Eggplant recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm having a hard time finding eggplant recipes that don't use a ton of oil or a ton of cheese.  I would love to hear if they exist, and if anyone has a favorite. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know it is totally opposite of veggie, but I have a bunch of friends in our homeschool coop who are paleo and they seem to find a ton of eggplant recipes - have you googled any eggplant paleo stuff? i will try to see if i can find some that they have been posting.......i just got a dehydrator for christmas and am very anxious to try making eggplant "bacon".....:) anxious to hear what anyone else says!!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#3 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Here's an Indian dish:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2009/10/09/baingan-bharta-eggplant/

I have not tried this particular one, but have made other recipes from that site with success.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM

I do an eggplant "parm" and an eggplant rollatini that are both baked (not fried in oil) and you can use a tofu ricotta or cashew cream.  I'm pumping but let me know if you want more info, I can get it to you when I have two hands free :-)

#5 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM

i would love to see them both when you can!!!

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#6 of 16 Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM

I made this recently and it was amazing.  I haven't had the eggplant bacon by itsself but I hear it is amazing.

http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/scalloped-potatoes-and-eggplant-bacon/

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#7 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM

i LOVE the post punk kitchen!!!!!!! i looked at that recipe but haven't made it yet.....:)

#8 of 16 Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

I do an eggplant "parm" and an eggplant rollatini that are both baked (not fried in oil) and you can use a tofu ricotta or cashew cream.  I'm pumping but let me know if you want more info, I can get it to you when I have two hands free :-)

No rush, but I would love both those recipes.  

Oh, and thinks for the link to the post punk kitchen.  I had never seen that site before; I am glad to have another one to look at!

Amy

#9 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 AM

Eggplant is one of the most popular vegetables in Turkish cuisine, although most recipes are not exactly light on the oil.  Here is a link to a website I like.  You may find a recipe you like.

http://almostturkishrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/05/eggplant-dishes.html

#10 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 AM

I used to put a can of tomatoes, fresh sliced mushrooms and eggplant and garlic in a pot and saute it up and put it over noodles or ate it alone. It was very good.  Very comfort food like.  Of course I did grate Parm Reg cheese on it but you would not have to I don't think. Very easy.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#11 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 06:18 AM

I do eggplant in garlic sauce.  Broil the eggplant until tender.  Cube.  Sautee w/ sliced garlic, soy sauce, a little sesame oil and greens (I usually use gailan - chinese veg, but you can use any veg you want).  I also roast garlic (cube, s&p, little olive or coconut oil) and then serve with spaghetti sauce or any kind of sauce, really, on top.  Another thing I just recently learned (from wwww.primal-palate.com) is to slice the eggplant into about 1/2 in slices, broil (or grill), cut a hole in the center and then fry an egg in the middle.  So the eggplant replaces the bread.   You can also use a spiral slicer or just slice the eggplant really thing and use it like a "noodle." 

I love eggplant.

I just realized this was a veg*n post!  Don't know if you do eggs, and I'm a primal/paleo eater but I guess the worlds do collide every now and then!

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#12 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM

I slice the eggplant (lengthwise for rollatini, widthwise for parm) and brush lightly with oil (not necessary- you could just wet it with water).  

For parm, dredge in a mixture of flour, breadcrumbs, salt pepper and herbs (basil, oregano).  I don't measure, I just put about 1 part flour to 4 parts bread crumbs.  (Don't bread the rollatini slices)

Place on lightly oiled baking sheet and bake at 400 until tender and golden brown, flipping halfway through.  It doesn't take long if you sliced it fairly thin.  

Layer in a baking pan with marinara sauce (for "parm") and tofu ricotta (recipe below).  Top with remaining ricotta.  bake until bubbly.  

For rollatini, let the eggplant slices cool, then put about a tablespoon of ricotta on one end and roll up gently.  Place in a baking pan (I use a pyrex ceramic dish) and layer with marinara.  bake until bubbly.  

Sorry it's pretty vague- I just wing it in the kitchen.  But here is the tofu ricotta recipe:

1 package (16 oz or so) extra firm tofu, pressed for 10 min or more to release extra water 
1/2 10 oz. package frozen spinach, drained thoroughly (I press mine through a sieve) 
1/3 cup nutritional yeast 
1/4 tsp salt 
2 tsps dried basil 
1 tsp dried oregano 
1/2-1 tsp minced garlic (or garlic powder to taste) 
Black pepper to taste

While eggplant cooks, transfer tofu to a bowl and crumble it with hands. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, and spinach. Mix it well with hands, crumbling through fingers till it resembles a bowl of crumbly ricotta cheese.
FitMOmmyOf2 likes this.
#13 of 16 Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM

I love eggplant just grilled.  Slice it about 1/2 inch slices, brush with a little bit of oil, and toss on the grill until softened.  A little salt and pepper.

Baba Ghanouj is also delicious - it's just like hummus, only it uses roasted eggplant instead of chickpeas.  With tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper, etc...

Eggplant caviar, which is usually served as a spread for crackers or bread (as a veg option to pate), but you can also use it in sandwiches or wraps. 

I love Szechuan spicy eggplant, which is just stir fried eggplant in chili garlic sauce. 

Or Indian curried eggplant. 

Or if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just cut my eggplant into fingers, toss them with a little oil and roast them like I would sweet potato fries.  They shrink like mad, but once they get crisp around the edges and a nice dark brown they're so yummy. 

You can even marinate them like a pickle or marinated artichoke hearts.  Some recipes use oil, some don't. 

Eggplant is used in lots of different cultures, and only a few of them load it up with oil or cheese. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM

Eggplant is a veg that is pretty much a staple here in Sicily and I cook with it a lot, though not many variations.. Guess I should, after seeing this post! winky.gif

I mainly cook it as 'Norma Sauce' which is tomato sauce w/eggplant (I bake the eggplant, peeled & sliced and brushed with EVOO first for ~10 min each side @ 350F) and we have it over pasta

as well as over rice or quinoa.

I've also had it now in a zucchini lasagna w/cashew ricotta 'cheez', it was really tasty!

Today I've made Eggplant-Lentil Goulash from Vegan Vittles (if you google the recipe, it should come up in Google Reader!) and it tastes really nice.

Baba Ghanoush was also nice, I've only made it once and a bit too salty for my taste, but that was my own fault! LOL

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#15 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Wow, thanks for all the ideas.  I am excited to try them!

Amy

#16 of 16 Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM

notes2.gif This thread is making me hungry. I'm adding eggplant to my garden this year and needed new recipes too.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page