Do you rely on rice/pasta? Can you suggest any alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I feel like so many of my meals rely on pasta/rice/noodles.

Other than soup, what kind of satisfying vegan meals do you make that don't use rice or pasta? 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20**24*** 28***32***36***40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do some vegetable curries that stand alone well. Have you tried that?

Also my latest Moosewood has a shepard's pie that's yummy. If you're interested in either I'll get you recipes.

#3 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Always interested blowkiss.gif

I think that it's just habit that I ALWAYS have curry with rice.  Lately I serve my dahl curry as more of a soup with no rice, and my veggie curry with the tiniest portion of rice I can bear...  

Obviously BB, you know I'm trying to kick some kilos, so cutting a bit of rice and pasta would probably help me a lot!

#4 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Oh while I'm thinking of it here is another recipe I mess around with- use veggie stock, yummy! It looks bad but it's soooo good and you can make it in a flash from what you always have on hand, Or at least I usually do.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-african-yam-soup/detail.aspx

#5 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Black-Bean-and-Sweet-Potato-Hash-%28Moosewood-Restaurant-New-Classics%29/21344/

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/curried-lentils-and-sweet-potatoes/

I add vegetable to this curry, also sometimes chickpeas.

Looking for the shepherd's pie from Moosewood online. It's from New Classics and has no tofu which I adore. I don't want to type it out but I will tomorrow if I can't find it.

#6 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM

We don't eat much rice or pasta.  We do a lot of bread though.  And soup... Salads, sandwiches and soups for lunch.  For dinner I make some sort of veggie protein (homemade seitan, tofu, tempeh, beans, etc) and veggies in some form.  That could mean tempeh and roasted veggies or potatoes with gravy or salad or green beans, etc.  We eat mexican food a lot, too.  

#7 of 31 Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Have you tried other grains? Quinoa is a whole protein, and while still a bit carby not to the degree of rice and pasta. We also eat a lot of sweet potato and squash, sometimes subbing that for the rice in a rice bowl type deal, so we'll have a sweet potato mash or roast them with other veges and a miso gravy. We also have an amazing chili recipe that is cheap and nutritious which we'll often make biscuits to go with it, or it's really easy to add veggies. We don't eat a huge amount of soy products, but I do love tempeh and we'll throw some tempeh or tofu in at times to fill something out. Hope that helps!

Doula, teacher, designer, maker. Living above the mangroves, looking out over the water in beautiful Aotearoa with my husband, our dear friends and a little grey cat.

#8 of 31 Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  That gives me some ideas.

I have been experimenting with quinoa, but only as a stand alone sort of dish, not as a replacement for rice or anything like that.  I do really like it though.  Things like Tempeh and Seitan seem to be really hard to come by here, I have never been able to buy any.  I might have to look for a seitan recipe. 

#9 of 31 Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 PM

wow, I'm so glad I looked at this thread, great recipes, thanks for posting them! smile.gif

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 31 Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

Thanks.  That gives me some ideas.

I have been experimenting with quinoa, but only as a stand alone sort of dish, not as a replacement for rice or anything like that.  I do really like it though.  Things like Tempeh and Seitan seem to be really hard to come by here, I have never been able to buy any.  I might have to look for a seitan recipe. 

Veganomicon has a seitan recipe that is really easy and really delicious.  Can you get vital wheat gluten?  Here, they sell it even at the "normal" grocery stores, near the rest of the flours.  All the other ingredients are ones you will definitely have access to- soy sauce, garlic, etc.  You might even be able to find the recipe on the author's website: just google "post punk kitchen." 

#11 of 31 Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Tacos- beans, corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, avocado, lime wedges

Broiled polenta wedges with pesto and tuscan white beans

Curried red lentils with seasonal veggies, frozen spinach, coconut milk over quinoa

Roasted potatoes, lentil loaf and whatever veggies are in season.

Black bean sweet potato enchilada casserole

#12 of 31 Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers petey44 - I did find the seitan recipe on PPK.  I really do need to get my hands on a copy of veganomicon though.  I will have to check out the vital wheat gluten, but I guess I might be able to get it from a health food shop, or online. 

<actually, a quick google - it might be harder than I thought! it's not looking good>

Catnip - thanks for the polenta wedges idea!  I have never really known what to do with polenta, but I just found a pretty awesome recipe on Google for spicy wedges.  Sounds like my style. 

The rest of your meals are things that I like, so we might have common tastes! 

