cookbook with lots of pictures - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a cookbook I can let my kids look through and pick out dinner/lunch ideas from...  something that has lots of pictures and uses mostly healthy ingredients(and preferably meatless, dairyless and soy free) - bonus points if all the recipes are easy ...  anyone have one like that that they like?

I have super natural every day by heidi swanson, and that isn't bad... (vegetarian, but uses soy/dairy)...   most of my usual go-tos have very few pictures...

thanks!!

:)

#2 of 5 Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Do you do a lot on the internet? You might check out pinterest.com and search for Vegan/Vegetarian ideas.  There's a particular board called Art Vegan that has some great pics!  This way you could collect pictures and recipes for things you would like or could afford or easily make and let your kids choose from that.

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

I have "Peas and Thank You - Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family will Love" by Sarah Matheny.  I LOVE it!  It's my first vegan cookbook.  There are wonderful full-color photos of each recipe, and photos and stories of the author and her children throughout.  It's an enjoyable read as well as a cookbook.  The recipes I have tried so far have been great.  I highly recommend it.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#4 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyh_01 View Post

I have "Peas and Thank You - Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family will Love" by Sarah Matheny.  I LOVE it!  It's my first vegan cookbook.  There are wonderful full-color photos of each recipe, and photos and stories of the author and her children throughout.  It's an enjoyable read as well as a cookbook.  The recipes I have tried so far have been great.  I highly recommend it.

Me too, I love this book.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 5 Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM

I cannot give a high enough recommendation for Marie Simmons' Fresh & Fast Vegetarian. She doesn't have photos of all her recipes, but she has a lot, and the recipes are extraordinarily good.  I have a lot of veggie cookbooks -- including almost the entire Moosewood corpus -- but this is far and away the best one I've used.  

For a photo-for-every-recipe, you can't beat the giant Best-Ever Vegetarian Cookbook, but a lot of the recipes are really fussy to make and they often require some tweaking to come out right.  Basically good stuff, though, and really good, step-by-step illustrated instructions for the more complicated elements.  

I have a couple of other photo-for-every-recipe books, too: one's just called Vegetarian,by Fiona Biggs, and it's pretty good, lots of variety anyway.  The other is The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook, by Bay Books.  Don't have much experience with that one.  

I'd recommend checking out the bargain-book displays at your local big-box bookseller, too; there's often a lot of cookbooks on the bargain shelves for (usually) no more than $5-15 apiece, so it's worth the risk of grabbing one you've never heard of.  These big bargain-oriented cookbooks tend to be heavier on the photos than other kinds of cookbooks, so you might find something more like what you need.  

Oh!  One more idea.  If you subscribe to a magazine like Vegetarian Times, they often have loads of illustrations for their recipes.  Also, since they're magazines, you're likely to see more seasonally-oriented recipes, which is great for using good fresh produce, etc.  

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

Tags
Vegetarian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page