How important is a vegan or vegetarian, local community for your children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant, and already anxious that my child will feel that s/he is part of a community consisting of one household only - ours.  Members of other philosophical minorities (members of minority religions, for example), nonetheless seem to have huge communities, complete with opportunities for fellowship, compared to my knowing one other vegan Mom (the sister of a friend) in the entire metropolitan area, and her child will be nine years older than mine.  We have other vegan friends, but for the most part, they are childless and plan to always remain so.

How helpful has it been, or do you feel it would be, to have other veg*n families, child-friendly veg*n groups, etc., for your children to know and be a part of?  If you live in an area rich with veg*n children, how much has it helped?  If you are the only veg*ns in town, how much has that been a problem?

#2 of 5 Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have been pretty heavy handed in the discussions of eating meat. "I don't think that chicken wanted to be eaten." "How sad, all those dead chickens on the BBQ spits." etc. Needless to say, my son chooses to be vegetarian (he turns six this week.)

My husband eats meat when we eat out. My family all eat meat. Several of his friends eat meat. I'd say about half of his close friends and probably most of the kids in the homeschooling group. It's not that big a deal. I think junk food is a bigger draw. 

Now, if the carnivores in your life want to shove it down your baby's throat, that's a whole different problem. I just don't have that problem. Everyone I know is respectful of our lifestyle.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM

I feel similarly. There is a charter Waldorf school here that serves vegetarian lunches, and a big part of why I want my dd to get in is so she doesn't feel left out if everyone else eats meat. So far, my dd isn't all that interested in meat, as we don't eat it at home and don't go anywhere it's served very often, but she does know that she's a vegetarian and that there are certain things that vegetarians don't eat. She's only 2 1/2 though, so it will probably get harder.

#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM

I really don't think it is very important at all.  One time we had the opportunity to join in with a semi-local vegan group and we found just the minimal amount of effort needed on our part wasn't worth it because besides the eschewing of the use of animal products we had very little in common.  Every once and awhile it's nice to vent and exchange recipes, but we have each other and the internet for that.  Some consider it an advantage to live in an area with a larger vegan community because there will be potlucks and restaurants, but we've found those usually aren't very healthy in any case.  We had some vegan friends for awhile and I had a harder time with food with them than with my nonvegan friends because they used so many mock meats, sugars, oils, processed ingredients, tons of salt!  While our choices are often defined by our veganism, our personalities and interests rarely are so the community my children actively seek in their lives rarely makes demands on what people are wearing or putting on their plates.  My oldest is actually dating a hunter right now, not sure how that will ultimately play out -they met through their passion for archery.

Of course we would love for the world to be vegan just so we wouldn't have to smell murder everywhere and see the horror and brutality of it every time we shop at the grocery store.

#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 AM

I grew up vegetarian and I can't remember having any vegetarian or vegan friends my age. I survived ;)

For my own son, however, I am constantly seeking out other vegan families. I want him to feel like he has a veg culture. We use meetup.com to find other vegan families.

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page