What's for dinner? Winter thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 105 Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

I usually love cooking with my 3 yr old. She does make a bit more of a mess but she's pretty good at helping and it keeps her happy and occupied while dinner is made. Of course she still won't eat what she helps cook. 

1 kid is usually great to cook with...a 5.5 year old and a 3 year old together...no not @ all fun

So I think Ive got my week planned out

Last night kids had scrambled eggs and fruit and I made dh & I a batch of red curry soup w pineapple and rice noodles

Tonight-Fried rice and tofu stirfry of some sort & salad

Tues-tamalie pie in the slowcooker(I think) & salad

Wed-(eye dr & shrek) Pasta-gluten free bruschetta pasta for me,dh & my aunt. Reg noodle and sauce for kids w salad(hoping to prep tues nite)

Thurs(karate & grandparents day@ school)-Sloppy lentil sandwiches in the slow cooker w salad

We seem to eat a lot of saladyummy.gif

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#92 of 105 Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Last night I made beanballs and used them in place of meatballs on top of pasta along with some veggies. 

Tonight I think we're doing taco night. Just beans with toppings.

Tomorrow is chickpea cutlets (baked) with a white gravy (tastes like chicken fried steak this way) served w/broccoli.

We had thai takeout on saturday night. I had a coconut based soup that was really good and I know DH likes it. So I think I'll try and make some sort of tofu/veg thai coconut soup on Wed. Just need to find a recipe I like.

And I've also been pondering making pot pies again. I have the most insanely good recipe I got off of this thread a long time ago. It's going to rain tomorrow through the end of the week so I think soups and comfort foods will be good!

Cindy

PS: Yeah - I can imagine trying to control 2 kiddos in the kitchen! LOL! 

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#93 of 105 Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

This week is also a bit mix-matched for us... 

Sunday we had chickpea cutlets (also baked winky.gif) with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies, yesterday we had 'Mac and cheeze' from Alicia C. Simpson's recipe (similar to Lauren's von Vegan Yum Yum http://veganyumyum.com/2009/01/mac-cheeze-take-2/ ) and today fried rice with peas and I had the tofu from Passionate Vegetarian after it's been mentioned here! (Thank you for that; I should use the book much more often!!!) It was delicious! For the kids and DH I made the 'meat balls' from Vegan Vittles since I knew the kids won't touch tofu *sigh* and thankfully I got everyone's approval! wink1.gif

Not sure yet about the rest of the week.. I somehow wanted to go with 'Vegan Vittles' recipes this week but I'm not sure if I'll stick to it! LOL

Vegan Princess,

please share with us which pot pie recipe it was! 

The coconut base thai soup sounds yummy too!

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#94 of 105 Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Fitmommy: I haven't made the soup yet, but here is the recipe I printed out to try:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/vegtomyum.htm

And here is the pot pie recipe I use below. There is no crust recipe included so I use the crust from vegan dad (I do not follow the rest of his recipe for the pot pie though). The crust is AMAZING!! My non-veg husband thinks it's the best pot pie crust he's ever tasted.

Crust:

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2007/09/chicken-pot-pie.html

And here is the pot pie recipe, copied from a thread on mothering:

"Certainly! It's from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook, my favorite cookbook. It's kind of alot of work, but so worth it. If you need a pie crust recipe to go with it, let me know. I use a basic one made with WW pastry flour.

TOFU POT PIE

Make a pie crust, enough for a 2 crust pie. Bake the bottom shell at 400 for 10-15 minute, just until slightly browned on the edges.

Combine in a paper bag:
1/2 C flour
2 T nutritional yeast flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Add 4 Cups frozen and thawed tofu cut into 1/2-3/4" cubes. Shake to cover cubes.
Saute the cubes in 1/4 C oil until lightly browned. Then add:
1 C chopped onions
1 C chopped celery
1/2 C chopped carrots
1 1/4 C fresh or frozen peas

Saute until onions are limp then add:
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Put this mixture in the partially baked shell and cover with Golden Gravy (recipe at end). Cover with 2nd pie crust, poke top crust and bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until top is golden.

Golden Gravy
1/2 C nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 C flour
1/3 C oil
1 1/2 C water
2 T soy sauce
3/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper

Toast the yeast and flour until you can start to smell it. Add the oil and stir while it bubbles, and turns golden brown. Add the water, still stirring with a whisk, until it thickens and is like gravy. Stir in soy sauce, salt and pepper.

When I make this I usually add potatoes in small cubes and green beans, I think the peas get way too mushy but they'd probably be OK if you added them right before baking and didn't saute' first. This makes a really tall and hearty pie - my family of 3 usually eats it for 3 meals if we have it with salad. Also, we have a fun tradition with this meal - when I make it I tell dd and she's excited all day because she can't wait until dinner so she can see which design I put on the crust - sometimes a heart, or a sun, or a moon, or a letter of the alphabet."

Cindy

FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#95 of 105 Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Cindy!!!flowersforyou.gif (Btw, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with a non-veg husband here! wink1.gif)

#96 of 105 Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM

This week we've done way to much take-outgreensad.gif. Wed by the time we got home from Shrek we grabbed thai food for us and our family. We got home at the kids bedtime so to start cooking then wouldn't have ended well. 

