Mothering Forum banner

your family's favorite soup?

Tags
vegan
584 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  wytchywoman 
#1 ·
i tend to make the same few soups over and over. delicious, yes, but we need a change. even when i browse my cookbooks, i land on the same recipes:

moroccan chick pea stew

egyptian red lentil (or green split pea) soup

Indian-style split peas with cumin and coconut milk

simple veggie soup with ABC pasta

curried sweet potato with apple

mushroom barley

what soups are your families crazy about?

#2 ·
I love Miso soup! I bought a ton of seaweed and shitaki mushrooms last spring and have been on a huge miso soup kick ever since then. I usually fry some tofu while a bunch of mushrooms are steaming then toss in the miso and let it dissolve after I turn the water down. I usually keep it simple but sometimes add other veggies to it.

Another favorite of mine is thom kha gai thai soup by simmering a ton of ginger, onions, garlic, cilantro, lemon grass, straw mushrooms and if i can find it galangal (i think i spelled that wrong) in water with a litlte curry (i add more to mine so my kids dont get theirs too spicy) then when all the veggies are nice and soft I add a jar of coconut milk (not the drinking kind but the kind in a can).

I also like to make curry soup with gram marsala and a random assortment of veggies and a meat substitue of some type.

Today we had sauteed veggies and udon noodles with miso broth... I love soups in the winter:)

#3 ·
This 'Green soup" is really good and my son loves it.

6 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, sliced
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), woody stems snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Heat 1/2 cup broth in a large pot over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add leek and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add remaining broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in asparagus and broccoli and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat and set aside to let cool slightly. Carefully transfer soup to a blender and purée in batches until smooth.

It freezes well too.

We also love chili. We eat that a lot in the winter.

This is an awesome vegetarian french onion soup recipe. The prep time is nuts but of you have the time it was so worth it. Everyone loved it. http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2010/08/07/henris-french-onion-soup/

#8 ·
I make a 3 bean soup-

Kidney bean, black bean and vegetarian refried beans

Cans of tomatoes

can of salsa

Chili powder

Chopped up onion and bell peppers any color fine tho i like to mix them

SImmer and Eat.... Top with cheese and cilantro- it is so good.

#10 ·
homemade chicken noodle soup. I wait until split chicken breasts are on sale. Fill a large pot about 3/4 full of water. Add cut up carrots, celery and an onion. Dump a nice handful of italian seasonings in and some sea salt and pepper. A couple of turns of EVOO and add the chicken breasts. Boil for ten minutes and then simmer for about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken, bring back to a boil (add extra water if needed) and add pasta to cook. Shred the chicken and add back to the soup when the pasta is tender and serve. Easy, yummy and best of all CHEAP!

#13 ·
My kids won't touch soup of any kind, so sad...

But DH and I LOVE kale, white bean, soysage, and potato soup. I don't have a recipe i just throw it together but it is amazing especially if you put just a drizzle of balsalmic in at the end. YUM!

#14 ·
Corn Chowder is super yummy and can easily be veganized if wanted. I just do two cans of creamed corn, potatoes, onion and evaporated milk. Plain hemp milk is a good vegan substitute as well. Let it cook until potatoes are soft and then top with fake bacon bits. Easy and a real comfort food kind of soup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.