Need vegan snack ideas for dd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Our family is new to veganism. We have converted for health reasons. I am looking for healthy ideas for snacks for school for dd that are nut free. We stock up on these, some of them are not the healthiest. Fruit thins, organic pop corn, organic corn chips (fried, I'm guessing), carrot sticks, dates, raisins, dried figs, cereal bars, rice crackers (white rice), whole grain crackers, fruit like mandarins, melons. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

TiA. 

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 13 Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids like:

roasted chickpeas

chummos (or other bean dip) & veggies

sweet potato or regular potato fries (baked)

soups (tomato w/ rice, orange, veg, lentil, etc)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Our family is new to veganism. We have converted for health reasons. I am looking for healthy ideas for snacks for school for dd that are nut free. We stock up on these, some of them are not the healthiest. Fruit thins, organic pop corn, organic corn chips (fried, I'm guessing), carrot sticks, dates, raisins, dried figs, cereal bars, rice crackers (white rice), whole grain crackers, fruit like mandarins, melons. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

TiA. 

black bean brownies are fairly healthy as desserts/snacks go:

http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/
#4 of 13 Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Love the recipe. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josamen View Post

black bean brownies are fairly healthy as desserts/snacks go:
http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#5 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

We are new to veganism too, also for health reasons!

My dd really likes hummus.  For a portable snack, put some in a container to go with her veggies.  We will also use the hummus on whole wheat pita chips (baked in our oven).  

I didn't see applesauce mentioned.  My kids love applesauce.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 11:28 AM

The stable things that I keep in my backpack for emergencies are little containers of sunflower seeds and raisins, dried apricots, roasted almonds (I bought one of the plastic flip top jars that Blue Diamond makes a few years ago that holds 8 ounces, and then I refill it), Luna Bars, fruit leather and raisins. I also toss whole apples and a little container of nutbutter in there, those will keep for a week or so.
When I'm planning to be gone, I'll pack flaxseed or peanut butter mini muffins, veggies, crackers and hummus and the ubiquitous PBJ.

Ah. Missed nut-free. Have you tried sunflower seed butter? It tastes VERY much like peanut butter.
#7 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

My dd really likes hummus.  For a portable snack, put some in a container to go with her veggies.  We will also use the hummus on whole wheat pita chips (baked in our oven).  

Amy

yeah.....applesauce is great stuff...I loved it even as a baby.....orngbiggrin.gif

hummus is good stuff too.....great way to eat veggies....roasted garlic is especially good....yum!
#8 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 PM

The kids Clif bars are vegan, though I'm not sure if they are nut free. We buy them in bulk at Costco. 

My kids love dates as a snack. Also beans and tortillas.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#9 of 13 Old 10-06-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

She has tried humus but doesn't like it. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Amy

#10 of 13 Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

where do you buy the dried apricot? they all seem to have some chemical in them Potassium... something. Have to try the sunflower seed butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

The stable things that I keep in my backpack for emergencies are little containers of sunflower seeds and raisins, dried apricots, roasted almonds (I bought one of the plastic flip top jars that Blue Diamond makes a few years ago that holds 8 ounces, and then I refill it), Luna Bars, fruit leather and raisins. I also toss whole apples and a little container of nutbutter in there, those will keep for a week or so.
When I'm planning to be gone, I'll pack flaxseed or peanut butter mini muffins, veggies, crackers and hummus and the ubiquitous PBJ.
Ah. Missed nut-free. Have you tried sunflower seed butter? It tastes VERY much like peanut butter.

#11 of 13 Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

She has tried humus but doesn't like it. :( 

If you like it, then experiment.  She can sample a bit if she wants.  Hummus comes in so many variations (if you buy it) and endless possibilities if you make it.  I like one brand, my dd likes another, but we are experimenting with home made.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 13 Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 AM

I second trying variations of hummus. You can make it with all different types of beans and seasonings.

Tofu nuggets- bake little cubes of tofu with whatever seasonings you like and some olive oil.

Most of our snacks are fruit, we also do edamame, organic corn chips (baked), multigrain pita chips (baked), and nori. If you do popcorn with nutritional yeast as seasoning that is a good way to get in a little B12 and other B vitamins.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#13 of 13 Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Whole foods and other health food stores have unsulfured apricots, or you can dry your own. My daughter prefers the sulfured kind because they are prettier, so sometimes we just use the ones from TJs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page