Dairy-free, gluten-free Roasted veggie recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Anyone got any good roasted veggie recipes without dairy or gluten?

I love roasted cauliflower and also roasted parsnips. I tried roasted broccoli using just avocado oil and garlic. They were pretty plain. I'm not sure what I would do to dress them up. Maybe a bit of salt would have helped.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I've recently been reading about cooking oils. I didn't understand that oils have smoke points. http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm Over that temperature they break down into possible carcinogens. Avocado oil has health benefits similar to olive oil, but a much higher smoke point (520 degrees) so I am mainly using avocado oil in my dinner cooking. 

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I don't really have much to offer with regards to recipes, but you are right about the oils.  It drives me crazy that my Mum uses EV olive oil for EVERYTHING, and a lot of the time it is just wasted because of the way she cooks.  I've tried to explain it to her, but to no avail!  LOL

Maybe I will send her the article. 

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16***20***24**28***32*** 36***40
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I roast any and all veggies - i typically do use Olive oil - and kosher salt over the whole pan - typically i do broccoli and cauliflower, zucchini and yellow squash, red peppers, whole mushrooms, kale (so good!)  and eggplant (eggplant is the best!)

one thing i do for more flavor is coarsely chop up a red onion and place all throughout the tray.   I usually roast at 375 for 30 - 40 minutes.

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

I roast any and all veggies - i typically do use Olive oil - and kosher salt over the whole pan - typically i do broccoli and cauliflower, zucchini and yellow squash, red peppers, whole mushrooms, kale (so good!)  and eggplant (eggplant is the best!)

one thing i do for more flavor is coarsely chop up a red onion and place all throughout the tray.   I usually roast at 375 for 30 - 40 minutes.

I found a recipe that said broccoli at 425 for 7 minutes. It had lots of ingredients I couldn't use so I just did avocado oil and garlic. Would the extra time (at lower temperature) have made a difference?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM

1 pound halved brussels sprouts

1 diced onion

1 diced apple

salt, pepper, oil to taste

425 for 45 minutes

Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

That's an interesting article about the cooking oils, thanks for sharing that. I do typically use olive oil when roasting veggies but I think I will have to try avocado oil next time.

I prefer roasting veggies, but agree that some need a bit more dressing up than others. For seasoning, lately I have been using this a lot: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-safeway-select-seasoning-i271663

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 03-01-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

That's an interesting article about the cooking oils, thanks for sharing that. I do typically use olive oil when roasting veggies but I think I will have to try avocado oil next time.

I prefer roasting veggies, but agree that some need a bit more dressing up than others. For seasoning, lately I have been using this a lot: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-safeway-select-seasoning-i271663

The link doesn't show the ingredients.

This is the best price for avocado oil in glass I've found. You can also buy it from amazon in plastic and save $5, but I avoid plastic. http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B00551COSU/ref=sr_1_7?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1330618309&sr=1-7

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

The link doesn't show the ingredients.

This is the best price for avocado oil in glass I've found. You can also buy it from amazon in plastic and save $5, but I avoid plastic. http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B00551COSU/ref=sr_1_7?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1330618309&sr=1-7

Oops, sorry I didn't notice that. The ingredients are sea salt, black peppercorns, ground mustard, coriander seed, roasted onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, chili pepper.

Thanks for the avocado oil link, I prefer glass as well.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

Oops, sorry I didn't notice that. The ingredients are sea salt, black peppercorns, ground mustard, coriander seed, roasted onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, chili pepper.

Sounds yummy, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM

If you use oil (which is a better choice over butter, since butter burns), and GF spices, not sure where else you might be getting dairy or gluten in your veggies.

I roast brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potatoes, winter squash, reg. potatoes, apples, pears, endive, raddichio, fennel, parsnips, broccoli, green beans, eggplant, beet... Of all of those, none of them will be ready in 7 minutes with the possible exception of asparagus, if you have really thin spears. 

When you're roasting the first thing that happens is all the moisture has to be evaporated from the veg, and only once that happens does browning start, and you want a fair bit of browning for optimum flavor.  If you slice up a whole head of cauliflower (which works better than separating it into florets), spread it out on a sheet pan and stick it in the oven, you'll notice that over the course of 20 minutes, what looked like a huge amount of cauliflower shrinks down to a bowl's worth as the water evaporates.  Only once it has shrunk does it start browning, and that's when it's at it's best.  One head roasted until brown typically only makes a side dish serving for 2 around here. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that you need your pieces of a uniform size, which is why slicing the cauliflower works better than separating it.  If you have randomly sized pieces, and pieces that are big on one end and small on the other, they're going to cook very unevenly.  For broccoli what that means is I buy a bunch of it, and then cut it into spears so each flower has a pencil width's worth of stem attached.  The flowers cook quicker than the stem, so that way it balances out. 

