What's for dinner? Winter thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been slacking in the past weeks again..shy.gif but even if I don't post and don't have a plan for dinner, I always enjoy reading others' meal plans and often get inspired by it, so let's hear it again, please! 

My DH is gone for a bit to get operated in Germany, so it's only me and my 2 kids (and the cats & fish orngbiggrin.gif), in which time I'll probably 'wing it' a lot of these days since DS is still a terribly picky eater (he'd live off noodles, bananas, pretzels & yogurt if I let him) and while DD is better and has recently become a vegan herself *yay* she's not too open for many options just yet..

Yesterday we had taco soup, tonight will be leftover veggie barley soup..[DS will have tomato soup with some toast..]

Friday I'm thinking we'll just make a nice pizza with veggies DD enjoys as well and DS gets his own little one with cheese

For the weekend I'm planning on cooking another new (to me) vegan Mac 'n Cheese recipe. I think I've gathered about 5-7 different recipes so far and while I've found some real yummy ones -Isa's Mac 'n Shews being one of my favorites http://www.theppk.com/2011/02/mac-shews/ - I'd like to test them all out! winky.gif

So, what about you?

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#2 of 105 Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Tonight it's pumpkin curry over brown rice. I've been using dried cranberries instead of raisins lately. I love pumpkin curry because there are always leftovers for lunches. K won't eat the curry, so she gets rice, plain tofu and steamed broccoli.

#3 of 105 Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 PM

We had chili with poblano, anaheim and bell peppers, 5 beans, etc.... I always add some cinnamon, it gives it a really unusual flavor

#4 of 105 Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Yay for a new thread! Last night we had sesame ginger noodles with broccoli. Haven't planned the rest of the week. I am completely out of ideas.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#5 of 105 Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Tonight I made herb noodles.  I first had them in Austria about 20 years ago. I chopped up about 6 types of herbs and added them to some finely chopped and sauteed shallots.  Added a bit more olive oil and sauteed the herbs a bit.  The tossed in some whole wheat spaghetti pasta. Steamed some broccoli on the side.   Also, made a cucumber salad w freshly chopped dill.  I picked up some fresh picked little cucumbers at the vegetable market today.  I slice the cucumbers super thin on a mandoline and toss with Evoo,Acv, chopped garlic and s&p.  I just love using fresh herbs. 

#6 of 105 Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Tonight we had roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and turnips with moroccan seasoning on couscous with chutney and hot sauce. Odd combinations I know but tasty and healthy. Tomorrow is red beans and rice. After that not so sure.

#7 of 105 Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Last night I made gingery red lentils and served them over brown rice.  Dh and I had a salad with pears, pomegranate seeds and goat cheese to go along with it.  I didn't bother making a veggie for the girls b/c they devoured all the snap peas in the house while waiting for dinner.  

Tonight I'm going to make tacos, and tomorrow I haven't yet figured out. 

#8 of 105 Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Pasta with quick cashew alfredo and a pile of steamed broccoli last night. I think I am going to make pumpkin baked ziti with carmelized onions and sage breadcrumb topping tonight.

#9 of 105 Old 12-10-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

Pasta with quick cashew alfredo and a pile of steamed broccoli last night. I think I am going to make pumpkin baked ziti with carmelized onions and sage breadcrumb topping tonight.

Yum!!! Ever since I came across the 'Hurry Up Alfredo' sauce, I'm addicted to it! LOL

I have yet to make the pumpkin baked ziti.. It sounds delicious!

This week I've been slacking a lot due to DH still being gone (he's coming home tomorrow *yay*); I've made a quick lentil-spinach dish I had with a baked potato one day and the next on top of brown rice. DD ate it the first round with me but wasn't loving the spinach in it too much..

We also had a barley veggie soup,  a quick dinner with faux burgers and french friesshy.gif and pasta w/tomato sauce and 'bean sausages' another night.. I'm hoping to getting back to a real meal plan this coming week again! (Here's to hoping! orngbiggrin.gif)

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#10 of 105 Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM

my next and last semester of school is going to be crazy so I am currently trying to stock up my freezer (and some of my in-laws since mine is pretty small).  I've just been doing double batches of just about everything so that we can eat it and freeze some.  Here's what I've made so far:

-Veggie enchiladas

-pizza dough

-individual crustless quiches

-lasagna

-minestrone soup

Tomorrow I want to make some veggie pot pies

Probably spankopita, eggplant parmesan, hot and sour soup, lentil soup, calzones and chili over the next week or so..I haven't exactly figured out which days I'm making what yet.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#11 of 105 Old 12-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I found some organic alphabet noodles and made alphabet soup with carrots, snow peas, onions and celery it was a big hit with the kids:)

Tonight I think I am going to make sandwiches with field roast or seitan and melted almond cheese and top it with sauteed veggies of some sort...

be good family...

#12 of 105 Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Just because dinner was so yummy...

a saute of onion, kale, apple and italian field roast sausage

over quinoa cooked in veggie broth

and 

red kuri squash roasted with a bit of butter and maple syrup  

And, best of all, my 20 month old tried and liked ALL of it!  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#13 of 105 Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin'&hopin' View Post

Just because dinner was so yummy...

a saute of onion, kale, apple and italian field roast sausage

over quinoa cooked in veggie broth

and 

red kuri squash roasted with a bit of butter and maple syrup  

And, best of all, my 20 month old tried and liked ALL of it!  

