled daiya cheese sandwiches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckington View Post

How do you do the tahini sauce?

Reading everyone's plans is inspiring me! We have been in such a rut lately, but dh is off for the next three weeks so it'll give me time to try some new recipes and stock the freezer! Yay!

#35 of 53 Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Sunday: Wine and Cheese party for a friend's bday..so lots of cheese and fruit and crackers..

Monday: Cheesy broccoli soup with sour dough bread and a spinach salad

Tuesday: Chik'n and rice soup (been sick, so soups on the brain :)

Wednesday: Dinner at the in-laws; baked potatoes, salad and probably veggie burgers or something..

Thursday:  Cauliflower and potato Indian deliciousness (DH's cooking contribution for the week)

Friday: Crock pot spicy and sweet chilli with corn bread

Saturday: Undecided; Maybe home made pizza or pesto pasta or something else of the Italian nature.

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#36 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Wednesday: peanut noodles

Thursday: fried potatoes with tempeh bacon and applesauce

Friday: goulash made with burger crumbles

Saturday: pizza

flowersforyou.gif

#37 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM

How did I miss this thread? This is exactly what I need to inspire me to be more creative!

Saturday was cabbage-beet-carrot salad with ginger dressing & sunflower seeds and black bean burgers
Sunday was gluten-free "mac & cheeze" with broccoli
Monday we had palak tofu (tofu & spinach) and sweet potato/zucchini pakora pancakes... they came out too sweet so I'll have to nix the potatoes next time...
Tuesday was roasted veggies (incl. summer squash, eggplant, carrots) and quinoa

No idea for tonight... FitMommyof2, I also have a head of cauliflower I need to use up...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#38 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM

I usually curry cauliflower - same recipe I use for curried pumpkin or squash, just cauliflower instead - red lentils, coconut milk, spinach, onions, raisins, spices. Let me know if you want the recipe.

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.
#39 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post

Sunday: Wine and Cheese party for a friend's bday..so lots of cheese and fruit and crackers..

Monday: Cheesy broccoli soup with sour dough bread and a spinach salad

Tuesday: Chik'n and rice soup (been sick, so soups on the brain :)

Wednesday: Dinner at the in-laws; baked potatoes, salad and probably veggie burgers or something..

Thursday:  Cauliflower and potato Indian deliciousness (DH's cooking contribution for the week)

Friday: Crock pot spicy and sweet chilli with corn bread

Saturday: Undecided; Maybe home made pizza or pesto pasta or something else of the Italian nature.

what goes into the chili to make it spicy and sweet?  that sounds GOOD!!!

Also, any veggie butternut squash soup recipes out there?

#40 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

I usually curry cauliflower - same recipe I use for curried pumpkin or squash, just cauliflower instead - red lentils, coconut milk, spinach, onions, raisins, spices. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Yes please!!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#41 of 53 Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

Wednesday: peanut noodles

Thursday: fried potatoes with tempeh bacon and applesauce

Friday: goulash made with burger crumbles

Saturday: pizza

How do you make the goulash, Attila? I'm interested! wink1.gif

Quote:

Yes, please! eat.gif 

I came too late for my cauliflower.. it had all brown parts in the stems and looked rotten inside so I tossed it..*sigh*

Now I have 4 ginormous eggplants that I got from the market yesterday, now I need to think what to make with it. I use it for tomato sauce with eggplant sometimes (here in Sicily it's called 'Pasta Norma' -with pasta, of course lol) but I don't want to 'waste' those beautiful things just for sauce..

Any ideas? I'll have to dig out my 'Vegan Italiano' by Donna Klein, she should have something with eggplant..

#42 of 53 Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

what goes into the chili to make it spicy and sweet?  that sounds GOOD!!!

Also, any veggie butternut squash soup recipes out there? 

it's kind of a combo of a little vinegar or ketchup with hot sauce and brown sugar or maple syrup.  It's YUM!

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.

#43 of 53 Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM

http://catnip13.blogspot.com/2010/11/pumpkin-curry.html

Swap in cauliflower for the pumpkin. I usually just put in as much as I can fit in the pot.

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.
#44 of 53 Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM

It supposed to start getting cool and fall-y next week! I'm so excited! Now I'm thinking things like:

Butternut squash baked penne with carmelized onion and sage breadcrumbs

Black bean and butternut squash chili

Tempeh shepherd's pie

Black bean sweet potato enchilada casserole

Broccoli soup and drop biscuits

White bean soup and bread

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.
#45 of 53 Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks gator-mom! I'll have to keep this concoction in mind!

