What's the vegan scene like where you live? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do vegans in your area tend to stay child-free, or to have children?  Are they very activist-oriented, and if so, what are some of the main causes and tactics they favor?  Is there a particular vegan aesthetic that is common, e.g. hardcore/punk?

I live near Philly, and it seems very popular to avoid having children, even to the point of the men getting vasectomies, here.  The community is pretty activist-oriented, and leafletting is the most popular tactic.  Popular causes seem to be carriage horses, the circus, and puppy mills.  There is a significant hardcore/straight edge vegan presence, but they are not the majority;  most vegans dress in mainstream styles.

I'm just curious as to what it might be like elsewhere.  I have heard hints that in Portland, for example, having children is much more popular among vegans than it is here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have lived in almost every major city on the west coast except LA, lol. In Seattle, Portland, San Francisco/Berkeley the vegan 'scene' is about the same. Most vegans dont ostricize beegans and even have friends that are veggies or more! There are some straight edge cliques out here but not as many as when I lived on the east coast. I became vegan when I met some straight edge guys in DC as a teenager, lol. I'm not sure if that answers your question in any way but I think there are two prespectives on being vegan. One more millitant and perfectionist (which I am not anymore) and the other more concentious and philosophical...

be good family...

#3 of 5 Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM

I'm in Portland... I think you all know what the vegan scene is like here, but I agree that it does seem like many vegans have children- at least it is fairly common.  Lots of vegan parenting meetups, etc.  The aesthetic is more alternative but that is Portland in general....

#4 of 5 Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM

I'm in Providence, RI. We're a mixed bag here. I know several vegans with children, as well as hard-core activist types.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM

The vegan scene here in Jacksonville, nc is almost non-existant. I'm in a local meetup group where many eat "mostly vegetarian" but there are only a couple of vegans. It's a drastic change from when I lived in asheville where there were vegan restaurants (even some with raw options) and tons of vegan potluck meetups. Those were the days....

Wife to PJ. Mommy to Jacob, Summer, & Owen.

Tags
Vegan

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page