#13 of 31 Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Black-Bean-and-Sweet-Potato-Hash-%28Moosewood-Restaurant-New-Classics%29/21344/

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/curried-lentils-and-sweet-potatoes/

I add vegetable to this curry, also sometimes chickpeas.

Looking for the shepherd's pie from Moosewood online. It's from New Classics and has no tofu which I adore. I don't want to type it out but I will tomorrow if I can't find it.

The black bean/sweet potato hash was awesome! My 6 year old even loved it and I wasn't too optimistic about that. I changed the spices a little to make it DD friendly and we all loved it.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#14 of 31 Old 01-31-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

The black bean/sweet potato hash was awesome! My 6 year old even loved it and I wasn't too optimistic about that. I changed the spices a little to make it DD friendly and we all loved it.

I'm glad you liked it. We do a double batch around here and even serve it to company. I hate cutting up yams but it's very worth it.

#15 of 31 Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

Tacos- beans, corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, avocado, lime wedges

Broiled polenta wedges with pesto and tuscan white beans

Curried red lentils with seasonal veggies, frozen spinach, coconut milk over quinoa

Roasted potatoes, lentil loaf and whatever veggies are in season.

Black bean sweet potato enchilada casserole

Can you please post these recipes, or links to them? Especially the curried lentils and enchilada casserole. Yum.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#16 of 31 Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Both of them are on my blog: http://catnip13.blogspot.com/

#17 of 31 Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 AM

• Roasted vegetables with white beans - a great, easy winter dinner.

Just add a rinsed can of white beans about halfway through the cooking time of your roasted vegetable recipe.  I would normally serve this with bread, and possibly some steamed greens depending on what vegetables were in the roasting pan.

• Shepherd's pie.  I usually make it with lentils, but there are recipes with tempeh, TVP, and probably other fillings, as well.

• Chickpea croquettes:  http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11087

(I don't bother with the vegan feta, since it's not available near me, and I'd have to make it from scratch, but I imagine it would be good.  Joanne Stepaniak has a Betta Feta recipe that calls for marinating tofu in a brine for a few days.  It's very tasty.)

• Other patties, e.g. these quinoa "burgers" (which don't actually need a bun):  http://www.spryliving.com/recipes/quinoa-burger/

• Burritos, usually black bean and salsa, sometimes with quinoa and veggies added, as well.  A little vegan cheese is optional.

• Chili, if that doesn't count as soup

• Enchiladas

#18 of 31 Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm all over those croquettes!

#19 of 31 Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM

Quinoa could be a great alternative. I sometimes use it in the place of rice but I am more likely to eat it as porridge in the mornings and stirred or sprinkled into my other meals throughout the day.

#20 of 31 Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Couscous is a favorite around here, but I guess that's the same as pasta, really.  Just tiny.

We use oatmeal sometimes as a savory instead of a breakfast...adding cheese and veggies or whatever's handy.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#21 of 31 Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 AM

Similar to quinoa and couscous is AMARANTH.  My kids both love it and it's so easy to cook.  5 min at a light boil then put the lid on the pan and leave it for another 10.

It's a whole grain but tastes sweet like white rice.  sometimes I add raisins or other dried fruit and coriander leaves.  Throw in some chopped nuts and you have a main dish.

LeeLu likes this.
#22 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 AM

Here are a few things we do around here: - falafel balls served with a tahini sauce for dipping, cucumber & tomato salad on the side - I second (third? fourth?) hearty vegetable curries with coconut milk. We do this a LOT. I often add red or green lentils, or beans, or peanut butter, to up the protein content. They stand alone fine, or you can eat with whole-grain flatbread, if you want to avoid eating with rice. - Baked tofu, or tofu scramble, over garlic-mashed potatoes with steamed veggies or salad - You could make eggplant roll-ups with tofu "ricotta" - veggie wraps with marinated mushrooms, beans, salsa, avocado... we like to serve with slices of fried banana or plantain - we love all kinds of savory pies, you can make the pie crust with WW flour and a bit of olive oil, then dump in a mix of mostly-cooked veggies and some vegan mushroom soup, top with crust and bake for a while. - we make tofu stirfries, too, but we tend to eat these over Chinese noodles or rice, so I guess that's not too helpful. - we do a fair amount of sandwiches. We're not strictly vegan, though, so in our house the dinner sandwiches are usually pretty heavy on the cheese and mayo. So, ok, also not helpful! - I've made a really interesting curried red-lentil bake with rhubarb and sweet potatoes that is delicious. It's about halfway down the page on this site: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/stuff - sour Indian chickpeas, again with WW flatbread, slices of fresh marinated cucumber, and fresh mango for dessert - slices of polenta work great as a base for all sorts of things: we like to eat it with Caribbean black beans (from the Sundays at Moosewood cookbook) or with marinara sauce which we load with veggies, mushrooms, and beans or TVP.
LeeLu likes this.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#23 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM

