How to get enough calcium without dairy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you vegans getting enough calcium without dairy? My 2 yr old ds and I are both very allergic to dairy and so we have to cut it all out. My teeth seem very prone to cavities, more than ever it seems. I want to turn that around. And I am worried that my ds doesn't get enough calcium. I just can't afford expensive calcium supplments. We do have calcium citrate powder in the house but not sure if that is a useable form.
#2 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 AM

According to Jack Norris, RD: "The calcium in kale, broccoli, collard greens, and soymilk is all absorbed relatively well." He has a whole post on Bones, Vitamin D and Calcium, and at the end are his tips for calcium intake: http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#catips

I hope this helps!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#3 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM

As far as supplements, calcium citrate is the most absorbable kind. My husband has hypocalceimia (from a failed parathyroid surgery) and when he was symptomatic with super high doses of the cheaper calcium carbonate supplements, his endocrinologists switched him over to calcium citrate, and it made a big difference.

#4 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post

According to Jack Norris, RD: "The calcium in kale, broccoli, collard greens, and soymilk is all absorbed relatively well." He has a whole post on Bones, Vitamin D and Calcium, and at the end are his tips for calcium intake: http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#catips

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the info and link. For some reason it is not opening at all, but I will keep trying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

As far as supplements, calcium citrate is the most absorbable kind. My husband has hypocalceimia (from a failed parathyroid surgery) and when he was symptomatic with super high doses of the cheaper calcium carbonate supplements, his endocrinologists switched him over to calcium citrate, and it made a big difference.

Oh good. That is the calcium I have. Does he take it with magnesium or anything else?
#5 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 10:27 PM

He's on a prescription dose, it's just straight calcium, but then he also takes a D4 supplement with it.

#6 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 AM

I haven't been eating enough kale and collards lately, plus I'm pregnant, so I I've started taking calcium supplements.  I have been mostly vegan for more than ten years, and even during the month or two I was not vegan, I was only eating eggs, not dairy.  For most of that time, I relied on luck and/or leafy greens, and my calcium levels are good.  Apparently, I either am naturally good at retaining calcium, or the requirements (especially for someone not consuming a high-protein, standard American diet) really aren't as high as we think.  I'm just taking the supplements for the baby, to be extra sure.

Now that our CSA is done for the year, I'll be eating a lot more kale and collards, shipped from California.  Eating locally is great in theory, but the huge downside I found to it is that, on many weeks, the high-calcium greens were simply not available, and if they were, their quantities were limited and/or they sold out quickly.

#7 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Broccoli is my go-to.  I also drink almond milk, which has plenty of calcium.

energy.gifDD 06/05, angel3.gif DD 02/07, bouncy.gif DS 02/08, babygirl.gif DD 01/12

#8 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Tofu coagulated with calcium sulfate (gypsum) is also a good source of calcium.  You can make it yourself for a fraction of the price of storebought tofu (google "making tofu").  You may have to buy the calcium sulfate online, but if you live in a big city you can probably buy it at an asian supermarket. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page