Vegan gluten free breakfast suggestions ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im trying to  add more vegan food into our diet along with more of a raw diet ,any suggestion on what to feed the kiddos for breakfast .

We just started eliminating wheat and do whole grains only in moderation

Blessings

Blessings ,

Raya

joy.giftreehugger.gifpraying.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpg

#2 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Smoothies!  We love making smoothies, and my toddler loves them.  I can sneak in greens and other healthy foods and he doesn't notice.  Great way to get probiotics (soy yogurt or coconut milk kefir), protein (I sneak in hemp protein powder), greens (either leafy veggies or greens powder), and some fruits.  Delish, too!  

#3 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea ! we love smoothies

Thanks

smile.gif

Blessings ,

Raya

joy.giftreehugger.gifpraying.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In the kids smoothies I put coconut oil or coconut cream concentrate, raw honey, flax seed meal, almond butter, bananas, mango, spinach, blueberries, almond milk and rice milk. I tried without the rice milk, but they didn't like the taste with just almond milk. (I LOVE the taste with just almond milk.) I don't use the coconut or almond or rice milk in my smoothie just to save me the calories. I used to put raw egg as well, but if it didn't get drunk right away it didn't taste so good. What doesn't get drunk by the end of the day goes to the chickens the next morning.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Of course, there are gluten-free cereals to which nuts and/or fruit can be added for heft, and there are gluten-free hot cereals (such as cream of rice), as well.  I like a really hearty breakfast, and I've been experimenting with non-soy breakfast patties.  This one is gluten-free, or can be if you get the right soy sauce:

http://joshuaploeg.blogspot.com/2010/06/vegan-breakfast-patties.html

I know the soy sauce is not soy-free, either, but I am not concerned about small amounts in my current diet.  It's high in fat, but this is not necessarily bad for children, especially in whole seed form.

The Brits like baked beans for breakfast.  I don't, but I can see why it's healthy, and maybe your kids would enjoy it.  Instead of toast, you could serve them with breakfast potatoes.

#6 of 9 Old 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM

My kids like sliced bananas stirred with cinnamon, raisins, and pecans... also greens with thawed frozen fruit, ground flax and crumbled walnuts

5791375819_d71783d953_m.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM

We go through breakfast "phases" around here, where certain things are popular for some time before we get tired of them and move on to something else. Right now popular breakfasts are corn cakes (like rice cakes, but made with popped corn...I think they're called corn thins) spread with peanut butter and served with a banana on the side and also soy yogurt topped with that new KIND granola. DH prefers to have a KIND bar, sometimes with a yogurt on the side. My youngest son likes variety, and often requests an "assortment plate" which usually has some combination of dried or fresh fruit, yogurt, corn chips or granola or some kind of nuts/seeds. On weekends we usually make pancakes or waffles for one morning.  It's nice to switch things up so they don't get boring!

#8 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM

You can buy gluten free oats for oatmeal. I also love to make pancakes using oatmeal. I eat dairy so I put eggs in mine, but you could use flax or an egg replacer (I can't recall what is in egg replacer so I have no idea if it's gluten free?). I know trader joe's sells gluten free waffles - not sure if they are dairy free though. But you can put gluten free pancake mix into a waffle maker at home.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#9 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM

My children's diets are not gluten free but sometimes their meals are.

For a quick breakfast, my children will have smoothies and a GF English muffin (Food for Life brand) with peanut butter or cashew butter.  Sometimes they will have Nature's Path GF Crunchy Maple Sunrise cereal instead of the Eng. muffin.  Buckwheat pancakes are also a favorite.

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page