How long will it take for my body to acclimate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am just entering my second trimester. Hyperemesis and the cold weather have made it nearly impossible for me to even maintain my weight so I decided to give up veganism. I tried adding extra fats and calories where i could but i kept losing weight. I intend to go back to  veganism when weight is no longer an issue.

After 9 years of veganism my stomach feels.... confused.

The first few days i was nauseous more mainly because of the new smells but i have been slowly getting used to them. I got some probiotic juice and live soy yogurt which have been helping. I am still afraid of milk yogurt. It seems silly to most people but ack.

Is there anything else i should be doing to acclimate    

its been about a week

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Nina

I'm curious, what advantage cows milk products have over soy milk products in terms of calories or nutrients?

I am not a vegan just wonder why you would need to give up your chosen life style if you don't want to.

It is VERY normal to lose weight during the first trimester.  As you had hyperemesis (this means severe morning sickness, right?)  it is probably normal that you are not gaining weight yet.  Treatment or management of the nausea would be a better approach than adding food that makes you feel sick to your stomach.  Is your doctor trying to blame the lack of weight gain on veganism?  I would definitely blame the hyperemesis.

With that said, a vegan diet is probably limiting and I don't think anyone could criticize you for deciding your baby needed  a wider range of food available.  For one thing, when I was pregnant, I felt that I had to eat RIGHT NOW and not when I got home or had time to cook something. 

I don't think that answers your question but I just wanted to express some support and hope that you are feeling better soon.

Tags
Vegetarian
User Tag List