What's for dinner? Winter thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had some meals planned out, but I'm prego and by evening they sound awful to me. So I end up eating something like cream of wheat for dinner and DH has to fend for himself. Here are the 2 meals I've been trying to make for the past 5 days. I'm hoping to make them tonight and tomorrow. 

Greek pasta salad: pasta w/cucumber, tomato, dill, parsley, greek olives, feta (optional) in an olive oil/lemon dressing

Kale, sundried tomatos and mushrooms served over polenta with artichokes on the side

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 105 Old 03-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Last night I made "noodle pie" with leftover pasta...Used the noodles as a crust and poured in egg/cheese/spinach (along with sauteed onion and garlic) and baked it.  The little has decided he will only eat things that aren't touching each other...so he picked out a couple of noodles and then ate a bunch of pineapple.  We enjoyed it tho'.  

Tonight I think we'll have kale and tofu--boring but it's what's in the fridge...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#63 of 105 Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Last night I made "noodle pie" with leftover pasta...Used the noodles as a crust and poured in egg/cheese/spinach (along with sauteed onion and garlic) and baked it.  The little has decided he will only eat things that aren't touching each other...so he picked out a couple of noodles and then ate a bunch of pineapple.  We enjoyed it tho'.  

Tonight I think we'll have kale and tofu--boring but it's what's in the fridge...

That noodle pie is a genius way to use up leftovers! im totally doing that! Tonight is chop suey using leftover veggies that have been sliced since fri when a friends family came for lunch. Im making a fried rice using the last 2 eggs so I can make room in the fridge fpr the 2 flats my aunts bringing on wed!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#64 of 105 Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM

Boring turned into SUPER yummy.  I made a simple brown rice pilaf with onion and mushrooms and then the skillet sauteed tofu from Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarians.  I'd forgotten how much we like that recipe!  Then, using the leftover marinade and nutritional yeast, I made gravy for the tofu/rice.  The kale was just steamed...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#65 of 105 Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM

Tonight is tofu thai red curry on rice noodles and salad. We had friends over for lunch so its a good way to use the sliced veg up.

#66 of 105 Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM

BBQ seitan ribz, coleslaw, corn  and fruit YUM!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#67 of 105 Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM

We were on a role of healthy eating..but tonight it's going to be a bit on the heavy side..running out of ideas and energy :(

Here's what were have been eating..

Sat: marinated portabella mushrooms with sauteed tomatoes, walnuts and kale over quinoa (accompanied with friends and red wine!)

Sun: marinated tofu scramble, steamed asparagus, fried zuccini and brown rice

Mon: Vegan pizza with tofu topping and steamed broccoli

Tonight (Tues): cheesy egg 'breakfast' burritos.  DS will take his on the side and do toast as he's not a big burrito kid.  

Tomorrow (wed): Most likely crock-pot black bean and sweet potato chili..as I'll be out of the house ALL day.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#68 of 105 Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Yest was insanity. By the time the kids dinner came around I gave up and poured cereal added flax meal & sliced banana & called it a day!

My wonderful dh brought home green curry for us and I made a veggie plate w olives,avocado,cuke,peppers,tomatoes. It was a nice quiet tv "date" w the kids in bed

Tonight was tofu stirfry w pb coconut sauce on rice w salad. I had big plans this march break but Ive been horribly lazy & busy

FIL texted me that theyd take the kids 2moro if Dh and I would like to have sometime out...heck ya! A REAL DATE!!

#69 of 105 Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Went to Trader Joe's today and picked up a bunch of stuff...so tonight, we had home made refried beans on top of TJ's whole wheat tortillas (they are awesome, taste like the kind I make without having to make them ;) with salsa, guac, fajita veggies and tomato.  DS LOVES salsa--so he ate copious quantities of salsa with his bean/cheese quesadilla.  Tomorrow night will probably be swiss chard, field roast "sausage" (it's been on sale!) and rice.  

Saturday I'm thinking split pea soup in the crock pot...it's going to be in the 70s and I want to play outside all day, not cook :)

#70 of 105 Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Wishin: Which split pea recipe do you use? It sounds good to me lately! Never made it before. 

Tonight's dinner was simple. Broccoli, baked sweet potatoes and egg salad. Our chickens are laying eggs faster than we can eat them! Egg salad is a good way to use up a bunch. 

I got Vegetarian Mother's cookbook from the library. I've checked it out before. Off to try and figure something out for dinner tomorrow...

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#71 of 105 Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Would you mind sharing your recipe for:  crock-pot black bean and sweet potato chili. That sounds great!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#72 of 105 Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Tonight I'm making fajitas from vegetarian mother's cookbook, along with her mexican rice recipe. Also going to have refried beans - but from a can. 

Cindy

#73 of 105 Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Cindy, I just do a standard vegetarian one based on whatever I've googled that day (usually involving lots of onion, garlic, celery and carrots along with the split peas).  I actually find that it tastes better if I cook it w/o the crockpot--but I'm lazy about it.  I would also love your sweet potato/black bean chili recipe!  

