Homemade Vegan Icecream - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any good recipies? I would prefer to use coconut milk and add protein some how.

thanks

be good family...

#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you do not have an ice cream maker, this is a simple way to make ice cream to use in a couple hours. Like all homemade ice creams, if you leave it in the freezer too long it will become very hard.

1 can regular coconut milk REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT BEFORE USING

2 Tbsp Honey

Coconut cream will rise to the top of the can. It is easier to remove when it is cold. I prefer Thai Kitchen brand, though they do have BPA in the cans. Native Forest is a BPA free can, but isn't quite as thick and is more expensive. However, it makes fine ice cream. Carefully remove cream from top of can. Place in small mixing bowl. Whip using electric mixer until thick. Add honey. (If using whole can of coconut milk and not just the cream, add 3 Tablespoons honey.) Whip briefly.  You now have whipped coconut cream for use on all kinds of yummy foods.

For ice cream, leave whipped coconut cream in mixing bowl and place bowl in freezer. Every 20 minutes stir whipped coconut cream being careful to scrape the frozen mixture from the sides of the bowl and mix it well with rest of cream. After two to two and a half hours you will have ice cream.

Ice Cream Variation

Make Coconut Ice Cream as above. When adding the honey also add 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder (if just using cream or 4 Tbsp if using entire can.) Continue with Ice cream recipe as above.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 PM

This doesn't really address your desire for protein, but I thought I'd mention it because it's so simple, easy & delicious.

Just freeze bananas, mangoes and berries. Use either frozen bananas or mangoes (or both) as your base, add frozen berries if you want, cinnamon & vanilla optional. Blend in the food processor until smooth, then gradually add milk (I use almond but coconut would be good too) and continue blending until it's a good consistency to eat with a spoon.

Our favorite combo is banana raspberry.

You have to eat it before it melts or it turns gooey, but it can also be re-frozen. It's so good! My DS asks for it all the time.

You could experiment and add nut butters for the protein boost!
#4 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

This doesn't really address your desire for protein, but I thought I'd mention it because it's so simple, easy & delicious.
Just freeze bananas, mangoes and berries. Use either frozen bananas or mangoes (or both) as your base, add frozen berries if you want, cinnamon & vanilla optional. Blend in the food processor until smooth, then gradually add milk (I use almond but coconut would be good too) and continue blending until it's a good consistency to eat with a spoon.
Our favorite combo is banana raspberry.
You have to eat it before it melts or it turns gooey, but it can also be re-frozen. It's so good! My DS asks for it all the time.
You could experiment and add nut butters for the protein boost!

You can also freeze banana slices (on wax paper lined cookie sheet) and eat as is OR you can just mash them with a fork and you get ice cream consistency.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM

I know this is an older post, but I just started making my own vegan ice cream.  I use a 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio of coconut milk (full fat) to soy milk. I save 1/4 cup of either milk, mix with 2 TBS arrowroot powder.  Set aside.  Mix the remaining milks (2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup soy milk)  with 3/4 cup sugar on stovetop- bring just to a boil.  Take off the heat and mix in 1 TBS vanilla and the arrowroot slurry.  It will thicken a bit.  

Chill and then mix in ice cream maker according to directions. 

For chocolate, just add 2/3 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips to the mixture before boiling.  Mix well to incorporate melted chocolate chips and cocoa powder. 

I added chopped almonds and dandies marshmallows after running it through the ice cream maker :-)  Rocky road!  Delish!

Vegan Scoops is a good recipe book.  I just don't like using all soy milk, and prefer the taste and creaminess of coconut milk.  So I just sub that in (again, 2:1 or 2.5:1 ratio CM to SM.)  

#6 of 6 Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Oooh, interesting! I'd love to make our own icecream one day.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page