Thurs we had sloppy lentils, homemade baked fries and salad

Dd is staying w my aunt for the weekend so we decided to take ds and baby out to a poutine restaurant for some vegan poutine.eat.gif I of course ate dairy...and am still paying for itirked.gif

Tonight is falafel,hummus,a few veggies we have and carrots.

Not sure about 2moro since its FINALLY the yoga show and we have an apt w our real estate agent or Mon since were running low on fresh stuff and wont be shopping until tues am. Can't wait for next week and less running around.

#97 of 105 Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

No clue yet what to make next week...shy.gif I think I'm gonna go with Dreena Burton's 'Eat, Drink and be Vegan" and pick a few recipes out tomorrow.

#98 of 105 Old 04-01-2012, 06:34 PM

Tonight DH is grilling. We're grilling marinated portobellos, sweet onions, peppers and pineapple. And having baked potatoes with that. 

I just did my menu planning for the week while DH cooks:

Mon: Rasta pasta: pasta, steamed veggies, red onion, kalmata olives, hemp seeds all tossed in a maple balsamic sauce

Tues: thai coconut soup that I never got around to making this week, along with fresh spring rolls w/mango and avocado inside and a peanut/coconut dipping sauce

Wed: stirfy over rice - I think tempeh, broccoli, snow peas and shitakes with a kecap manis sauce

Thurs: mushroom & tortellini soup with sauteed chard on the side

Fri: pizza & salad - going to try out a honey whole wheat crust recipe I found

That's about it! I'll probably make banana bread again this week and maybe a batch of granola. 

Cindy

#99 of 105 Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Im dying to start grilling again! I miss it so much.

Last night I made dinner for my Grandma. We had pb noodle stirfry w mango salad

Tonight-pasta w tomato sauce for the kids. Bruschetta gluten-free pasta for dh and I. With a huge salad. Chickpeas for protein

Tues-Honey "baked" lentils w brown rice in the slow cooker. Prob w green bean/red onion sautee & salad

Wed-Cauliflower/potato/chickpea curry w steamed rice. Salad of some sort(Making extra steamed rice for fri)

Thurs-Sweet and sour tofu w rice in the slow cooker

Fri-Fried rice w terryaki "chicken" strips and whatever veg needs to be eaten

#100 of 105 Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Strawberry spaghetti and asparagus!

#101 of 105 Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Strawberry spaghetti? Do tell!

My week looks like this. We have relatives coming for the 2nd half and they are meat eaters (and also DH's relatives) - so DH plans to bbq a lot. I'm sure they won't mind eating all veg if that is what we serve them, but I know DH would love to eat steak, etc with his brother. Anyway, I don't really like meat cooked in my house so he bbq's it. 

Mon: Lentil soup w/dumplings

Tues: purple cabbage,green bean, edamame, red pepper, baby corn, water chestnut stir fry over coconut rice

Wed: take out deep dish pizza with my new fave salad with apples and cranberries and a honey dijon dressing

Thurs: BBQ - shish kabobs w/tofu, mushroom, onion, pepper, pineapple served w/lemony roast potatoes from Veganomicon

Friday: Rasta Pasta (pasta w/steamed veggies, olives, onion, hemp seeds, parsley, basil and a maple balsamic sauce)

Saturday: probably BBQ again but we're not sure what

sunday: no clue! take out probably after the relatives leave

Cindy

#102 of 105 Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Last night I made the curry tofu recipe from Veganomicon and an impromptu quinoa fried "rice" with onion/bell pepper and peas (I used coconut oil in it which made it AWESOME with the curried tofu).  Tonight will probably be the same thing...

We start a LONG drive tomorrow to go visit family so, for the road we'll have the  field Roast "Celebration Roast" that was on sale at our co-op--it makes awesome sandwiches so we'll have that tomorrow night in the car.  We are going to a rural part of Michigan and there will be limited vegetarian options...anyone have ideas for food we could take with (easily) that would keep us from eating veggie pizza for a week?

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#103 of 105 Old 04-22-2012, 09:12 PM

Tonight we had rasta pasta. Here is my menu so far for the week:

Mon: quinoa bowls: quinoa, kale, avocado, cucumber, scallions, nori in a ginger sauce

Tues: bbq kabobs and lemony roasted potatoes (didn't make this last week)

Wed: split pea soup and a salad w/apples and cranberries

Thurs: veggie meatloaf w/brocolli

Fri: lentil rice casserole w/some sort of veggies on the side

Cindy

#104 of 105 Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM

I've been trying a few new things and altering recipes lately.

Last night was a curry chickpea salad and corn on the cob

-pinto bean soup using leftover salad w masa dumplings

-pigeon peas and rice w corn on the cob

Tonight is potato cauliflower chickpea curry on steamed rice

#105 of 105 Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM

I just made the BEST casserole ever...not bragging or anything ;)

So, I used actual cheese (just a mild cheddar) where they call for cheese product.  I also used the boxed vegetarian/no msg cream of mushroom soup that was on sale at the co-op.  I threw in two crumbled field roast apple sage veggie sausage.  I used brown rice.  I also added about 10 chopped mushrooms when I sauteed the veggies.  Oh, and instead of bread crumbs I used slivered almonds...oh, and I put hot sauce on my portion.

I think it would lend itself well to various variations...I'm wishing I'd chopped up some red bell pepper with the other veggies.  

Otherwise, it was awesome and my two year old liked it :)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page