Catnip,

thanks for the link! Too funny, my cauliflower curry w/chickpeas is actually quite similar to yours, but I've never had it with pumpkin and red lentils! I'll have to try it next time when I can get my hands on a cheap(er) pumpkin. The last ones on base at the commissary were 5$ and up for a medium sized one..dizzy.gif

PS: I came across a site with several squash recipes. I assume you guys in the US have it easier (and cheaper) now getting good squash? 

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/09/29/10-squash-recipes-to-fall-for/?pid=4028#slideshow

#46 of 53 Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM

wow thanks for the yummy-looking recipes guys!!

#47 of 53 Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:

http://catnip13.blogspot.com/2010/11/pumpkin-curry.html

Swap in cauliflower for the pumpkin. I usually just put in as much as I can fit in the pot.

Made this tonight with butternut squash and it was a huge hit! Thanks for the recipe! :)

#48 of 53 Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, girls, I was totally slacking with posting this week's meal plan.. I winged it mostly due to a full freezer and planning around using those ingredients I have on hand..

So far we had curried Butternut Squash Soup on Monday and yesterday pasta w/sauce for the family, I had vegan mac 'n cheese from fatfreevegan.com . [ I'm still looking for *the* perfect mac 'n cheese recipe.. I have a few more to try and hopefully I'll find one I really love.. FFV's yesterday was ok but since I've made it in advance, it soaked up all the sauce so it was dry like heck..]

For lunch with plenty of leftovers I've made a Pasta Salad with 'mock feta' which turned out nice. 

Today I'm planning on making the Gypsy soup that has been mentioned somewhere here, it's Mollie Katzen's recipe, I believe?

Not sure what to make the rest of the week.. DH brought 2 big stalks of broccoli from the market as well as 2 huge eggplants.. After having made fried eggplant cutlets last week as well as baba ghanoush (sp?) I might make the cutlets again from one of the eggplants and use the other one for my 'Norma tomato sauce'.

#49 of 53 Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Tonight we had a lazy dinner of ravioli, butternut for DH and I, cheese for the boys.

In the last few days we've had:

lemony cashew basil pesto spaghetti

tempeh and rice skillet

bean tacos

cashew ginger tofu with rice and "clean out the fridge" veggie stirfry. 

Tomorrow will likely be squash and veggie soup.

So far for the week I am also planning:

lentil loaf with sauteed mushrooms and onions, gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans

spaghetti and 'sausage'

white bean pasta

cauliflower and chickpea curry

some sort of tofu and broccoli stirfry over rice

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#50 of 53 Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 AM

We made chili this weekend, and tempeh shepherd's pie with squash and brussels sprouts roasted with apples and onions. we had soup and bread, and tonight I'm intending the last of the garden tomatoes in pasta pomodoro tonight.

#51 of 53 Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Made stir fry tonight with Japanese eggplant, carrots, mushrooms and tofu.  And tomorrow I'm going to probably make eggplant parmesan (we got a lot of eggplant in last weeks CSA).

#52 of 53 Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Two days ago was homemade pizza.  Yesterday was a simple vegetable soy-maple stirfry over basmati rice.

Today is rainy and cool so I'm making some potato leek soup for dinner that we'll serve with leftover pumpkin pull apart rolls that I made yesterday.  I might make a lentil and wild rice salad as well.

The rest of the week and weekend is up in the air still.   

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#53 of 53 Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Yesterday, after reading about the Goulash that someone made I had a real craving for it.  So I made it and it turned out awesome.  It was

so easy and super quick.  My mom used to make the non veg version when were kids so she gave me the recipe.  Sautee lots of onions and

garlic.  My mom said that she uses the same ratio of onion to meat.  Anyways, so after sauteeing the onions and garlic I added lots of

hungarian paprika.  Next time I will add even more.  Sautee a little but make sure it does not burn.  Then add some tomato sauce and water

to thin it out like a stew.  Let simmer.

She said to add some dried herbs like Italian seasonings or dried basil.  I added dried basil but next time will do the other.  Then I sauteed Gardein Beef Tips

for a few minutes as the directions say on the pkg.  Then I added this to the sauce.  Served with boiled poatoes and some salad.  I also added some hot

chili peppers. It was delicous!!  Had leftovers tonight.  Next time I will add more paprika.  I'm sure it would be great with crumbles too. 

It took me all of 20 minutes to put together. Thanks to the previous post for giving me the idea. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page