As for spices, mostly I like to let the flavor of the vegetable shine through - a little salt and pepper is all that's needed.  Parsnips often get dressed with horseradish butter, brussel sprouts sometimes get blue cheese or toasted pecans and a dash of red wine vinegar, broccoli I usually toss in a vinaigrette before cooking to get good flavor coverage.  But mostly I leave them unadorned.  Although a mix of roasted veggies (roast them separately and then mix) pureed makes a really nice "mash" - like sweet potatoes, squash, apples, pears; or I like fennel and potatoes together. 

Roasted veggies also can be incorporated into other dishes - salads mostly around here. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

If you use oil (which is a better choice over butter, since butter burns), and GF spices, not sure where else you might be getting dairy or gluten in your veggies.

I roast brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, sweet potatoes, winter squash, reg. potatoes, apples, pears, endive, raddichio, fennel, parsnips, broccoli, green beans, eggplant, beet... Of all of those, none of them will be ready in 7 minutes with the possible exception of asparagus, if you have really thin spears. 

When you're roasting the first thing that happens is all the moisture has to be evaporated from the veg, and only once that happens does browning start, and you want a fair bit of browning for optimum flavor.  If you slice up a whole head of cauliflower (which works better than separating it into florets), spread it out on a sheet pan and stick it in the oven, you'll notice that over the course of 20 minutes, what looked like a huge amount of cauliflower shrinks down to a bowl's worth as the water evaporates.  Only once it has shrunk does it start browning, and that's when it's at it's best.  One head roasted until brown typically only makes a side dish serving for 2 around here. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that you need your pieces of a uniform size, which is why slicing the cauliflower works better than separating it.  If you have randomly sized pieces, and pieces that are big on one end and small on the other, they're going to cook very unevenly.  For broccoli what that means is I buy a bunch of it, and then cut it into spears so each flower has a pencil width's worth of stem attached.  The flowers cook quicker than the stem, so that way it balances out. 

As for spices, mostly I like to let the flavor of the vegetable shine through - a little salt and pepper is all that's needed.  Parsnips often get dressed with horseradish butter, brussel sprouts sometimes get blue cheese or toasted pecans and a dash of red wine vinegar, broccoli I usually toss in a vinaigrette before cooking to get good flavor coverage.  But mostly I leave them unadorned.  Although a mix of roasted veggies (roast them separately and then mix) pureed makes a really nice "mash" - like sweet potatoes, squash, apples, pears; or I like fennel and potatoes together. 

Roasted veggies also can be incorporated into other dishes - salads mostly around here. 

I'd love to hang out in your kitchen a week to roast veggies. I know absolutely nothing about roasting them. I've had success with cauliflower, but the slicing sounds good. I've also been adding a bit of water to the pan. Is that necessary.

What type of vinagrette do you add to the broccoli. I've been adding water to the cauliflower. Do I need to do that? Parsnips I did in oil and garlic. Any good beet recipes? Any other specifics to share?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I roast broccoli just tossed in oil, salt and pepper. It is also nice dressed with a bit of lime juice and pine nuts after it comes out of the oven.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I'd love to hang out in your kitchen a week to roast veggies. I know absolutely nothing about roasting them. I've had success with cauliflower, but the slicing sounds good. I've also been adding a bit of water to the pan. Is that necessary.

What type of vinagrette do you add to the broccoli. I've been adding water to the cauliflower. Do I need to do that? Parsnips I did in oil and garlic. Any good beet recipes? Any other specifics to share?

The only things that I add water/liquid to roast are your really hard veggies - beets and parsnips.  They need the liquid or they turn leathery.  Pretty much everything else has sufficient internal water.  This is the recipe I use for parsnips:  http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_parsnips/  - I usually take the foil off and let it cook uncovered for the last 10 minutes or so. For beets, I just scrub, dump them whole into a casserole dish, add a splash of liquid, cover and cook until tender.  Make sure you check the biggest one for tenderness.  You never want to cut into a beet before cooking (that includes peeling) - all the color leeches out and gets all over everything. 