In addition to the quinoa, I use barley (it cooks pretty quickly), millet and amaranth. I like to gently brown the millet on low while stirring before adding water and cooking it like rice. The amaranth makes a great porridge, or ground up in a spice grinder, it can be added as a flour to breads. There's also kamut, although I haven't tried it. Also, if you can find it, there's a red quinoa -- I prefer the taste. It's a bit nuttier, and much prettier.

#24 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM

OK, so I am not even remotely vegan, or even veg, but I linked to this thread through the MDC emails I get.

Anyway, I have an awesome recipe and I will have to check if it's vegan-- if not, I'm sure it's easily veganizable (new word?). It's stuffed cabbage rolls and it makes enough for a small army. LMK if you are interested.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#25 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I would be interested in cabbage roll tips in general.  I typically suck at rolling things, and when I tried to make cabbage rolls recently, I kept ripping the leaves.  I eventually just made a cabbage casserole.  If you can find the recipe, that would be awesome, but even if you can't, could you share your secret for not ripping the leaves?

Oh, we say "veganizable" a lot, so you're doing well with the lingo!

#26 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM

As a vegan, I don't eat much pasta (I'm so picky) but I love rice so I'm always cooking it in different ways so I don't get bored. I also use many different types of rice. I think my favorite is Basmati. It's so tasty and easy to make. You can also have potatoes as a base, either baked potatoes, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes. I know people who use sweet potatoes or cauliflower (mashed up) in place of regular potatoes. If you don't want to use any of those, well you can make chili with some homemade cornbread. That's a big hit here at home. You can have fajitas, tacos, shephard's pie, soup, casseroles... the list goes on. Check out some vegan cookbooks if you need ideas. You could also just make a sandwich or burger. Grains are important, just make sure they're whole grains so you can get the best nutrition possible. Good luck :)

LeeLu likes this.
#27 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 01:32 PM

No rice or pasta needed!

I'm not vegan, but have trouble with some glutens. I've been avoiding them as much as possible for years now.  I do sometimes have whole grains and have fewer problems.  So, I can offer some alternatives that I use.  I like to experiment and do not have specific recipes to offer. Here are a few online: http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/easy-ways-to-enjoy-whole-grains I like to keep the veggies as the biggest portion on my plate always.  I'll include the whole grains 101 page that I found helpful. http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101

Sweet potatoes (sweet or savory, s/s); quinoa (sometimes regular stores have it in pre-flavored packets); couscous (s/s); oatmeal (s/s); wild rices; barley; and corn.

Others that I will try in the future: kashi; amaranth; flax; buckwheat; millet; spelt; and more!

I have lost nearly 30 pounds and kept if off this way.  I hope that this helps you!  

#28 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM

I'm not vegan... but how about quinoa, buckwheat, spelt, and coucous, we have those as sides a lot :)

LeeLu likes this.
#29 of 31 Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View PostI would be interested in cabbage roll tips in general.  I typically suck at rolling things, and when I tried to make cabbage rolls recently, I kept ripping the leaves.  I eventually just made a cabbage casserole.  If you can find the recipe, that would be awesome, but even if you can't, could you share your secret for not ripping the leaves?

Oh, we say "veganizable" a lot, so you're doing well with the lingo!

You have to steam the cabbage first, pretty well whole, which takes forever! Core it and steam it. Then when you go to roll, cut the ribs out of each leaf. They aren't ever perfect. Lots of them rip. But make sure you place them seam-side-down in the pan. That way they don't undo. I have a tendency to overstuff, too...you really only need like 1 or 2 TB of filling per each, if that. Place the filling at the end nearest you. Then roll a bit away from you, then fold over the sides towards the middle, then keep rolling. That's all!

Remind me to post the recipe tomorrow...I am so.bloody.tired right nowsleepytime.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#30 of 31 Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely post the recipe please :) Sounds good. 

Lots of great ideas here.  It is crazy how different some dietary is stuff is between here (Oz) and the States.  Some I have never heard of, and I actually wonder how easy it will be for me to get some of these things (like the grains) - but I will give it a go.  Perhaps I can order over the net from someplace. 

LeeLu likes this.

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page