what do you like with beets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

have some left and running out of ideas....

#2 of 16 Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I haven't tried it yet, it was on the menu for tonight but we got home late. Tomato free marinara. There are several versions, most have beets and either carrots or sweet potatoes. Here's one recipe: http://glutenfreedairyfreenj.blogspot.com/2011/07/tomato-free-pasta-sauce-recipe-gluten.html

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 16 Old 09-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

roasted in the oven with garlic, balsamic and olive oil.  I cut them up  into 2 inch cubes and roast until tender (several hours).  They are so  darn  good.

I also love them peeled and boiled and put on salad (with blue cheese if you do dairy)

Beets are so good.   You have me craving them now!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 16 Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post

roasted in the oven with garlic, balsamic and olive oil.  I cut them up  into 2 inch cubes and roast until tender (several hours).  They are so  darn  good.

I also love them peeled and boiled and put on salad (with blue cheese if you do dairy)

Beets are so good.   You have me craving them now!

that sounds delic!!!!!  What would you serve them with....

#5 of 16 Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Big bowl of brown rice, with grated raw beets (red and orange), grated raw carrot, raw baby spinach leaves, a sprinkle of almond slices, some extra firm tofu cubes and your dressing of choice.  I like a Thai peanut dressing, but a tahini dressing is very nice too.

You can also wrap this up in a tortilla for something a little more portable if you want lunch to go.  

#6 of 16 Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM

#7 of 16 Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

yum - thank you!!!

#8 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 AM

When I have leftover beets I make quick pickled beets and put them in the fridge for later. These aren't processed in any way and the recipe is totally flexible depending on the quantity you are dealing with:

Take a jar with a tight-fitting lid, preferably a wide-mouth jar, rinse it with hot water and set aside. (Canning jars are of course perfect but frankly I often use clean peanut butter or jelly jars, depending on the quantity of beets I have.) Boil or bake your beets and slip the skins, if they're not cooked already. Slice into rounds about 1/4" thick. Take a small onion and slice thinly into rings. How much onion again depends on your quantity of beets, but figure one part onion to four parts beets, so if I have 4 beets, one small onion will do. Scatter a few onion rings on the bottom of your jar (whether you do one solid onion round or scatter a few rings depends entirely on how much you like onions), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then drop in a few beet rounds. Repeat these layers, always adding a bit of s + p to the onion layer, until you get to the top of the jar. Carefully pour in a neutral-tasting oil (I use canola) to about the 2/3 mark, then add red wine or cider vinegar to cover the top layer of beets. (You can use whatever kind of vinegar you like, obviously, but I find white vinegar a bit harsh here.) Take a chopstick or table knife and carefully push down around the inside edge of the jar to release any air bubbles, then screw the lid on tightly. Shake gently to blend flavors, then stick in the back of your fridge. (I often put the jar in upside down, knowing the vinegar and oil will separate.)

IME these will keep about a month, and though you can eat them at any time, I find the flavor is best after a couple of weeks when they are well-marinated. If you think of it, turn the jar every now and then so all the layers get to soak in the vinegar at some point. (The vinegar will break down the acids in the raw onions making them nice and floppy and removing their "bite")

These make an instant side dish some night when you are running short of time and/or ideas. They are a perfect companion for  something heavy, rich or creamy (e.g.tofu salad, a creamy soup, a frittata with cheese, whatever), and are also terrific chopped and tossed into a green salad. I've even been known to eat them straight out of the jar with peasant bread.

#9 of 16 Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM

We've had a ton of beets in our CSA share this year, and our favorite way to eat them has been roasted, then sliced thin and sprinkled with roasted pistachios and (if you eat it) crumbled feta cheese. We then top everything with a simple citrus vinaigrette. Delicious! 

#10 of 16 Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM

This is my fave beet recipe!

Garlic Beet Soup (I don't really follow a recipe, I make it to taste, but I would say...)

- 4-5 med beets

- med onion chopped

-2-3 garlic cloves which I chop up and saute in olive oil for a few minutes

- 2 celery stalks

- 4-5 cups of broth or enough to cover the veggies

-1 tsp ginger

-salt and pepper to taste

-olive oil

-yogurt or sour cream for garnish and/or a fresh green herb ( I like parsley)

1. Wash beets and steam for 40 about mins (or until tender). Run cold water over beets until they are cool. The skin should peel off fairly easily. Cut into 1in x 1in cubes

2. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over med heat in a large pot. Add onion, saute for a few minutes, add garlic. Add beets, celery, and any other veggies you wish to throw in. Saute for a few minutes, then add the broth (enough to cover everything).

3. Let simmer over med-high heat for 15-20 mins. Add salt, pepper and ginger to taste.

4. Remove pot from heat and use a hand blender (or stand up) to blend all contents into a thick, rich soup.

5. Serve hot or chilled with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and a sprig of parsley.

#11 of 16 Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM

This is so good. I make it all the time.  It is really easy with the precooked beets from Trader  Joes.

www.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/health/nutrition/27recipehealth.html

#12 of 16 Old 10-30-2011, 02:15 PM

I nearly always roast them, either alone or with other root vegetables.  Sweet potatoes are also good to roast with beets;  cut the beets a little smaller than the sweets, since the beets take longer, or just put the beets in earlier.  Sometimes I add garlic cloves to any roasted vegetable dish, including this one.  I second the suggestion of boiling and slicing for salad, as well.  I just put them in a massaged kale salad.

I want to try that soup recipe that familycastle posted!

#13 of 16 Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am going to try this recipe (minus the fennel because I don't have any) this week - sounds good:

http://www.mollysmenu.us/?p=875

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#14 of 16 Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM

I mostly put them in salads as PP mentioned, roasted, grated raw or I buy the precooked ones fron Trader Joe's. I haven't had them in forever but the fall has me craving them so I just bought some and really need to eat them now. If you are an ovo-vegetarian I love a Russian style salad which dices all the following: beets, boiled eggs, cucumber, celery, carrots, green onion and stir in some cooked peas and Vegenaise. Nom nom. 

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#15 of 16 Old 10-31-2011, 03:17 PM

LOVE the purple velvet cake at elana's pantry blog....I hate beets in their natural form...but add chocolate and yum!

Going off that idea, I made some 'purple' pancakes too! They were a hit with maple syrup. I just added pureed beet to regular pancake mix (like you might for banana or applesauce pancakes) and a Tbs of cocoa and a little vanilla....they were good!

#16 of 16 Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post

I mostly put them in salads as PP mentioned, roasted, grated raw or I buy the precooked ones fron Trader Joe's. I haven't had them in forever but the fall has me craving them so I just bought some and really need to eat them now. If you are an ovo-vegetarian I love a Russian style salad which dices all the following: beets, boiled eggs, cucumber, celery, carrots, green onion and stir in some cooked peas and Vegenaise. Nom nom. 

Love that Russian salad, too. You can also add potatoes. I think it's called Vinaigret.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page