For the broccoli, just pick your fave vinaigrette - the vinegar adds a little flavor, the oil coats it evenly.  Without even coating on the broccoli, the florets will scorch in places and dry out in others.  Broccoli is the only thing I'm careful about coverage with - everything else just gets dumped in the pan, drizzled with oil, stirred and cooked. 

For the roasted beets, I cut them up and top green salads, pickle them, shred them into a garlicky beet salad with mayo and walnuts (my personal fave), chop them into a chicken/potato/pickle/mayo salad for a traditional Russian dish, stir a Tbs of grated beet into the yolks for deviled eggs, etc.  There are all sorts of ways to use them, just be aware they'll turn everything red, and beet juice stains. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Helpful info.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM

I've also found that using minced or pressed fresh garlic in roasted veggies tends to result in bitter, scorched garlic bits. You can avoid this by adding the garlic in the last 5-10 minutes of roasting time, or by leaving the cloves whole. Or you can do what I've taken to doing - using dried granulated garlic added at the beginning, since it is less hassle.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM

I've never used dairy, and only occasionally used gluten (breadcrumbs), to roast veggies, and I'm nearly always happy with the results.  The only times I am not happy is if the veggies are undercooked - or, more rarely, overcooked.

I use olive oil for roasting veggies.  I've never tried avocado oil;  I am intrigued now that you share the health benefits, though it's also a time of pursestring-tightening for us, so we'll probably keep using cheaper oils for now.

Anyway, to answer your question, here is the roasted broccoli recipe I usually use:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-broccoli-pecans-10000001664785/index.html

You can change the oil, of course.  Sometimes, I use walnuts instead of pecans because my husband doesn't like pecans very much, but I like the original recipe best.

Another thing I do sometimes is add a (rinsed) can of cannelini beans to a dish of mixed roasted vegetables, e.g. butternut squash, brussels, etc.  I typically add the beans in the second half of the cooking time, or you could add them even closer to the end if you don't want them to get brown at all.  To nearly any roasted vegetable dish, I add several cloves of garlic at the very beginning of the cooking time.  Sometimes, I add herbs such as rosemary or thyme, or fennel seeds, too.  (The fennel seeds are typically for when I am doing just brussels.)

Yes, though, I always use salt.  I can't imagine cooking without it, though I'm sure it would be healthful of me to try.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

mmmm, I love roast veggies.  I roast eggplant, zuchinni, red pepper, and red onion on the BBQ (just brush with oil and after they are roasted sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper) and use the veggies on sandwiches, in salads, on BBQ'd pizza (I don't have a recipe for gluten free crust but I know they are out there!) or as a salad, or eat them just on their own.

I also love this recipe for carrots and beets from Jamie Oliver (ignore the pork chop portion, obviously) and this recipe that is very similar for Borcht (just don't add the buttermilk).  I haven't tried this recipe, but I love all of Aarti's recipies that I've tried so far (especially the fish tacos) and also while the cauliflower isn't roasted you could consider using the same seasonings on the cauliflower when roasting for a different flavor.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Those all sound yummy. Thanks

Old 03-07-2012, 02:49 PM

We have roasted veggies a few times a week.  Our favorite lately has been potatoes cut into bite-ish size pieces coated in EVOO, with salt, pepper, ground nutmeg, and thyme.  I also had some whole cloves of garlic to the mix, too.  Roast at 370 until almost tender then coat with about 1/4-1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar. Return to the oven to finish up.

I've also done the same with asparagus but put the balsamic on at the beginning! 

Vegetarian, Montessori-loving, Blogging, Doula in Training, Student Midwife Mama to A 10/17/09

Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

I use olive oil for roasting veggies.  I've never tried avocado oil;  I am intrigued now that you share the health benefits, though it's also a time of pursestring-tightening for us, so we'll probably keep using cheaper oils for now.

This is the avocado oil in glass that I buy: http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B00551COSU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331184495&sr=8-2

You can get it in plastic for $5 less. Though if you don't have amazon prime you'll have to pay for shipping or wait until you buy more to get free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B005OMKOSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331184495&sr=8-1

Old 03-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:

This is the avocado oil in glass that I buy: http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B00551COSU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331184495&sr=8-2

You can get it in plastic for $5 less. Though if you don't have amazon prime you'll have to pay for shipping or wait until you buy more to get free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Massimo-Gusto-Virgin-Avocado-Bottles/dp/B005OMKOSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331184495&sr=8-1

Oh, that's not too bad for two liters.  Thanks for sharing!

Tags
Vegan , Vegetarian
User Tag List