#74 of 105 Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM

Tonight is tempeh fajitas. Ive never worked w tempeh before. Ive got it marinating in fajita sauce that dhs cousin gave us for xmas. Going to sautee onions, peppers and mushrooms with it. A friend of ours gave us a tortilla press as a "welcome baby gift" LOL so I get to make me own tortillas w-out having to roll every single one out! Im excited. Hopefully dh picks up some tofutti sour cream and some salsa on his way home eat.gif

#75 of 105 Old 03-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Wishin&hopin: Thanks! I think I'll make some this week! And I think it was gator-mom who had the sweet pot/black bean chili. Sounds good to me too though. :-)

Caiesmommy: I'm pondering a tortilla press too. But do your tortillas come our pliable enough to make into tacos? 

Anyone making anything festive for St Pattys day? I'm not, but I wish I were eating something that was. Sort of missing corned beef and cabbage today - though I don't REALLY want to eat corned beef. 

Cindy

#76 of 105 Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I only now received an e-mail notification to this thread again!? Weird! dizzy.gif I thought nobody posted here anymore! LOL

Anyway, I'm trying to work on my weekly planning by picking a book at a time and this past week as well as this coming week has been/will be Lindsay's Happy Herbivore.

I have to pick this week's recipes still though and will report back! thumb.gif

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#77 of 105 Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM

I gotta say im not sure how I feel about the tortilla press. Im going to roll by hand w my new rolling pin next time and ill compare. Theyre VERY small and take quite a few presses/revolving the dough to make a thin tortilla. Im sure once I use it a few times I may like it

I will say I HATE tempeh. Hate it Hate it Hate it. Next time I'll do refried beans and sauteed veg. 

Im going out for the day w a friend and dh has a meeting at 6..so itll be a fend for yourself kinda night

#78 of 105 Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM

Caisemommy: That's funny. I like the texture of tempeh - but it has to be used in the right dish. I often find it used more in dishes with a sauce. The Vegetarian Mother's cookbook fajita recipe uses tofu (and also adds carrot, zucchini and cauliflower to the peppers and onions). But I'm leaving the tofu out and using beans. 

I never made the fajitas on Friday. DH wanted to go out and my tummy felt sick - so we went to a vegan japanese restaurants and I had curry udon noodle soup. So I'm going to make them tonight.

I think I'm going to make the lima bean lasagna from Veg Mother's this week. Maybe a faux meatloaf too, Not sure what else. Anyone have any good ideas for me??? 

Cindy

#79 of 105 Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Instead of split pea soup we ate dinner last night at a neopolitan pizza place--the weather was just too lovely and they had a great patio.  Tonight we had cold sesame noodles with baked tofu and veggies (the smittenkitchen.com recipe) which even the small one enjoyed (he had his veggies and tofu and noodles all in separate plate compartments--a requirement for him :)

#80 of 105 Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Making something new tonight I am going to present to the kids as 'dippers'. It is simply eggplant, zuch, and tofu breaded and baked with marinara to dip in. Nothing fancy but I am hoping the fun name will help get them to try it. I am doubtful though...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#81 of 105 Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Im trying to get by with as little of a grocery shop as possible. Dh is grabbing almond milk and a few pieces of fruit frm the grocery store tonight. Im clearing out the fridge and somewhat the pantry this week

Tonight is Rice Gnocchi(Never tried but jumped in excitement when I saw it) mixed w a brushetta dry mix a friend brought home from italy and some canned tomatoes frozen spinach and chickpeas. The brushetta mix is too spicy for the kids so theyll get reg tomato sauce on theyre noodles. And salad

Tues-Slow cooker day- Rice and beans(using kidney beans I think) using up the leftover canned tomatoes,diced carrot, corn,onion,veggie juice and spices. With steamed broccoli

Wed-Tortilla casserole. Homemade tortillas,refried beans,leftover tomato sauce,diced carrots,leftover frozen spinach and corn w daiya mozza cheese or a packet of nacho cheese stuff I found in the health food store.. Well have it w the leftover sour cream

Thurs-Prob something in the slowcooker or sandwiches. Thurs is a hectic day

Fri grocery shopping

#82 of 105 Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Wishin: My daughter is the same - I have to put pieces of our dinner all separate for her!

So I didn't make the lima bean lasagna. I remembered I had a butternut squash needing to be used so I made the butternut squash lasagne from the book. I made the tofu cheese but it wasn't very flavorful so next time I will probably use ricotta. I like the butternut squash sauce a lot though. Served with salad.

DH got home late and didnt eat (after I spent hours making this and was SOO tired after). So we'll have it again tomorrow. 

Thursday I think I'm going to make bean balls and make them into meatball subs - DH can use his real frozen meatballs he bought this weekend. 

Friday I'm going to make split pea soup. 

Cindy

#83 of 105 Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM

The bruschetta gnocchi was amazing! SO flipping good. Yest I made the rice and beans a double batch so we'd have leftovers.

Tonight was suppose to be tortilla casserole but I have no energy to roll tortillas so the kids and dh are having perogies and Im having leftover rice and beans. WEre having it with green bean mushroom sautee and salad.

