vegan alternative to honey sticks for labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My midwife recommends having honey sticks for quick energy during labor.  We're vegan and don't do honey.  Does anyone have a suggestion for something vegan that would have a similar effect?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 AM

honey sticks?  do you mean graham crackers?  if so I believe they do make graham crackers that aren't sweetened with honey and in fact might not contain any sweetener at all

#3 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Would brown rice syrup work?  Or agave nectar? Or maple syrup (the REAL kind)?

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM

#5 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Frozen grapes. Wash them and let them get totally dry. If there's any water on them it will form ice crystals and they might stick together. Freeze them on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. When they're frozen put them in Ziplock brand (BPA free) freezer bags or other freezer containers.

Though I don't know if they work. I had 2 hours of wondering if I was in labor, an hour of discomfort, and an hour of pushing. We used our stash of grapes after the baby was born.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Josamen,they're not graham crackers - honey sticks are little packets of flavored honey that people eat like candy or use as sweeteners.

I ran your ideas by our doula/birth assistant and she especially liked the maple syrup idea.  So I just went out and bought some.  Thanks. everyone!

#7 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM

I've actually seen agave nectar sticks. they look the same as the honey ones, but there agave and I think they avhe different flavors?  They have them at a coop out here but they're pretty veg friendly, so not sure how common they are.  Might be on the internet otherwise..

#8 of 10 Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Why do honey sticks work?  Is it the sugar content?  I didn't need them (labor was too fast) but I got some Whole Fruit lime ice pops to have in case I needed something to suck on with sugar.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 10 Old 11-14-2011, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

I think it's the sugar content.  It seems like a pretty common recommendation for labor.  We're stocked up with maple syrup over here!

#10 of 10 Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I took two large containers of coconut water. You get your sugar and electrolytes and it tastes delicious!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page