Southern-style (slow) green bean recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family is coming for Thanksgiving, and I'd really like to recreate the ahem, "cooked to death" (in Northern parlance) green beans that they usually have along with special meals.  They usually add country ham;  others add ham hock or bacon.  I don't cook or eat any kind of meat, of course, so I'm wondering if you have a good, slow, vegan recipe to share?  If it could be soy-free (for me), that would be even better, though I am not worried about soy sauce/tamari.

Do you think it would work to just put them in the slow cooker for a long time with a little oil and vegetable broth?  If so, can you help with amounts and times?

I had a mushroom/fried onion green been casserole once that was amazing, but unfortunately, this is not the kind of green beans my family likes.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Don't have a recipe - but I'd wonder whether a combo of dried mushroom/mushroom broth, liquid smoke, and tamari might work out well.  Possibly caramelize some onions beforehand and throw those in before cooking.  

I'd just use those vegetarian-type adjustments and cook it as you normally would (were you using the traditional meat) to get it to turn out the closest to what you'd like.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea!  It sounds like I'm going to need to do a trial run before Thanksgiving.  I probably should have started this project sooner.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Bacos or one of those brands is actually a soy base/vegan.  So you can still get the bacon taste by cooking some of those in with it. 

User Tag List