Ill make tortilla casserole 2moro and throw in the leftover rice and beans.

#84 of 105 Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

Tonight is Rice Gnocchi(Never tried but jumped in excitement when I saw it) mixed w a brushetta dry mix a friend brought home from italy and some canned tomatoes frozen spinach and chickpeas. The brushetta mix is too spicy for the kids so theyll get reg tomato sauce on theyre noodles. And salad

Caiesmommy,

how is the bruscetta mix? Living in Italy right now, I have to admit I never seen anything like it here! (Sicily is sometimes very different than the main land though! wink1.gif) Bruscetta here is just cut pieces of bread drizzled with olive oil and cut up fresh tomatoes and herbs/spices...

Aside from that though, the dish sounded nice! winky.gif

I'm still making meals from Lindsay Nixon's Happy Herbivore.

On the weekend we had Portobello Steaks with mashed potatoes and veggie medley (=cut up carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, leek, 1/2 c veggie broth, salt, pepper --> all in a big pan and roast in the oven @ 400 F for 1 h yummy.gif)

Monday was leftover day, Tue. home made tomato soup (not HH's recipe!) and grilled cheez sandwiches (I used Vegan Vittles' recipe), yesterday curried carrot soup with home made bread (both also my own recipe) and today was originally planned to have smoky Black Bean Enchiladas.. but DS has caught a stomach bug (DD had it last week) and is vomiting all day..,greensad.gif DH has to work unexpectedly, so it'd only be DD and myself... I think I'll save it for tomorrow's dinner.

#85 of 105 Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM

I actually think my friend got it in sicily. Ill have to find the mix. Its just dried spices u mix w oil & water. It was so good!

Tonight Im in a rush & fams stopping by so I just made a batch of hotdog muffins. Nasty good :) Im giving it to the kids w salad and broc. Try and make it a semi healthy meal ;)

#86 of 105 Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I actually think my friend got it in sicily. Ill have to find the mix. Its just dried spices u mix w oil & water. It was so good!

Tonight Im in a rush & fams stopping by so I just made a batch of hotdog muffins. Nasty good :) Im giving it to the kids w salad and broc. Try and make it a semi healthy meal ;)

Oh wow, how funny! Yes, please, if you could find the mix and tell me the name, I'd love to know! thumb.gif

I ended up having brown rice and 'pizza beans' (lima beans baked w/pizza sauce & black olives). yummy.gif

#87 of 105 Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Field Roast veggie sausage has been on sale at our co-op so last night we had caramelized onion, swiss chard and apple sage field roast over brown rice...yummy!  Tonight is lentil soup (sauteed carrot/onion/celery w/ garlic/cumin/paprika/bay leaf and green lentils and spinach) and some yummy manchego w/ crackers.  

AND, we are under our budget for going out to eat at restaurants this month!!!  Proud of us!

#88 of 105 Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 AM

The bruschetta mix is in a clear bag w a brown lael. Just says Bruschetta Casereccia and has a picture of leaves then under says Nu Poce Capri. 

No I think she got it in Caprese lol

So this weekend and next week is looking hectic. Im so lost of what to make come next week. Im really going to try and make the tortilla casserole 2nite. Ds is going to help me w tortillas..which is prob doubling the workduh.gif

2moro we have a funeral,sun a bday party,wed eye dr and shrek the musical,thur karate and grandparents day @ dds nursery school(so family staying over),sun international yoga show. Ill need a little namaste.gif come Sun

#89 of 105 Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The bruschetta mix is in a clear bag w a brown lael. Just says Bruschetta Casereccia and has a picture of leaves then under says Nu Poce Capri. 

No I think she got it in Caprese lol

So this weekend and next week is looking hectic. Im so lost of what to make come next week. Im really going to try and make the tortilla casserole 2nite. Ds is going to help me w tortillas..which is prob doubling the workduh.gif

2moro we have a funeral,sun a bday party,wed eye dr and shrek the musical,thur karate and grandparents day @ dds nursery school(so family staying over),sun international yoga show. Ill need a little namaste.gif come Sun

Thanks for letting me know!smile.gif

Out of curiosity I'll have to have a look when I'm shopping locally next time.

Your upcoming week sounds busy! I had to laugh about the smiley you used for DS helping you making tortillas! LOL That's how I feel every time my youngest wants to 'help' me! nut.gif

No planned meals yet.. I'm not sure whether I should continue cooking from Lindsay's Happy Herbivore book or pick another one!.. Heaven knows I have tons of books that haven't even been cooked from! shy.gif

#90 of 105 Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 AM

I usually love cooking with my 3 yr old. She does make a bit more of a mess but she's pretty good at helping and it keeps her happy and occupied while dinner is made. Of course she still won't eat what she helps cook. 

No idea what dinner will be here. Hopefully at a restaurant. LOL. I was exhausted last night so DH heated up a cheeseless Amy's pizza and made a salad. We love that pizza from Amy's - they are normally almost $9, but I found them at Target for under $6. 

Cindy

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page