That sounds good and I have all the ingredients.  How much apple?  I have the apple sage sausage which I am sure would be delicous.

Let me know the details of your sautee. 

#14 of 105 Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 AM

Okay, 

sauteed onion in olive oil till getting soft, then added the woodier parts of the kale, threw in two apples (sliced fairly thin with peel left on), let apples cook for a bit, added the rest of the kale.  Then added the sausage and cooked until kale done.  Only seasoning was a little salt and pepper.  

Apples and onion cooked together are usually a good bet!  You could also sub white beans for the sausage but increase the seasonings.

Served over quinoa cooked in veggie broth. 

Enjoy!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#15 of 105 Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM

I see this thread isn't too active but I need ideas! A loft of my standbys are from these threads. 

Ive been on bedrest after doing ivf. I'm craving an easy soup tonight after all the frozen food I've been eating. I found a Yummy lentil sweet potato soup recipe that looks easy to do. 

Pardon my typos...I hate typing on my iPad. I'm still resting right now,

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#16 of 105 Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

DH made a mushroom quinoa last night with a side of broccoli.  Tonight: vegan tempeh tacos with black beans and smokey cashew cream.  

#17 of 105 Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM

For Cindy...last night I made "milk soup" as my little called it (okay, really, he just signed milk frantically after he saw me put the milk in the cream o broccoli).

sauteed in butter

diced lg sweet onion, 2 stalks celery, 1 carrot, a bunch of broccoli and a couple cloves of garlic

once veggies were getting soft and smelled yummy I added salt and pepper and enough veggie broth to cover them and simmered until everything was cooked.  

Pureed the whole thing and added 1 cup of whole milk.

My little ate a cup and a half of the soup and wouldn't touch the bread and butter I served with it!  

#18 of 105 Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM

Sounds yummy wishin'! And how do I wish my little would eat the soup I make! She'll have a couple tiny sips off a spoon if I'm lucky. She is SO picky/non-willing to try anything!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#19 of 105 Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Tonight we had teh best simple supper...a pot of pinto beans with some rice, chopped onion and fresh salsa. YUM!

Tomorrow is pasta night so I think I am going to make a what my son calls olive oil noodles with sausage and broccoli. There is more to the sauce than olive oil but I just kinda throw it together.

Friday I want to make some soup but can't decide between lentil or a minestrone type soup.

If I can manage to make a pan of seitan Saturday we will have mushroom and onion gravy with seitan over rice and roasted green beans. Then again I beleive I have some tempeh. Maybe I will just crumble the tempeh into the gravy. Hmmm....

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#20 of 105 Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Last night we ate over at a friend's house - GF pasta, marinara, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and a "salad of doom" - lettuce, radishes, pears, kiwi, hempseed, avocado, raisins, carrots, and creamy shallot and lemon balsamic vinaigrette.

Tonight, stepson, husband and I will have tropical curried black eyed peas and steamed sweet potatoes over rice. The not-quite seven year old will skip the curry and have a side of tofu with her sweet potatoes and rice.

#21 of 105 Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Tonight we are going to have mushroom stew (think beef stew without meat...just lots of yummy mushrooms in a rich tomatoey sauce) over quinoa.

#22 of 105 Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM

Ooh, I need to make a creamy vegan soup, it's been a while. I've been eating a lot of soup lately but the canned variety, lol. I've also been making my ziti pasta with pink saucea lot, with almond cream.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#23 of 105 Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM

I needed this thread. I am getting bored with our standbys. Tonight I made carrot soup, which is my son's favorite. It's lovely to cook something that he'll actually eat. :) The soup is a bunch of carrots, like 2 potatoes, and onions and garlic, today I added celery. Just add water or stock and cook it til they are soft and then blend it up good with some soy milk (you may need to remove some of the broth so it doesn't get too thin) and some raw cashews, if you have them, which I almost never do. 

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#24 of 105 Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM

We had potato leek soup for lunch with fresh green beans, then veggie pizza with tofu ricotta and a chopped salad for dinner.  I also made herb scalloped potatoes, homemade seitan, and tahini miso dressing today.  I wanted to cook up a bunch of stuff for the week :-)  Tomorrow I am making a big batch of rice and some chili.  Then we'll be set for a few days :-)  

#25 of 105 Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:

Tonight we are going to have mushroom stew (think beef stew without meat...just lots of yummy mushrooms in a rich tomatoey sauce) over quinoa.

Do you have a recipe for this.  Right now beef stew is sounding wonderful to me--I think it has to do with the warm comfort food idea.  I would love something that I could make that would work with my new way of eating and still cover that need for comfort food.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#26 of 105 Old 01-22-2012, 02:36 PM

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/mushroom-bourguignon/

I've had really good luck with her recipes in general!  Enjoy

#27 of 105 Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM

YES this recipe is AMAZING.  I've made it many times.  So good!

Quote:

#28 of 105 Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

I love smitten kitchen! I never go wrong with anything she posts.

#29 of 105 Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 AM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:

Thank you!  That will be dinner tonight!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#30 of 105 Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I'm another one who's going to give this recipe a try.  Looks and sounds very yummy!

We have an early dinner tonight due to swimming lessons and I don't have a clue what I'm going to make.  I have a major toothache and am not hungry which makes it even more difficult.  Ds1 just asked "what's for dinner mom?"  Sigh....probably something easy like pancakes or french toast.

Other dinners this week will be chickpea burgers, a curry lentil, spinach dish and pasta with cashew "cheese" sauce.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page